Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am i the only one?
Stenkilde Offline

Threads: 4
Am i the only one?

Good evening my fellow "modders" or what we call ourselves.

I decided to join the forum a couple of days, maybe a week ago? Just with one agenda on my mind, and that was to LURK! So i lurked abit, and now i actually want to discuss something. Like grownups ofcourse, i don't want to girl fight.

But am i the only one, who make a script, gets it to work. But still have no idea why the script is doing as you told it to, or why it can happen ? Am i the only one who cries for days when his script doesn't work, then change one letter and the script works?
Please DO tell me i'm not alone, and if i'm alone. How can i get out of this "pool of not understanding" the angelScript (C++?).

I'm 100% sure the main problem is me not understanding the basics of programming in general. But my map is working out fine(with flaws) and i need to learn programming. But where do i start?

Stenkillde // out. Sleep well!
07-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Find
Ermu Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Am i the only one?

Well, first of all, the AngelScript is million times easier than normal programming. For the basics of it, as the guys from Frictional Games suggest, watch/read some Java tutorials.

Also the AngelScript is a mix of C++ and Java.

We all do typos and mistakes every now and then in the script, but luckily most of the time the HPL2 engine tells where the problem is.

If the programming is REALLY hard for you, and you seem to not learn it or get it in control, you might want to find yourself a scripter, unless you're interested in learning it.
07-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Find
Stenkilde Offline

I'm really interrested in learning, but i don't seem to get it?

I have made a few websites with both javascript and php. I know it's not the same, but i thought i could easily pick this up from that.
07-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

Sometimes it takes a while to learn or maybe somebody needs to teach you a thing or too. I would strongly advise you to not focus on AngelScript, C++ and Java. Sure, there are similarities and stuff you can do there that you can do in HPL2, but right now, you need HPL2. You don't need any knowledge of them to make a fantastic story. It's kind of beating around the bush and it won't help you if you are starting out usually. Why learn a different language, apply it to another one, when you could just learn the language in question?

Anyway, take a look at some of the game's scripts; try to get a general understanding of mechanics and how everything comes into play. Also, if something feels too complicated, step back and remember what it is supposed to do anyway. The Frictional Games Wiki is a great tool for tutorials and the holy page (http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn..._functions)
I would look at some tutorials and try to do them. Experimenting is great thing to do, it allows you to figure out what works and what doesn't work.

Some problem-solving strategies are to re-read the error, it can really help you. If you can't see the error mentioned, re-read the entire function the error is within, you should notice something funny.

Of course, feel free to PM me some questions, I love helping people getting into HPL2 Smile

Insanity. Static.
07-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Find
Stenkilde Offline

Hello Juby!

I have read the functions page, but what i realised is that, I don't really catch much of it. I can see what the functions does, but my stupid brain can't put them into context and get it to actually work.
07-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Find
Ermu Offline

Threads: 13

(07-13-2012, 03:01 PM)Stenkilde Wrote: Hello Juby!

I have read the functions page, but what i realised is that, I don't really catch much of it. I can see what the functions does, but my stupid brain can't put them into context and get it to actually work.
Well, if you have problems with some certain script, you can always ask help in the Developement Support forums.
07-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(07-13-2012, 10:48 AM)Stenkilde Wrote: I have made a few websites with both javascript and php. I know it's not the same, but i thought i could easily pick this up from that.

PHP (and some parts of Javascript) is more complicated than HPL2 scripting (Java and C++ being even more complicated than the three). You should have been able to pick up HPL2 scripting pretty easy from your knowledge of Javascript and PHP. However, PHP and Javascript don't require you to explicitly specify the data type of a variable, the return type of a function, or parameters. If you get used to doing that, though, you shouldn't have any issues.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
07-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Website Find
Stenkilde Offline

(07-13-2012, 07:10 PM)Your Computer Wrote: PHP (and some parts of Javascript) is more complicated than HPL2 scripting (Java and C++ being even more complicated than the three). You should have been able to pick up HPL2 scripting pretty easy from your knowledge of Javascript and PHP. However, PHP and Javascript don't require you to explicitly specify the data type of a variable, the return type of a function, or parameters. If you get used to doing that, though, you shouldn't have any issues.
I was thinking the exact same! And even watching through your tutorials. Which are WONDERFUL tutorials. My brain is still totally lost on what is going on. Retarded teen brains, only doing what they want to...

I'm probably just in lack of a good story to script.
Does anyone have some good ideas just to start things off?
07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(07-13-2012, 02:00 PM)Juby Wrote: Why learn a different language, apply it to another one, when you could just learn the language in question?
Because the documentation and tutorials solely on the topic of HPL2 scripting may not be sufficient to learn some of the basic concepts of programming that you need. There are some great tutorials no doubt, but if you find they don't work for you, you don't have a lot of options for other sources. Comparitively, tutorials and documentation of programming concepts for C++ or JavaScript are more extensive, meaning you can learn the basics of loops/statements and variable usage elswhere. HLP2 documentation/tutorials may not cover these aspects with enough depth for some people. That is, however, largely not applicable to the OP, but I thought I would answer your rhetorical question anyway Smile

I've found the AngelScript online manual to be of great help in understanding a lot of HPL2 code that I couldn't understand before. AS is more akin to watered down C++ than it is to JS in some key places (see Your Computers post). There is so much more you can do with the language than you could get from just looking up functions, and if you go delving into experienced users scripts for Amnesia mods you'll likely find, as I did, many particular uses of AS syntax that is not explained anywhere on the forums or wiki. You may find it makes it easier to deconstruct other peoples scripts, which in turn may make it easier for you to understand how everything fits together
07-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

(07-16-2012, 12:59 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
(07-13-2012, 02:00 PM)Juby Wrote: Why learn a different language, apply it to another one, when you could just learn the language in question?
Because the documentation and tutorials solely on the topic of HPL2 scripting may not be sufficient to learn some of the basic concepts of programming that you need. There are some great tutorials no doubt, but if you find they don't work for you, you don't have a lot of options for other sources. Comparitively, tutorials and documentation of programming concepts for C++ or JavaScript are more extensive, meaning you can learn the basics of loops/statements and variable usage elswhere. HLP2 documentation/tutorials may not cover these aspects with enough depth for some people. That is, however, largely not applicable to the OP, but I thought I would answer your rhetorical question anyway Smile

I've found the AngelScript online manual to be of great help in understanding a lot of HPL2 code that I couldn't understand before. AS is more akin to watered down C++ than it is to JS in some key places (see Your Computers post). There is so much more you can do with the language than you could get from just looking up functions, and if you go delving into experienced users scripts for Amnesia mods you'll likely find, as I did, many particular uses of AS syntax that is not explained anywhere on the forums or wiki. You may find it makes it easier to deconstruct other peoples scripts, which in turn may make it easier for you to understand how everything fits together
There's one way to do it.

(07-13-2012, 03:01 PM)Stenkilde Wrote: Hello Juby!

Okay, so let's put it into context, starting with something useful:

void OnStart() {
AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "Area_Falloff", "CollideAreaFalloff2", false, 1);
    }

Tell me what you can figure out here Smile

Insanity. Static.
07-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Find