Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Why Do People Type Badly?
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Why Do People Type Badly?

(07-29-2012, 01:32 AM)JenniferOrange Wrote: I agree with the technology these days. Everyone gets used to saying "lol leik ok ill see u l8er" we use it as a faster way to communicate but end up looking like uneducated fools.
I was curious as to how many words I could type a minute with correct grammar and only got 49. :] I'm not very good at copying things, but when it comes from my brain I'm faster.

49 words per minute is actually very fast.
07-29-2012, 01:51 AM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

(07-29-2012, 12:50 AM)Bridge Wrote: But it makes sense in online multiplayer, especially in FPS games. Generally you don't want to do any typing apart from the courtesy "gg" at the end of each round but if you need to issue a general command to someone or just chat with people when things aren't too hectic, you want to spend as little time as possible typing. It's no excuse for using broken language, but things like no punctuation, all lowercase characters and acceptable abbreviations should be alright.
FPS I can understand. The first (and only) time I played MW3's multiplayer, I said that dropshots were an easy tactic of winning a fight, because almost all of the enemy team was using them. Somebody continued to type into chat: "qq no skill n00b lol fail go watch mlp". He spent time typing that. The numerals in "noob" were unnecessary, and it takes longer to type n00b then noob (due to you having to shift your hands in the home row position). This could possibly prove that he spent time he could have saved. I see many people coordinating through team chat in games like TF2. They stop to take time to chat with their team (note: if the team is good), and even if they do, they are spending time typing. However, the question was not asking about one particular genre, though first person shooter is infamous for the generally immature community, and was asked in general.

Notice: This may have not been my most sensible post. I had a lot of sugar and caffeine a while ago and now it's starting to come down on me.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2012, 02:27 AM by Zaffre.)
07-29-2012, 02:21 AM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

lol k

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
07-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(07-29-2012, 10:08 AM)Robosprog Wrote: *Looks at thread title* Hmm..
It's perfectly acceptable to use uppercase characters at the beginning of each word in titles. It's not as common on forums but some people prefer it.
07-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Find