Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Story Recommendation Thread
bored2tears Offline

Threads: 6
Custom Story Recommendation Thread

(This may be pointless, but I hope it may prevent some clutter. If it is a stupid idea, delete this thread please.)

I see that in this category, a lot of people come in and ask for a particular type of custom story. Instead of having many threads for this, I thought it might be a good idea if there could be just one major thread where people recommend/ask for recommendations.

There should be a few rules for the people posting in this thread though, just to make it less crazy (like some threads get).

Rule for People Asking for a Particular Type of Custom Story

1.) Try to be somewhat specific. Saying "I want a scary custom story" gives no help at all. People find different things enjoyable; some people like jump scare maps, while others hate them. Some people want a complex stories, while others do not. Saying something like "I want a scary map with a good story" gives people at least something more to go on.

Rules for People Recommending a Custom Story

1.)
Try to be helpful. If you cannot find exactly what they want, but something similar, try to tell them that. If there is nothing remotely like that, it also would be helpful to tell them that. Don't keep them hoping for something that doesn't exist.

2.) Do not make fun of other people. If they like jump scare maps, and you do not, do not make fun of them. People have different interests/tastes.

Yeah, that's about it.

I might as well start it off, just to get the ball rolling (hopefully it will roll for a long time).

Is there:
A map that I want to play is one that plays on my fears. I'd like a nice, well-developed map with a good story. It'd also be nice if it included some of my greatest fears, such as clowns, spiders, or the unknown. I do not want it to be a jump scare map. If a map like this doesn't exist, I was wondering if there is a map that is like the original Amnesia. It kept me on my toes, and I'd love to play any Custom Story that is like that.
06-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Find
MaZiCUT Offline

Threads: 31
RE: Custom Story Recommendation Thread

Followed by Death Chapter One and Chapter Two are pretty much like Amnesia, this is both scary and original.

Hi.
06-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Website Find
TheFallenMushroom Offline

Threads: 0

Does anyone know any good maps which are similar to Followed by death? Most custom stories i play now feel empty, no story just random naked people flying about.
06-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Find
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12

I have been told my custom story Abduction (link in my sig) is of high quality both in atmosphere and story. Some have likened it to the original game, though I don't think I deserve QUITE that much praise for it. It's a fairly lengthy one though, so be prepared for that. Expect at least an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours.

And if you like it, let me know! Or if you hate it, let me know and tell me why Big Grin

06-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Find
MaZiCUT Offline

Threads: 31

(06-22-2012, 09:35 PM)TheFallenMushroom Wrote: Does anyone know any good maps which are similar to Followed by death? Most custom stories i play now feel empty, no story just random naked people flying about.
Try playing Library of Alexandria, it has alot of originality.

Hi.
06-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Website Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

I feel like Abduction was a classic case of quantity over quality; a lot of large, not very detailed maps. Sure, the creator added a few pieces of furniture to each level, perhaps some bookshelves or a few tables, but it fell far too short on detail compared to the original game. I'd prefer more detailed maps, regardless of size; I'd rather see 2 amazingly detailed rooms than 6 large empty ones.

It was a cool story though, but I feel like it would have been better as a stand alone story and not a continuation of Daniel's adventure. Although many puzzles were the same as TDD, there were hints of originality here and there, especially the scares. The atmosphere fell short for me though; it lacked ambient sounds/detail, where are crucial for atmosphere. I'd rate it overall 7/10.

I rate it 3 memes.
06-23-2012, 01:48 AM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

La Caza is amazing. It has an original story (with some references from other games ;P) , the mapping is awesome, and the puzzles are original. If you download the full conversion, I believe you get a new lantern. It's really amazing. 9/10

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2012, 02:16 AM by RawkBandMan.)
06-23-2012, 02:16 AM
Find