Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model Editor Help Trying to learn how to edit a model
zergling50 Offline

Threads: 9
Trying to learn how to edit a model

Hey, I want to do something simple to an already pre existing model. My goal is to make a grunt that has a colored hue (blue, red, green, black, etc.) With his eyes lighting up with the same color. I went in the model editor and saw you could add lights, but I didnt want to fiddle around since I had no idea what Im doing. Second, I want to change the noise it makes. How do I do these things without replacing the original grunt (as in a copy of the grunt model but with these changes)? Any tutorials or advice that you can point me towards?
EDIT: Hey guys, I dont think I did a good job of explaining last time, but heres what I want to do. I want to make a game where there are four grunts that represent the different states of the mind. Happy, sad, angry, and the fourth is twisted and confusion. I want them each to have a hue of the color that best represents this state (slightly green, slightly blue, slightly red, and pitch black) I also think it would be cool if their eyes lit up with their respective color (except black, that one would have red eyes). How would I go about doing this? I know its probably possible, and if anyone can offer assistance whether directly or indirectly that would be great! Also I want to replace the noises with the grunts to the noises that best represnt those states so any help on how to do that as well would be greatly appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2012, 07:22 PM by zergling50.)
07-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Find
zergling50 Offline

RE: Trying to learn how to edit a model

I still havent heard anything yet, just wanted to make sure I posted this in the right place. If theres any confusion about my question just ask and I'll do my best to clarify.
07-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 26

Well to modify the color of it's skin you need to edit the .dds file inside photoshop or gimp with it's corresponding dds plugin and then give it to 4 different grunt .ent files. And for the light just add pointlights to the .ent and also a billboard so it looks like it's glowing. Thought remember this: that if the grunt is deactivated the light and the billboard will still be there even if the grunt is gone.

(This post was last modified: 07-17-2012, 09:56 PM by SilentStriker.)
07-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Find
zergling50 Offline

(07-17-2012, 09:55 PM)SilentStriker Wrote: Well to modify the color of it's skin you need to edit the .dds file inside photoshop or gimp with it's corresponding dds plugin and then give it to 4 different grunt .ent files. And for the light just add pointlights to the .ent and also a billboard so it looks like it's glowing. Thought remember this: that if the grunt is deactivated the light and the billboard will still be there even if the grunt is gone.
how would I use the billboard to make it look like their eyes are glowing?

(07-17-2012, 10:21 PM)zergling50 Wrote:
(07-17-2012, 09:55 PM)SilentStriker Wrote: Well to modify the color of it's skin you need to edit the .dds file inside photoshop or gimp with it's corresponding dds plugin and then give it to 4 different grunt .ent files. And for the light just add pointlights to the .ent and also a billboard so it looks like it's glowing. Thought remember this: that if the grunt is deactivated the light and the billboard will still be there even if the grunt is gone.
how would I use the billboard to make it look like their eyes are glowing?
Also is gimp free?
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2012, 10:22 PM by zergling50.)
07-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Gimp is free. You add a one of the billboards you think fits best and then change the size and color of it and put it at the eyes

07-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Find
zergling50 Offline

(07-17-2012, 10:54 PM)SilentStriker Wrote: Gimp is free. You add a one of the billboards you think fits best and then change the size and color of it and put it at the eyes
Thank you so much! Ill let you guys know when I get this map done, Its going to be interesting and im looking on giving it a nice storyline and plot.

(07-18-2012, 12:36 AM)zergling50 Wrote:
(07-17-2012, 10:54 PM)SilentStriker Wrote: Gimp is free. You add a one of the billboards you think fits best and then change the size and color of it and put it at the eyes
Thank you so much! Ill let you guys know when I get this map done, Its going to be interesting and im looking on giving it a nice storyline and plot.
Sorry one final question. I tried adding lights to the models eyes and when I dragged it into the level editor to test it out it only showed as a small red glowing smear on the models head when in fact I was using spotlights. Did i put it to close to the model or is there something else I need to do?
EDIT: I just tried it ou some, and if I add the billboards to the front in front of the eyes, when I place the model they are floating behind his head. This makes no sense. Also as I said, I kinda want floodlight eyes in that they, besides glowing, also cast a light beam. I dont know how hard this would be to do, but if i had to settle for just glowing eyes i guess I could, although itd be nice if the floodlight eyes are possible. Also, why is it putting the lights behind its head?
EDIT EDIT: Nvm I get the floodlight eyes to work. Sadly you can only see the light on an object and not the beam as I had hoped. Also the two billboard lights are still floating behind its head. Is there a way to make it a beam of light (ive been able to do that with lights in the level editor, dont get why its not working here) and how do i fix the billboard lights?
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2012, 12:52 AM by zergling50.)
07-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Billboards works the same way in the model editor as in the level editor.

07-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Find
zergling50 Offline

(07-18-2012, 01:50 AM)SilentStriker Wrote: Billboards works the same way in the model editor as in the level editor.

Ive never used billboards in the level editor. Since I have no idea how to mess with models, I was wondering if maybe this is something I could get someone to do for me and I'd include their name in the credits. Im worried that I might mess it up or make i look bad, And (correct me if im wrong cause as ive said I know nothing about working with these kind of models) It doesnt seem to be as hard as something like making a whole new custom model. Id be willing to send pictures of what I'd like it to look like to anyone who'd be interested. Would this work or do you guys think itd just be easier for me to do it?
07-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

I would suggest just mess around with it. As long as you don't save untill your happy with it and remember to not overwrite any of the files from the original grunt

07-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Find
zergling50 Offline

(07-18-2012, 11:15 AM)SilentStriker Wrote: I would suggest just mess around with it. As long as you don't save untill your happy with it and remember to not overwrite any of the files from the original grunt

How do I open the model in gimp to mess with it? I have it downloaded but cant figure this out. It keeps saying unknown file type.
EDIT: Figured out that I needed that plugin and now it works. As for the lights behind the head thing, should I just try positioning behind the models head and see if they appear in front of it in game or something? Or is there something im missing here as to why this is happening.
EDIT EDIT: I finally figured everything except the billboards behind the head thing. I even have the new texture applied in the modeleditor. Sadly when I place the same model in game it doesnt have it, yet when I open it in the model editor it has it. What else do I have to change to make it so he keeps the new texture in game.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2012, 06:23 PM by zergling50.)
07-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Find