Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Solution: Black Screen, White Dot
Bardicain Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago No Solution: Black Screen, White Dot

First off, computer information

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Laptop Toshiba Satellite; Model Number: A660-X
HPL.log is attached

Second: Description. Upon entering the game (and I am very excited about this) comes the loading screen, the menu written in an old-style calligraphy on a black screen. Selecting New Game, Entering a User, and starting the game, The screen is entirely black, and the intro begins. No big deal, probably just how it's supposed to happen. The intro ends and I am met with a small, but noticeable, white spot in the center of the screen, which is still black. A little confused, I try to move around and "follow" the sound of the rain- now certain that something is wrong when I happen to open the door and still be met with darkness. I now know that none of this is normal, as later I looked up the intro, to make sure. I even payed around with the graphics and advanced graphics, restarting, and trying again- to no avail.

Third. At this point, I decide to do some digging. I find multiple posts on updating drivers, and little else. First I try the "Have Disk Method". I go through all of the steps until Step 9, where I am required to select a specific file. While I am sure the file was in the folder, my computer did not detect that file (via Have Disk) and instead showed another file: kit45406.inf, and I did not install it (thanks to a computer warning earlier). Later I tried anyways, and came up with an error that it did not support my version of windows (or something like that), even though I specifically (from the Intel site, as posted on the "Have Disk Method") chose the download for Windows 7 64 bit. At this point I tried alternate methods of updating my drivers and, after much trouble, was able to locate the update for the Toshiba Driver. Installing via EXE file, and... kaput. No more installation. After that I had my computer scan for new data over the internet, yet it's response was that it was fully updated. Lovely. Going back to square one, I check some of the solutions on the Troubleshooting Guide (Skipping the "Have Disk Method") and check my HPL.log file. According to the file, my Driver was updated enough to run the game, and it did not seem to be one of the few that did not support Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I tried again to go through graphics options, even running it in windowed mode, to no avail. I am at a loss, and have nowhere else to turn. Anyone have any help regarding this issue, that does not repeat my earlier solutions, or tells me what I may have done wrong? The problem does not seem to be my Driver or Graphics Options, What else could it be?

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 6.58 KB / Downloads: 120)
07-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Find
TheRamenSage Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: No Solution: Black Screen, White Dot

I have the same graphics card as you do and I have the exact same problem! I haven't been able to find a solution and I've done everything I possibly could do. It is becoming very frustrating... my specs are attached as well.

woops, here they are!

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 5.77 KB / Downloads: 111)
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2012, 03:55 AM by TheRamenSage.)
07-06-2012, 03:23 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

First these graphics cards are not within the requierments specified needed to run the game, so that is why it is not easy to make it work.

But you can make it work and the solution is to use the have disk method, follow the guide at http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...l#pid89162 and if the latest driver does not work, then try the second latest driver.

Oh and make sure to extract the downloaded file, this is the second step in the guide and I see that the users that made the guide is using WinRar, which most don't have. If you don't have WinRar what you do is you right click on the downloaded file and then you have an option called "Extract All..." use that to extract the files.

Second guy, well you got the game from you know where so shame on you.
07-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Website Find
Bardicain Offline

First off, I know how to extract a folder, I use jZip and it works just as well. Second, I suppose I needed to downgrade or something- it's strange, but the second latest worked, and I was able to get the game running. So, to anyone who is puling their hair like I was, be sure to access the second latest (it should be marked with previous update or something) if the first does not work. Thanks for the solution, Jens!
I still find it strange as to why I would need the second latest, does anyone know why?
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2012, 09:37 PM by Bardicain.)
07-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

that's because Intel has f* up their latest drivers by including the wrong .inf file
07-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Find