Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Creating a good custom story
MaZiCUT Offline

Threads: 31
RE: Creating a good custom story

(06-23-2012, 02:44 PM)LulleBulle Wrote: Also one thing that is extremely important; don't use poor grammar (it's spelled supposed)
English is not my main language, you know i'm from Russia and i live in Sweden and i have to keep track of all the languages, in wich Russian is the most hardest!

And what does it matter what kind of grammar you have? I don't make an overhaul of mistakes, and people understand what i mean.

Hi.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2012, 05:31 PM by MaZiCUT.)
06-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Website Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 26

(06-23-2012, 05:31 PM)CrazyArts Wrote:
(06-23-2012, 02:44 PM)LulleBulle Wrote: Also one thing that is extremely important; don't use poor grammar (it's spelled supposed)
English is not my main language, you know i'm from Russia and i live in Sweden and i have to keep track of all the languages, in wich Russian is the most hardest!

And what does it matter what kind of grammar you have? I don't make an overhaul of mistakes, and people understand what i mean.
He means in Notes, journals and diaries Smile Since a bad grammar can ruin the atmosphere and mood of a CS Smile

06-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Find
MaZiCUT Offline

(06-23-2012, 07:03 PM)SilentStriker Wrote:
(06-23-2012, 05:31 PM)CrazyArts Wrote:

He means in Notes, journals and diaries Smile Since a bad grammar can ruin the atmosphere and mood of a CS Smile
Oh right ofcourse, such ignorant of me, please excuse me.

Updated! Added a grammar section.

Hi.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2012, 07:24 PM by MaZiCUT.)
06-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I must have missed your custom stories. All of this advice, or guidelines rather, must spring from extensive experience. But stepping away from the ironic douchiness I believe advice is always something good, it's just that (mostly on this forum) sometimes it comes from people with zero experience and no work to show.

People have a lot of ideas, but no will to complete them. That is where the true problem lies. It's always easier thinking that it's simply a mindset, or an easy fix to a problem. Creating something truly valuable is hard both workwise and "thinking wise". It's just that people "forget" that you need to work alot for something good.

Get good. Please. I browse the developement section everyday in hopes for something truly great or inspiring. What it comes down to is that you have to love the process and not only the goal. People expect fame and appreciation for what they create and that becomes the source of joy in creating something, rather than the creating itself.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

06-24-2012, 03:35 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(06-24-2012, 03:35 AM)Acies Wrote: I must have missed your custom stories. All of this advice, or guidelines rather, must spring from extensive experience. But stepping away from the ironic douchiness I believe advice is always something good, it's just that (mostly on this forum) sometimes it comes from people with zero experience and no work to show.

People have a lot of ideas, but no will to complete them. That is where the true problem lies. It's always easier thinking that it's simply a mindset, or an easy fix to a problem. Creating something truly valuable is hard both workwise and "thinking wise". It's just that people "forget" that you need to work alot for something good.

Get good. Please. I browse the developement section everyday in hopes for something truly great or inspiring. What it comes down to is that you have to love the process and not only the goal. People expect fame and appreciation for what they create and that becomes the source of joy in creating something, rather than the creating itself.
For the record, I have at least 5 full stories (about 10 maps each) that have never been released. I feel that by the time I'm done with them, I look back to the first few levels and realize how terrible they are based on how much I've learned.

I am a perfectionist, therefore I will not be satisfied until my own mapping/scripting rivals that of the original game (at the moment, my mapping is pretty close, but my scripting will take some work DSmile Even in my latest projects I feel like scrapping the first 1-3 levels because they're not 100% perfect.

I rate it 3 memes.
06-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-24-2012, 08:19 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: For the record, I have at least 5 full stories (about 10 maps each) that have never been released. I feel that by the time I'm done with them, I look back to the first few levels and realize how terrible they are based on how much I've learned.

I am a perfectionist, therefore I will not be satisfied until my own mapping/scripting rivals that of the original game (at the moment, my mapping is pretty close, but my scripting will take some work DSmile Even in my latest projects I feel like scrapping the first 1-3 levels because they're not 100% perfect.

I think you just went into my mind and pulled out what I've been thinking about my project for the last 3 months.

Also, *D: )

Posting Freak
06-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Website Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

(06-24-2012, 09:54 AM)Kman Wrote:
(06-24-2012, 08:19 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: For the record, I have at least 5 full stories (about 10 maps each) that have never been released. I feel that by the time I'm done with them, I look back to the first few levels and realize how terrible they are based on how much I've learned.

I think you just went into my mind and pulled out what I've been thinking about my project for the last 3 months.

Also, *D: )
Not sure if crying face with eyebrow, or happy face with a fancy hat. What do?

I rate it 3 memes.
06-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Find
MaZiCUT Offline

(06-24-2012, 03:35 AM)Acies Wrote: I must have missed your custom stories. All of this advice, or guidelines rather, must spring from extensive experience. But stepping away from the ironic douchiness I believe advice is always something good, it's just that (mostly on this forum) sometimes it comes from people with zero experience and no work to show.

To be honest, i've taken a time to think through all this. I've gotten a little advice from the more experienced users and about the non experience: I've actually scrapped alot of custom stories and now i started on a new one that's good in my opinion so far. There's no story or a name for it yet but why wait hours to come up with that while you can develop the levels so far? I really try hard to be original, i really mean it.

Hi.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2012, 10:53 AM by MaZiCUT.)
06-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Website Find
himynamebob1 Offline

Threads: 12

L-I-G-H-T-I-N-G not LIGHTNING
07-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

(06-24-2012, 10:52 AM)GeneralGregsworth Wrote: To be honest, i've taken a time to think through all this. I've gotten a little advice from the more experienced users and about the non experience: I've actually scrapped alot of custom stories and now i started on a new one that's good in my opinion so far. There's no story or a name for it yet but why wait hours to come up with that while you can develop the levels so far? I really try hard to be original, i really mean it.
From experience, I can tell you it's a failing strategy to begin mapping a story that hasn't been completely thought through down to the last detail. It is best to get your story first, then (preferably on graph paper) make a general sketch/design of each level.

If you just wing it and try to make it as you go, you will either get bored and quit, or won't be happy with the outcome. It's not a winning situation.

I rate it 3 memes.
07-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Find