Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Dark Knight Rises Ending Disscussion WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
The Dark Knight Rises Ending Disscussion WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS

Alright, TDKR has been out for a week now, so I thought I'd make a thread to discuss it's rather..."interesting"(?) ending.

Anything about the ending can go here. Opinions of whether you liked it, or not. Or you can theorize/discuss what it might have meant, or will mean in-universe for the future.

So starting off, I'll say that while TDKR was awesome, I had mixed feelings about the ending.

First off I did not like the Bane was taken out. This has been said a hundred times, but the way he was defeated was horribly anti-climatic for me.

Next, I thought it would have been better off if Bruce had really died. I was always more into the running theme of "Bruce Wayne will always be Batman" in which he would never retire as long as he still had a breath in his body to do his job. But, okay it's the Nolanverse, in here Bruce thinks Batman is tearing him apart, I can understand that he might feel like he can't go on anymore. I can buy that.

But if this is the case, and he knows about the "destructive nature" of Batman, why did he give the role to Blake? (Right now I'm assuming that Blake will be the next Batman because he now has the cave. Theory only) Isn't that just like giving a job/curse of something you can actually still do that still has to be done to someone else? Bruce doesn't strike as the type of person who would give up Batman in a way like that. Also, how can Blake financially support being Batman? He's just a detective. Bruce is totally broke, so he can't help. And, Selina? I don't think it would be a great idea to run Batman off of stolen money.

So those are my current thoughts. What do you think about them, and what other thoughts do you have? Let us know below!
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2012, 10:04 PM by Kreekakon.)
07-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: The Dark Knight Rises Ending Disscussion WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS

I didn't like bane's death either. He was killed(?) too quickly and easily at the end, even though there had been a fight between them before it did not culminate into any "certain defeat". While on the topic of that I didn't enjoy bane portrayed by Tom Hardy as much as I possibly could have. He didn't "come alive" as much as the joker did, but then that could just be that I enjoyed the portrayal of the joker by late Heath Ledger very much.

As for the end I thought it was fitting. The dark knight has been quite a "dark" series so I found it rewarding that the characters included were able to find peace at last. On the topic of Blake being batman;
1. Nolan has made his last movie of batman, any following batman movie won't probably happen in "the same universe/interpretation" Nolan made.
2. Blake's real name was "Robin"; ergo the movie tries to tie up any loose ends to the comic which wasn't dealt with --> Batman's colleague; Robin.

In all:
"
(Right now I'm assuming that Blake will be the next Batman because he now has the cave. Theory only) Isn't that just like giving a job/curse of something you can't do that still has to be done to someone else? Bruce doesn't strike as the type of person who would give up Batman in a way like that. Also, how can Blake financially support being Batman? He's just a detective. Bruce is totally broke, so he can't help. And, Selina? I don't think it would be a great idea to run Batman off of stolen money."

Won't really happen (he isn't Batman - he's Robin). And.. The next Batman movie won't follow from where this one left off. The movie was an ending to "Nolan's interpretation of batman".

I enjoyed the movie overall :>

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2012, 10:08 PM by Acies.)
07-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

I actually loved Tom Hardy as Bane. I found it ironic in a way that a non-horror character could scare me more than a horror villain ever had.
(07-29-2012, 10:06 PM)Acies Wrote: Won't really happen (he isn't Batman - he's Robin). And.. The next Batman movie won't follow from where this one left off. The movie was an ending to "Nolan's interpretation of batman".
Even though true, the hardly excuses movie endings in anyway. Even if you don't make anymore movies, you've just left the characters in a mortal dilemma where they can hardly do anything reasonable at all, or work out their futures well.

EDIT: Also, he can't be Robin. His damn name is Robin XD I think it was more of a plot-unrelated shout-out to the fans.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2012, 10:16 PM by Kreekakon.)
07-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

