Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress [WIP] Hour of Twilight
Watskeeee Offline

Threads: 3
[WIP] Hour of Twilight

Hey members of Frictional forums! Angel

I've recently been working on my new custom stories, which also just so happens to be my first. Confused
I am not very confident on how good it will be ect, so do you guys have any tips for scares ect? I'm trying to make the atmosphere very gloomy and dark and intense, If you play the map, prepare for some poofer scares!
Anything you guys would like to see in this map? It's kind of story based and since it's my first map I'm trying to go for a more atmospheric touch to it... I have paid a friend for scripting tips so hopefully that all goes well, so far all scripting works 100%. Big Grin

Leave any feed back/tips/guides here, I've been spending quite a large chuck of my time trying to perfect the atmosphere (I can admit it's fairly bad due to my first map) Although I am expecting alot of hate/flame, try keep it to confident boosting things Rolleyes
06-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 26
RE: [WIP] Hour of Twilight

If you are going to make it atmospheric then don't use poofer scares or Teleporting naked guys. Just remember to have a well made map with a lot of detail, good looking and well placed particle systems and good sounds.

Don't have to many scares and the scares have to make sense, for example a naked guy flying in your face is not a scare that makes sense, but a book falling off a shelf or something makes a lot more sense.

Good luck Smile

06-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Find
Watskeeee Offline

(06-18-2012, 06:15 PM)SilentStriker Wrote: If you are going to make it atmospheric then don't use poofer scares or Teleporting naked guys. Just remember to have a well made map with a lot of detail, good looking and well placed particle systems and good sounds.

Don't have to many scares and the scares have to make sense, for example a naked guy flying in your face is not a scare that makes sense, but a book falling off a shelf or something makes a lot more sense.

Good luck Smile
That's the thing I'm least confident about! My map just doesnt seem to have to much detail at all, and I'm still learning the sound and particle features, they seem to be just as hard as scripting Sad I got the simple sounds like crying babies ect. locked down and ready to go, but I'm still learning how to toggle a sound eg. When you walk over a certain place in the map, If thats possible of course Big Grin.
06-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Look in maps from TDD (the dark descent(the original maps)) and look how they did the particles, sounds, decals, static decals, and billboards Smile

They created the engine and all the content so they are the masters so I suggest looking at that Smile

to make a sound play at a certain place you create a script area that the player are going to collide with then use AddEntityCollideCallback and PlaySoundAtEntity Smile

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2012, 06:25 PM by SilentStriker.)
06-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Find
Watskeeee Offline

Alright, Thanks alot! Big Grin
06-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Find
Bunnypoppop Offline

Threads: 1

I have no idea about this stuff but good luck and if you need any voice acting PM me Smile

"War doesn't determine who is right - only who is left"

Voice Actor
06-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

(06-18-2012, 06:28 PM)Watskeeee Wrote: Alright, Thanks alot! Big Grin
You're welcome, hope it helps Smile

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2012, 06:44 PM by SilentStriker.)
06-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Find