Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Import pictures into a custom story?
Wrathborn771 Offline

Threads: 10
Import pictures into a custom story?

Hello,
I am working on a Custom Story which will be a surprise for a rather famous YouTuber who does alot of Amnesia commentaries.
In this story, there will be a few pictures with fanart on the wall.
I am done with everything that I'd like to be done with, except importing the pictures.
Do you know how to do this? I tried changing one of the pictures to .dae and open in ModelEditor and then save as a new portrait, but the editor crashed when trying to open the picture.
This is probably obvious, but I'm rather new to these kinda things, so excuse me. Smile

I'm running low on my deadline, I have around 10 days left before having to check for bugs and then send to the YouTuber, so rather fast answers would mean the world for me!

Cheers
-Wrathborn771
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2012, 11:45 PM by Wrathborn771.)
06-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 26
RE: Import pictures into a custom story?

remember that you need a .dds file and then use the material editor to get a .mat file

06-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

You could also use billboards if you like. Just open up the material editor, make your new material a "solid diffuse", and load in your picture from the place it asks you for a file under "diffuse"

Billboards sometimes, in my experience, react strangely to light though, so if your billboard is too dark, you can put a small light next to it, and attach it to the billboard.
06-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Find
Wrathborn771 Offline

(06-21-2012, 09:36 AM)SilentStriker Wrote: remember that you need a .dds file and then use the material editor to get a .mat file
I renamed one of the pictures from .png to .dds if that's what you meant, but I couldn't find it in the MaterialEditor.
Can you explain in a more... Noobish way? xD
This is the first time I try to use ModelEditor.
06-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

(06-21-2012, 11:22 AM)Wrathborn771 Wrote:
(06-21-2012, 09:36 AM)SilentStriker Wrote: remember that you need a .dds file and then use the material editor to get a .mat file
I renamed one of the pictures from .png to .dds if that's what you meant, but I couldn't find it in the MaterialEditor.
You can not rename files since you need to open it in photoshop or gimp and use their corresponding .dds plugin (or find a .png to .dds converter)

The for the material editor, open the material editor change the Type from decal to solid diffuse then check the Diffuse box in Texture Units and press the ... on File and choose your picture then save the .mat file somewhere inside the billboards folder and drag your .dds file to that folder as well

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 11:39 AM by SilentStriker.)
06-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Find
Wrathborn771 Offline

(06-21-2012, 09:50 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: You could also use billboards if you like. Just open up the material editor, make your new material a "solid diffuse", and load in your picture from the place it asks you for a file under "diffuse"

Billboards sometimes, in my experience, react strangely to light though, so if your billboard is too dark, you can put a small light next to it, and attach it to the billboard.
What do you mean with 'solid diffuse'?
Sorry, this is my very first time trying on ModelEditor.

(06-21-2012, 11:26 AM)SilentStriker Wrote:
(06-21-2012, 11:22 AM)Wrathborn771 Wrote:
You can not rename files since you need to open it in photoshop or gimp and use their corresponding .dds plugin (or find a .png to .dds converter)

The for the model editor, open the model editor change the Type from decal to solid diffuse then check the Diffuse box in Texture Units and press the ... on File and choose your picture then save the .mat file somewhere inside the billboards folder and drag your .dds file to that folder as well
Aaaah! I see!
But should I include that in my custom story folder, if so, where in that folder?
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 11:33 AM by Wrathborn771.)
06-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

You will see when you open up the Material editor

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM by SilentStriker.)
06-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Solid diffuse is a setting in the material editor, where it originaly sais type: decal.
Click that dropdown button and choose Solid Diffuse.

Also as Silent mentions you can not simply rename the file from .png to .dds that will not work.

You need to get yourself Photoshop or the Gimp and download a .dds plugin which lets you export in that specific format. Use google to find these plugins to whichever image editing program you are using.
06-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-15613.html
^
Painting kit :>

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

06-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

to be able to place it in your map go in to the root folder of your Amnesia then click Billboards and make a new folder called Custom Billboards (this is just a way to easy find your custom billboards) then for the players to be able to see you need to make a folder called billboards inside your CS folder and then place your billboard there

to be able to place it in your map go in to the root folder of your Amnesia then click Billboards and make a new folder called Custom Billboards (this is just a way to easy find your custom billboards) then for the players to be able to see you need to make a folder called billboards inside your CS folder and then place your billboard there

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 11:41 AM by SilentStriker.)
06-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Find