Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Story Feedback and Possible Enrolement.
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Custom Story Feedback and Possible Enrolement.

Sorry it took so long to come back with anything, forgot to check back on the thread.

Here are some issues with the current version:

http://imgur.com/fcQfw,riZYr,rwWTz#0

In two of the pictures, notice how the ladder has fallen, which did not happen the first time. I would suggest setting it to have static physics to prevent this from happening.

In the third, there is a clear distinction as to where a box light ends, which is generally a big no-no.

The lighting in the first map was decent, I would say work on the light ray billboards in the area just before entering the second map (where you walk down the stairs, there are 2 windows on the left, and the level door is on the right).

Also in the first map, and this may just be me, I notice little white spots at the seams of walls, and this is because you are using a white skybox, which is fine, but I would advise placing black planes outside the walls in all places except for where you look through the windows, or just don't use those kinds of windows.

07-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Find
Zinnkio Offline

Threads: 3

I can't believe I didn't spot the ladder falling down but I've changed it to static now. As for the billboards, I've kind of given up because not matter how hard I try they always have these hard edges (flat) and it looks ugly.

Thanks for pointing out the box light mistake. Just carelessness on my part. Smile

Out Of All The Things I Fear Most, Death Is One Of Them. But One Day I Will Become It.
07-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Find
Zinnkio Offline

Threads: 3

I had a go... Beats me how to do it though :/ I'll keep trying.

Out Of All The Things I Fear Most, Death Is One Of Them. But One Day I Will Become It.
07-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Find
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12

(07-23-2012, 04:20 PM)Zinnkio Wrote: I had a go... Beats me how to do it though :/ I'll keep trying.
Getting billboards to look how you want them to is, at least for me, one of the most frustrating parts of creating the atmosphere. It is difficult to make it look believable and natural, you just kinda have to mess around with it. Try to have some going farther than others, rotate them so they face a different way, etc.

Or, if all else fails, go look at some original maps in the level editor, see what you can learn from how FG did it.

07-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

Don't add too many jump scares. Some is okay, but not a ton. Also, an idea for a story. I'm horrible at writing, so apologize for any permanent trauma.

You are James Smith, a detective in the early 1800s. Recently, there has been suspicious activity at a home named Redwood Manor. The mansion stands near a forest, which has scattered farms throughout. The locals are reporting strange sounds coming from the manor, and the home's owner has not been sighted for several weeks. As a detective, you've been called in to solve this dilemma, and put a stop to whatever is going on inside the mansion.

Sorry if you didn't like it. If you did, great!

HINT:

Your sanity must be low for you to like Zaffre's writing.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2012, 08:10 AM by Zaffre.)
07-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Find