Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some questions and requests.
Omyn Offline

Threads: 2
Some questions and requests.

Looks like the day I decided to start diving into modding for this game, nvidia's dev site gets hacked. I was wondering if any of you have the latest version of the DDS plugin for photoshop that you could throw up anywhere. Their site is down..

Anyway, after about a 5 year or so break from the whole modding/3d scene I decided to get back into it. I use to be on the dev team for the popular HL2 mod called Goldeneye Source as an animator. Which brings me to my next question. I whipped up a quick model to see how the import/compiling process is into the game. It was a very painful compared to HL2. The model was flipped, the pivot point was off, and the model was about 100 times bigger than what it should have been. I'm using 3DS max for all of my work with the opencallada for exporting. I also hear it is very difficult to get animations into the game with 3DS max. Any guidance on the matter would be great. I've been through the wiki several times and perused about the forums.

Anyway, it's great to be here and I'm looking forward to the experience. Here's a sample of what I'm looking at doing first. I was able to get the rocking chair to work by scaling it down to .004. I imagine there has to be an easier way. No textures on the rocking chair either until I'm able to get the plugin. The chair on the right is just there for size reference. Thanks a lot. Smile

[Image: scaled.php?server=15&filename=ingamea.png&res=landing]

[Image: scaled.php?server=689&filename=renderc.gif&res=landing]
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2012, 12:57 PM by Omyn.)
07-13-2012, 03:44 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: Some questions and requests.

Very, very nice. Out of curiosity, what were your questions/requests?

Also, the Amnesia modding scene desperately needs animators.

[Image: signature-2.png]
07-13-2012, 07:09 AM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 26

3DS max has a small problem with models being too large when exported, so far no one has found an answer or solution. Also if it's rotated wrong someone that know how's to use the model editor can make it right Smile

07-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Find
Omyn Offline

(07-13-2012, 07:09 AM)Streetboat Wrote: Very, very nice. Out of curiosity, what were your questions/requests?

Also, the Amnesia modding scene desperately needs animators.

Ahh. Sorry if I didn't make it clear. My request is for the photoshop dds plugin for cs5. Nvidias site was down last night so i wasn't able to get it. My questions were if anyone has been able to import animations from 3ds max and how to make imported models properly scale.

I was able to scale the model in the model editor but that step seems like it should of been avoidable. It also skewed the model badly which i could fix in the model editor as well. I'm sure it's no longer exactly proprtional anymore. I would also really like to hear from someone who has been able to get animations ingame. Is making the animations in 3ds and importing them into another software that can properly export them an option, such as blender or maya? Same question for just static/phys models. I appreciate your kind comment and thank you for taking the time to reply.
07-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

I hear you can fix the scale issue by installing the one from the Open Collada website. Animations, however, are only possible with Maya.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2012, 06:50 PM by Your Computer.)
07-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Website Find
Omyn Offline

Very displeasing to hear that. I guess i will have to give maya a shot. Also, i tried both the plugin included with 3ds and the one from the website. Both skewed the model. I'll cycle through the additional parameters included with the opencollada plugin later tonight. Are there any other references i could look at to help myself through the process of getting animations ingame. Thanks.
07-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

None of the plugins for Max works, I personaly sit around and scale my models a billion times over before I get them properly looking in game, as for animations it can't be done with Max, the exporter/exporters simply do not work as they should.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2012, 08:30 PM by Traggey.)
07-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Find
Omyn Offline

(07-13-2012, 08:30 PM)Traggey Wrote: None of the plugins for Max works, I personaly sit around and scale my models a billion times over before I get them properly looking in game, as for animations it can't be done with Max, the exporter/exporters simply do not work as they should.
Aww. So it's not even consistent with the scaling for all exports? I took a screen shot of the values I applied for scaling to use for future models. Oh well.. It could be worse I suppose.
07-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Find
Omyn Offline

Well, it was quite a headache but I'm started to get the results I wanted. I'm using two timed AddPropForce, one for forwards and one for backwards. I also have the model set up as a object entity on a pivot with limits. I have a feeling, however, that there's a better way to do it. I only plan to use the rocking for a few seconds then go to just a regular dynamic model so this may have to do.

Let me know if you have any ideas/input. I'll be looking into getting rigged animations into the game next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YTrqeC0L...e=youtu.be
07-18-2012, 04:21 AM
Find