Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Is the collaboration with TCR good or bad?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Good
82.61%
38 82.61%
?
8.70%
4 8.70%
Bad
8.70%
4 8.70%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Is the collaboration with TCR good or bad?
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Is the collaboration with TCR good or bad?

Good Smile i believe tcr has better artists than frictional games, while frictional has better ideas. Something can always be learned, and i'd love to see frictional games grow as a company.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

06-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

I have my own doubts, but from what I read they're putting in HUUGEEEE effort to make it excellent and stay true to Amnesia. Also, the stuff we saw in the trailer was pretty.damn.good. I thought they captured the essence of amnesia very well in the scene with the monster.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
06-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Find
hainesftw Offline

Threads: 0

After having seen the teaser, I'm gonna go with "Good idea."
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2012, 10:16 PM by hainesftw.)
06-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Find
Oink Offline

Of course it's good - Dan proved with Korsakovia that he could do horror, and with Dear Esther proved that he could generate an uneasy feeling without showing any monsters or gore.

No problem at all, 'Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs' is in excellent hands.
06-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(06-15-2012, 02:00 AM)Measuring Wrote: Dear Esther was incredible. I know alot of people who hated it because its not a "game". But they just do not understand the art of games. A game do not need to be fun/cool/good. What a game needs is to give the player an experience, and this is what Dear Esther does. So does Amnesia so i think it will end up great!
This here is the primary example of the stupidest argument to ever be made in favor of TCR's Dear Esther

I played Dear Esther, and it was boring as hell, I don't care if it looked good, I don't care if it had a good story(it didn't), I don't care if it's 'art'

There are many games that are art without needing to be utterly boring as fuck and having terrible gameplay mechanics, examples are Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Psychonauts, AMTDD, Silent Hill, White Night, and many others

I feel TCR's involvement with this as the key designer's can only hurt AMFP's potential, I would feel much happier about it knowing that Frictional was in charge of developing it, not TCR
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2012, 06:27 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
06-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(06-16-2012, 06:27 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:
(06-15-2012, 02:00 AM)Measuring Wrote: Dear Esther was incredible. I know alot of people who hated it because its not a "game". But they just do not understand the art of games. A game do not need to be fun/cool/good. What a game needs is to give the player an experience, and this is what Dear Esther does. So does Amnesia so i think it will end up great!
This here is the primary example of the stupidest argument to ever be made in favor of TCR's Dear Esther

I played Dear Esther, and it was boring as hell, I don't care if it looked good, I don't care if it had a good story(it didn't), I don't care if it's 'art'

There are many games that are art without needing to be utterly boring as fuck and having terrible gameplay mechanics, examples are Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Psychonauts, AMTDD, Silent Hill, White Night, and many others

I feel TCR's involvement with this as the key designer's can only hurt AMFP's potential, I would feel much happier about it knowing that Frictional was in charge of developing it, not TCR
Personal oppinions are stupid things to use as arguments sir, I for one loved playing through Dear Esther, and so did many others.

Your argument is invalid sir.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2012, 06:53 PM by Traggey.)
06-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

(06-16-2012, 06:27 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: This here is the primary example of the stupidest argument to ever be made in favor of TCR's Dear Esther

Yeah sure The Chineseroom hurts AMFP's potential even when there would be no AMFP without them.

Why do you even think they feel like the gameplay of Dear Esther is good and works for survival horror? It was just an old experiment with games and storytelling.

Discussing about whats art does not belong here. My toilet is art.

AaMFP will be shit for you if you have an attitude like this.

06-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Find
Oink Offline

(06-16-2012, 06:53 PM)Traggey Wrote:
(06-16-2012, 06:27 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:

Personal oppinions are stupid things to use as arguments sir, I for one loved playing through Dear Esther, and so did many others.

Your argument is invalid sir.
Well said Traggey (and Khyrpa!).

Hunter of Shadows is just bitching because he didn't like Dear Esther - the problem is that he is now assuming that just because he didn't like one game from thechineseroom that the rest will automatically suck.

That is of course ridiculous - using that analogy (and turning it on its head) I should, for example, love all of Ridley Scott's films (I love Alien, Blade Runner and Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut) - but I don't, many of his films suck pretty badly.

And in case it helps, Frictional are PRODUCING the game, so they are providing a fair amount of input into AAMFP.

I would strongly suggest reading this interview (March 2012) with Thomas Grip (Frictional) and Dan Pinchbeck (thechineseroom):

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1272894...0%8Bs.html

Also, read this even more recent interview with Dan and Jessica (in four parts):

http://dumdoi.com/klarden/2012/05/dear-d...ck-part-1/

http://dumdoi.com/klarden/2012/05/dear-d...ck-part-2/

http://dumdoi.com/klarden/2012/06/dear-d...ck-part-3/

http://dumdoi.com/klarden/2012/06/dear-d...ck-part-4/

Finally, on the subject of Dear Esther, do read this Q&A with Robert Briscoe (artist on the commercial release of the game):

http://as.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/tq8...ndie_game/
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2012, 07:32 PM by Oink.)
06-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

The teaser trailer got me quite excited. With that said, I do think games should have gameplay. It's fine if someone makes games that are "art", but if you remove the gameplay from the game (like it seems they did in Dear Esther, I haven't actually played it) then I'd rather watch a movie, read a book or go to the museum to look at pottery.
06-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(06-16-2012, 07:54 PM)spukrian Wrote: The teaser trailer got me quite excited. With that said, I do think games should have gameplay. It's fine if someone makes games that are "art", but if you remove the gameplay from the game (like it seems they did in Dear Esther, I haven't actually played it) then I'd rather watch a movie, read a book or go to the museum to look at pottery.
Dear Esther was an experiment, they wanted to test if a game like such would still sell. And it did.
06-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Find