Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Announcement Japanese Takeshi Castle Gameshow
mrensayne Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Japanese Takeshi Castle Gameshow

Ok, after browsing these forums more closely I realized that it is more "hardcore" than I first thought.

This is not a serious map with a story; it is a "minigame" where you run around a honeycomb maze trying to reach the end while avoiding the monsters. (The Takeshi Castle Gameshow scenario)

Remember, stories + predictable effects DO NOT HAVE REPLAY VALUE. This however is made to have replay value (unless you play it to the point that you start being able to actually predict positions which not even I have reached)

If you can't enjoy it, it is most likely because you have spent too much time on these forums dealing with serious projects that try to mimic the actual game Amnesia.

No insults intended at all. Big Grin

TL;DR - This is not meant to be a story, but more of a re playable fun "game-type".

(08-01-2012, 10:55 AM)The Shanus Wrote: Oh, well I just legged it past him :p Didnt find a key though, after watching that video I just ran round the outside. You need to fixsome of the mapping aswell, you have a long drop at the edges of the map instead of walls, so that it kills you, and perhaps using the trapdoor type thing instead of an actual door so that it swings both ways. Just resize it? Also, someone recently asked in the developement support about resetting the map, so look there. I'm not an advance scripter nor mapper, but I've messed around with it and know most of the relevant things. And it doesn't take a protege' to see some small flaws [:
Ahhhh... A re-sized trap door for being able to open both directions. Genius.

I'll give it a try, but isn't having to worry about which way the door will open part of the challenge? Cool

Also, I don't see any areas in the map where you can fall out of... there are however a few doors that are "locked" which keep you from seeing outside of the map. Maybe they aren't "locked" for you?
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2012, 11:25 AM by mrensayne.)
08-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Find
The Shanus Offline

Threads: 15

What I meant is that you should set that map so that instead of walls at the edges, there is a drop which can kill you. Oh, I thought I saw from the video that they opened both ways! But sure, makes it harder [; Perhaps set it then through scripting so that the monsters automatically see you, and so when you replay it, they dont only see you once you alert them? That way they wont be hiding in the same spot. Or if you do script a resetting, have inactive monsters in other rooms, and set them active upon respawning. Just ideas ^^ Aside from that just touch it up, and you have a fun little panic-inducing minigame!

[Image: theshanusyoutube.jpg]
08-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Find
mrensayne Offline

(08-01-2012, 11:32 AM)The Shanus Wrote: What I meant is that you should set that map so that instead of walls at the edges, there is a drop which can kill you. Oh, I thought I saw from the video that they opened both ways! But sure, makes it harder [; Perhaps set it then through scripting so that the monsters automatically see you, and so when you replay it, they dont only see you once you alert them? That way they wont be hiding in the same spot. Or if you do script a resetting, have inactive monsters in other rooms, and set them active upon respawning. Just ideas ^^ Aside from that just touch it up, and you have a fun little panic-inducing minigame!

My first version didn't have walls, but I realized that I would have to add multiple floors due to the Hexagonal shape of the map edges. I didn't want to bother with trying to fill it all in but I can definitely do it tomorrow and upload it. (Having water on the edges of the maze with water creatures would have been best) Wink

I'm script-retarded because other game engines I use to use had everything interfaced and clean... which amnesia completely lacks.

I will be learning c++ in a college course this coming quarter so until then I will just stick to simplicity unless one of you want to take the time to make a cool script.

THANKS FOR TRYING IT OUT BTW! A lot of these "elites" won't touch unprofessional maps but it is nice to see someone enjoyed the "game-type" style instead of the 1 time deal story mode. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2012, 12:19 PM by mrensayne.)
08-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Find
The Shanus Offline

Threads: 15

(08-01-2012, 12:18 PM)mrensayne Wrote:
(08-01-2012, 11:32 AM)The Shanus Wrote: What I meant is that you should set that map so that instead of walls at the edges, there is a drop which can kill you. Oh, I thought I saw from the video that they opened both ways! But sure, makes it harder [; Perhaps set it then through scripting so that the monsters automatically see you, and so when you replay it, they dont only see you once you alert them? That way they wont be hiding in the same spot. Or if you do script a resetting, have inactive monsters in other rooms, and set them active upon respawning. Just ideas ^^ Aside from that just touch it up, and you have a fun little panic-inducing minigame!

My first version didn't have walls, but I realized that I would have to add multiple floors due to the Hexagonal shape of the map edges. I didn't want to bother with trying to fill it all in but I can definitely do it tomorrow and upload it. (Having water on the edges of the maze with water creatures would have been best) Wink

I'm script-retarded because other game engines I use to use had everything interfaced and clean... which amnesia completely lacks.

I will be learning c++ in a college course this coming quarter so until then I will just stick to simplicity unless one of you want to take the time to make a cool script.

THANKS FOR TRYING IT OUT BTW! A lot of these "elites" won't touch unprofessional maps but it is nice to see someone enjoyed the "game-type" style instead of the 1 time deal story mode. Tongue
Well the script used in amnesia isn't hard to pick up. I learned a good deal in 3 days, certainly enough to do everything you seem to need. If you head on over to the wiki most things are there, and if not just post in the support section of the forum :] Lemme remind you that C++ is not the be all and end all of programming. To really understand it, you need to learn the theory behind it. C++ is not exactly the same as the scripting in amnesia, as far as I can tell, but it will definitely help. Just looking at tutorials on youtube and the wiki will get you much further than you need :] Of course, I can try help, but I'm a little rusty on the AngelScript used for amnesia Tongue

[Image: theshanusyoutube.jpg]
08-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Find
mrensayne Offline

Of course. Tongue

It is just one language out of many.

I'll look into putting in more script in the coming days.
08-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-01-2012, 06:45 PM)The Shanus Wrote: Well the script used in amnesia isn't hard to pick up. I learned a good deal in 3 days, certainly enough to do everything you seem to need. If you head on over to the wiki most things are there, and if not just post in the support section of the forum :] Lemme remind you that C++ is not the be all and end all of programming. To really understand it, you need to learn the theory behind it. C++ is not exactly the same as the scripting in amnesia, as far as I can tell, but it will definitely help. Just looking at tutorials on youtube and the wiki will get you much further than you need :] Of course, I can try help, but I'm a little rusty on the AngelScript used for amnesia Tongue
It's not the be all end all but it is one of the more powerful and it is a great way to learn about programming in general because as you said, the theory is essential. C++ is loaded with undefined behavior so in most tutorials and beginner's books all of the inner workings are explained to you so you understand completely what you are doing, or else you can end up with at best a few dangling pointers and at worst a blank HD (not impossible). I'm not very advanced (beginner-intermediate/intermediate probably) but the stuff I've learned about computers and programming in general for the time I've put in is exuberant. The majority (at worst 50%) of game engines are programmed in C-based languages (particularly C for older engines and C++) because C++ especially is very expressive and the environment is among the most low-level out there so you can manipulate the hardware more easily and to a much more powerful degree than in other more high-level programming languages.
08-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Find