Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes, another newbie!
Goomba Offline

Threads: 1
Wink  Yes, another newbie!

I'm new here, so first of all, hello to you all!

I have been making maps for Battlezone (a PC game from 1998) for 3 years now, I thought level editors must have remained the same over the years, of course I was wrong. Wink

I have made 3 test maps by now, and I have pretty much got the hang of the level editor, but I have absolutely no scripting experience (in Battlezone you can't really script things with an actual code, you can set paths and order units to do various things, but that's it) so possible upcoming questions will probably be about scripting. Tongue

I am working on my first custom story now, I want to concentrate it on immersing the player into the story, instead of pelting him/her with jumpscares which I saw you guys don't really appreciate (which is totally understandable, I don't really like jumpscare maps either). I try to achieve the same quality in mapping as the original game, and I think I'm doing quite a good job except for billboards which I didn't really get the hang of yet.

I'll give you the storyline also, which still needs some polishing:

The story will take place in 1936, you are James Davidson, a rich man that investigates and maps old castles. You are ordered to take a look at a large castle in Italy, once you get inside you get a mysterious, weird feeling all over you, in the next days the castle continues to haunt your mind with weird dreams and flashbacks that don't belong to you. One day you decide it's enough, and return to the castle to find out what's the cause of all this, whatever it may be...

No screenshots as of yet, I'm sorry but I still don't have enough (impressive) material to show to you guys, but I promise there will be some screenshots soon.

Cheers!
Goomba
07-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Website Find
Goomba Offline

RE: Yes, another newbie!

(07-09-2012, 04:45 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(07-09-2012, 04:30 PM)Goomba Wrote: I'm new here, so first of all, hello to you all!

I have been making maps for Battlezone (a PC game from 1998) for 3 years now, I thought level editors must have remained the same over the years, of course I was wrong. Wink

I have made 3 test maps by now, and I have pretty much got the hang of the level editor, but I have absolutely no scripting experience (in Battlezone you can't really script things with an actual code, you can set paths and order units to do various things, but that's it) so possible upcoming questions will probably be about scripting. Tongue

I am working on my first custom story now, I want to concentrate it on immersing the player into the story, instead of pelting him/her with jumpscares which I saw you guys don't really appreciate (which is totally understandable, I don't really like jumpscare maps either). I try to achieve the same quality in mapping as the original game, and I think I'm doing quite a good job except for billboards which I didn't really get the hang of yet.

I'll give you the storyline also, which still needs some polishing:

The story will take place in 1936, you are James Davidson, a rich man that investigates and maps old castles. You are ordered to take a look at a large castle in Italy, once you get inside you get a mysterious, weird feeling all over you, in the next days the castle continues to haunt your mind with weird dreams and flashbacks that don't belong to you. One day you decide it's enough, and return to the castle to find out what's the cause of all this, whatever it may be...

No screenshots as of yet, I'm sorry but I still don't have enough (impressive) material to show to you guys, but I promise there will be some screenshots soon.

Cheers!
Goomba
Wrong section, you need the development section mate.
Oh ok, I'm so sorry I did not see it. Sad
Will a moderator move this or do I need to take action myself to get it in the right section?
07-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Website Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

Threads: 23

Mod will move it... Probably would have saw it if you pay a little more attention, it is right under this.
07-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Find
zaggnut Offline

Threads: 2

inb4move Big Grin

help -------------> http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-10798.html
07-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Find
ApeCake Offline

Threads: 20

To get a good custom story you just need scripting. A map without any scripting won't be good at all; no music, no ambience sounds or anything, it won't keep the player playing. Sure, the atmosphere can look good, but I doubt it will be great without scripting. Watch YourComputer's tutorials for help. Seriously, it will make your map much better, it's totally worth your time.
07-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Find
Goomba Offline

(07-10-2012, 06:51 PM)ApeCake Wrote: To get a good custom story you just need scripting. A map without any scripting won't be good at all; no music, no ambience sounds or anything, it won't keep the player playing. Sure, the atmosphere can look good, but I doubt it will be great without scripting. Watch YourComputer's tutorials for help. Seriously, it will make your map much better, it's totally worth your time.
Never said that there won't be any scripting at all, it's a big learning curve, looking at tutorials, original Amnesia and other custom stories or just experimenting. I'm getting there, though.

PS. I can help you with that Dutch translation. Wink
07-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Website Find