Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Request Test my CS please
Soverain Offline

Threads: 5
Test my CS please

I know that this CS isn't great but I hope it has at least some potential. This is my first custom map and me ever scripting anything. Therefore, there is currently no story and no fancy scripting. I just wanted to dabble with the level editor and see how well I can do. I know I need to work on lightning so any tips for that would be greatly appreciated. I hope soon in the future I can make a level worthy of praise.

Also, there are currently only two maps so far.

Attached Files
.rar   mycustomgame.rar (Size: 158.6 KB / Downloads: 118)
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2012, 08:47 AM by Soverain.)
07-31-2012, 08:44 AM
Find
fuytko Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Test my CS please

Played.Because it's your first map,it was good.

Tips:

1.Don't put too much stuff like tinderboxes,oils,sanity potions and laudanum on every place.
2.I saw some blinking in textures..I don't like it.
3.I fall down from the tunnel when I was jumping.Put some block boxes there.

But it was really good.
Sorry for my bad english,if it is Smile

07-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Hey for your first map it already looks pretty good!

Huh - I tried to make screenshots to illustrate my points via crude drawings, but amnesia wouldn't let me. Strange.

Anyway, I can only give you feedback on the graphical side: In my opinion your rooms tend to look a bit too empty and as a result of that too big.
Try to avoid having these big areas of floor with nothing on it, as the repeating textures there really catch the eye. Put a carpet on there, some rubble, documents lying on the floor, anything that breaks up the monotonous surface. Same goes for the walls (to a lesser extend).

You might also want to add more visual interest to repeating assets. If for example you have several sacks next to each other, (like in the storage room) don't have them all in the same orientation. Rotate them, lean them against each other or against the wall or lie one of them down.

As a rule of thumb, try to integrate larger objects into the scenery by placing smaller ones around it. It will make them look less awkward and out of place. (You already did this very well with the piano) For example if you have a shelf full of books, place some book piles around it or a small table next to it, maybe a with comfy chair for reading and a candle...

Also, try to create "object islands" instead of evenly distributing assets around a room. This is especially apparent in the storage room which looks a bit random right now. If you look at the original amnesia, you almost never have stuff just standing around randomly. Instead, most of the time there are these "islands" visible that look more natural. Its a bit hard to explain, this concept art here shows it pretty well:
Storage room (Three object islands as well as small candles, stones and bottles to integrate the big assets into the scenery)

Hope I could help somewhat! I'm looking forward to the next version of this map Smile
07-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Find
Soverain Offline

(07-31-2012, 10:42 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Hey for your first map it already looks pretty good!

Huh - I tried to make screenshots to illustrate my points via crude drawings, but amnesia wouldn't let me. Strange.

Anyway, I can only give you feedback on the graphical side: In my opinion your rooms tend to look a bit too empty and as a result of that too big.
Try to avoid having these big areas of floor with nothing on it, as the repeating textures there really catch the eye. Put a carpet on there, some rubble, documents lying on the floor, anything that breaks up the monotonous surface. Same goes for the walls (to a lesser extend).

You might also want to add more visual interest to repeating assets. If for example you have several sacks next to each other, (like in the storage room) don't have them all in the same orientation. Rotate them, lean them against each other or against the wall or lie one of them down.

As a rule of thumb, try to integrate larger objects into the scenery by placing smaller ones around it. It will make them look less awkward and out of place. (You already did this very well with the piano) For example if you have a shelf full of books, place some book piles around it or a small table next to it, maybe a with comfy chair for reading and a candle...

Also, try to create "object islands" instead of evenly distributing assets around a room. This is especially apparent in the storage room which looks a bit random right now. If you look at the original amnesia, you almost never have stuff just standing around randomly. Instead, most of the time there are these "islands" visible that look more natural. Its a bit hard to explain, this concept art here shows it pretty well:
Storage room (Three object islands as well as small candles, stones and bottles to integrate the big assets into the scenery)

Hope I could help somewhat! I'm looking forward to the next version of this map Smile
Haha, thank you. That was really insightful. I shall try to work on that. Did you jump or get startled even a little when you were playing though? Tongue

(07-31-2012, 09:39 AM)fuytko Wrote: Played.Because it's your first map,it was good.

Tips:

1.Don't put too much stuff like tinderboxes,oils,sanity potions and laudanum on every place.
2.I saw some blinking in textures..I don't like it.
3.I fall down from the tunnel when I was jumping.Put some block boxes there.

But it was really good.
Sorry for my bad english,if it is Smile
Blinking textures...I will have to look into that. Do you any specific areas where it is very noticeable?
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2012, 08:46 PM by Soverain.)
07-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

I think I remember a part in the corridor after the piano room where two wall parts were overlapping... if thats what fuytko means.
And the fact that the text on screen told me something like "holy sh** what is that?" about 10 seconds before the brute actually started tearing down the door diminished the effect of the jumpscare a lot Wink But well, that probably wasn't intentional. ^^
07-31-2012, 10:40 PM
Find
Soverain Offline

(07-31-2012, 10:40 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: I think I remember a part in the corridor after the piano room where two wall parts were overlapping... if thats what fuytko means.
And the fact that the text on screen told me something like "holy sh** what is that?" about 10 seconds before the brute actually started tearing down the door diminished the effect of the jumpscare a lot Wink But well, that probably wasn't intentional. ^^
yeah, sometimes he does that but most oftentimes when he should instantly tear down the door when you get close
08-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Find