I honestly wish they skipped out most of the Talia al Ghul part. That moment when she revealed herself, you could see it in Bane's face. "Shit...I'm not main villain anymore. Probably gonna get a cheap d-" *Catwoman comes in and blow's Bane to pieces* I really liked Bane ALOT, I'm disappointed they underused him in the climax. I also felt the whole nuke part towards the end got ridiculous, especially Batman flying out to sea with a huge emotional death.... then NOPE. OH HE USED AUTOPILOT LOLOL. I think Talia's revealing moment was kinda obvious too, especially with the scar during their happy scene. Blake was sort of a fun way to end off the phone, I wish they didn't do the lame "OHOOOHHHHH I LIKE YOUR NAME ROBINN OHOHOHOHHOHOOOOO" part, that seemed kinda obvious. Maybe you could see his name on his ticket to where-ever that lady that said it was.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
07-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Yeah I didn't like the ending either. The movie could have been written entirely without the Miranda Tate character and it would have been a much better movie. Seriously, it's just shameful to see Bane, who is the resident badass the entire movie, just reduced to a pawn and then discarded. It's like if in Dark Knight, the Joker is just revealed to be a henchman before he dies. Totally undermines everything he did in the movie. Also I think creating an anarchist Gotham with inmates running around (a la Escape From New York) is a much more interesting story than fucking it up and then blowing it up. I actually had a lot of sympathy for Bane throughout much of the movie. I mean, he kills people and is generally a mean guy but I share a lot of his frustrations with the government and how much power it has.
07-30-2012, 12:43 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(07-29-2012, 10:11 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(07-29-2012, 10:06 PM)Acies Wrote:
Even though true, the hardly excuses movie endings in anyway. Even if you don't make anymore movies, you've just left the characters in a mortal dilemma where they can hardly do anything reasonable at all, or work out their futures well.

EDIT: Also, he can't be Robin. His damn name is Robin XD I think it was more of a plot-unrelated shout-out to the fans.
As I see it their futures were staked out in the last part:
Bruce retiring from "the curse" of being Batman, finding happiness in the love of a woman.

Blake "taking up the fight" which he wished for throughout the movie (scene where he describes himself as Bruce; knowing the anger). Perhaps he does it with gadgets left in the batcave(?).

Alfred seeing his described dream of Bruce finding peace in the cafe.

Gordon content knowing that Bruce is still alive.

It's an open ending, up for interpretation. I'd say he be Robin :> hehe you don't have to believe it - neither right nor wrong.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

07-30-2012, 01:58 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

@Acies: In-plot wise that's probably the case. My main gripe is that I think it goes against their character somewhat as shown in my opening post. That, and the fact that being Batman is probably expensive. Although, Blake might try something renewable. Not sure on that one.

Bridge Wrote:Also I think creating an anarchist Gotham with inmates running around (a la Escape From New York) is a much more interesting story than fucking it up and then blowing it up.
I didn't have a problem with this though. That would be a bit hard to do completely without changing the whole core of the plot, because Bane, being with the League of Shadows, has the obligation to destroy Gotham. Anarchy would be interesting for the viewer, but in terms of the League of Shadows mission, it won't really destroy Gotham. It'd more likely just leave it in shambles, but a still functional center of chaos, which is what the League is trying to get rid of in the first place. If he wanted to go anarchy, what we saw in the movie was probably as close as it was going to get.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2012, 02:17 AM by Kreekakon.)
07-30-2012, 02:11 AM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5

(07-29-2012, 09:50 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: First off I did not like the Bane was taken out. This has been said a hundred times, but the way he was defeated was horribly anti-climatic for me.
Never believe what one can not see.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
07-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(07-30-2012, 06:59 AM)J.R.S.Storch Wrote: Never believe what one can not see.
The Batpod can blow through cars, and concrete walls. Bane took a straight shot to the chest. Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's dead.
07-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(07-30-2012, 02:11 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: @Acies: In-plot wise that's probably the case. My main gripe is that I think it goes against their character somewhat as shown in my opening post. That, and the fact that being Batman is probably expensive. Although, Blake might try something renewable. Not sure on that one.

Bridge Wrote:Also I think creating an anarchist Gotham with inmates running around (a la Escape From New York) is a much more interesting story than fucking it up and then blowing it up.
I didn't have a problem with this though. That would be a bit hard to do completely without changing the whole core of the plot, because Bane, being with the League of Shadows, has the obligation to destroy Gotham. Anarchy would be interesting for the viewer, but in terms of the League of Shadows mission, it won't really destroy Gotham. It'd more likely just leave it in shambles, but a still functional center of chaos, which is what the League is trying to get rid of in the first place. If he wanted to go anarchy, what we saw in the movie was probably as close as it was going to get.
That's my problem with Begins as well. Ras Al Ghul is such a boring villain because he has no interesting motivation. I don't know anything about the comics, whether this League of Shadows has been canon for decades or not, but they are just not interesting at all.
07-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Find