Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue regarding custom models
Quietus Offline

Threads: 1
Issue regarding custom models

Hey guys, i'm working on a total conversion with a friend in attempt to expand my portfolio and had a few questions regarding the custom models I've been creating and importing into the level editor;

I'm currently using Maya 2011 student edition. The COLLADA exporter which was recommended by some users on the forum (http://opencollada.org/) didn't recognise Maya on my PC so i resorted to using DAE_FBX export. Everything works fine except for a one issue;

- Despite centering the pivot in maya before exporting, the pivot of the model in the level editor is way off. I'd place an object down and it would appear quite far off screen. This isn't so much an issue with objects like desks or bookcases, but with the tillable wall pieces we are using, it makes aligning them almost impossible. Is there something in the model editor i have to do to change the pivot of the model? Or is it an issue when i export it from maya?

Has anyone else experienced this or has any ideas why it happens?
Many thanks in advance =]
07-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Issue regarding custom models

Odd that the OpenCollada exporter doesn't work, I do not remember wheter the installation was causing a fuzz or not at the time I was installing it. See if you can find a way to make it working (I may have had to search for a solution but I'm not quite sure - it was about a year ago).

As for temporarily fixing your issue have you tried making a compound of the walls? Aligning two of them and then pressing B should center the pivot point and allow for easier future placement.

I have found that model exporting to Amnesia is best suited using the OpenCollada plugin, while the FBX export may cause issues.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

07-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Find
Quietus Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Issue regarding custom models

(07-16-2012, 01:05 PM)Acies Wrote: Odd that the OpenCollada exporter doesn't work, I do not remember wheter the installation was causing a fuzz or not at the time I was installing it. See if you can find a way to make it working (I may have had to search for a solution but I'm not quite sure - it was about a year ago).

As for temporarily fixing your issue have you tried making a compound of the walls? Aligning two of them and then pressing B should center the pivot point and allow for easier future placement.

I have found that model exporting to Amnesia is best suited using the OpenCollada plugin, while the FBX export may cause issues.
The issue with OpenCollada is with the installation wizard. If it doesn't recognise Maya as installed on the hard drive it skips the installation. I read somewhere that someone got round this issue by installing it manually, but i don't have the technically know how of doing this. In the end using FBX seemed to solve the problem and except the issue regarding the pivot, it seems to work without too much trouble.

Cheers for the suggestions =]. It helps when aligning large groups of them together! I also found a solution with using the numbers in the general tab of the static mesh instead of using the handles. I really should have thought of that earlier haha xD

Thanks again! =]
07-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Find