Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Open letter to dev blog.
Joshua Offline

Threads: 1
Open letter to dev blog.

Throughout the past few months, after I have both read the dev blogs, and have played through both amnesia and penumbra, I have become addicted to atmospheric gaming. It has been sincerely difficult for me to go from playing amnesia - to playing an arcade style game.

I believe that the field of atmospheric and horror games possesses a great future in both gaming, and in the real world.

My question is: it seems that the dev blog has been focusing primarily upon the game itself and aspects pertaining to it, and rightly so. However, the equipment used for gaming should also come into one's consideration. One cannot expect the ultimate horror experience inside of a bright room with a small monitor. Therefore, perhaps recommendations as to equipment should be made? I don't really know where to go from this - but I think that it would be worth while for people to consider the more physical aspect of gaming and how that effects immersion.

Just a few thoughts, of course they could be better articulated - have at it guys.
07-11-2012, 04:46 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Open letter to dev blog.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get across. The PC market has many options that allow for a much better entertainment experience. A lot of people i know use their HDTVs as monitors which are beyond 40". Then there are sound cards that support surround sound speaker systems. Even if the audio only has two channels, the system generally does a good job at virtualizing to 5.1 or higher.

Yet, even with all of this made available to the user, ultimately it is the user that decides what is best for them. Amnesia itself recommends to play with the lights off and with headphones. This recommendation should be more than enough to imply to the user that there are better ways to be immersed in a game. Those who can afford it will have a better experience, those who can't will have a lesser experience, but that lesser experience may be all that is required for changing underwear.

A game company investing in technologies that only a few people can make use of would not benefit the company. If it does not benefit the company, then you would see less of what you enjoy from that company. Some things are better left to the consumer and not the developer.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
07-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Website Find
zaggnut Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Open letter to dev blog.

they should sell lanterns that work like the ps3 wand controllers... yeahh

The human race will Bleed, they will serve my
need!
07-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline