Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Oculus Rift Support
GrixM Offline

Threads: 2
Oculus Rift Support

I've been a huge fan of Frictional Games ever since I bought the penumbra collection at a steam sale once, and I am stoked for the new Amnesia game they just announced! However, I have a suggestion for either Frictional games themselves or maybe a modder, that I think would make the games even better, by far!

As most horror games, amnesia and penumbra are both about immersion and feeling like you're actually there, otherwise it wouldn't be scary at all. Today I heard about the Oculus Rift, a head mounted 3D display with head tracking. Other similar systems are available, but no one this good (it would seem) or cheap, and I can't even imagine how incredibly immersive it would be to play horror games using that system.

They have a kickstarter going in which you can preorder the display itself and SDK needed to integrate the head tracking and other features into the HPL engine(s), and it's only $300. http://oculusvr.com/?page_id=2
They have already gained a lot of support from other giants in the gaming industry, for example Gabe Newell.

If anyone got time and money to order the SDK and make a mod, I'm sure a lot of people would be grateful! I actually think Frictional Games themselves should integrate it into the next amnesia or even older games as I think it would not only make the game(s) better for the Oculus Rift owners, but also attract new buyers, but I understand if they have other priorities..
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012, 12:43 AM by GrixM.)
08-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: Oculus Rift Support

Amnesia is the type of game that doesn't need expensive peripherals like that to provide an immersive experience.

Also, the fact that you made your account today and have a single post (not to mention in a completely random forum) makes me think you're just a shameless throwaway trying to advertise that product. Sure VR is an interesting idea and I don't doubt that it's as good as they say, but perhaps you should spend time doing it yourself instead of advertising it and hoping others will pick up the ball for you.

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012, 01:10 AM by palistov.)
08-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

One post, no picture, advertising.
Hmmmmm. Though I'm fine with pitching what may be great ideas, and helping out in the development of great things in need you need to at least pretend like you give a shit about other things on the forum first.
08-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

Here is more about Oculus Rift
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523...o-the-game

Looks pretty damn awesome.
08-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Find
GrixM Offline

(08-02-2012, 01:04 AM)palistov Wrote: Also, the fact that you made your account today and have a single post (not to mention in a completely random forum) makes me think you're just a shameless throwaway trying to advertise that product.
(08-02-2012, 01:17 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: One post, no picture, advertising.
Hmmmmm. Though I'm fine with pitching what may be great ideas, and helping out in the development of great things in need you need to at least pretend like you give a shit about other things on the forum first.

Here's an older account of mine: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/user-8093.html
Made a new one because I couldn't remember the old password and I got a new email. I haven't had the need to post on this forum that often.

Here's proof that I "give a shit": http://steamcommunity.com/id/poetpotet/g...b=all#0|25
About 50 hours play time on games from Frictional. I've played through Penumbra 1&2 three times.

I was sure I posted this in the mods section, hm.. Can an admin move the thread?

There, are you happy? Can we please return to topic?

Quote: Amnesia is the type of game that doesn't need expensive peripherals like that to provide an immersive experience.

That's not an argument, I'm not talking about whether or not Amnesia needs this support to be immersive, I'm saying implementing support would increase immersion. Why not make a good thing even better?

Quote:Sure VR is an interesting idea and I don't doubt that it's as good as they say, but perhaps you should spend time doing it yourself instead of advertising it and hoping others will pick up the ball for you.

I have preordered a kit for myself, however I am not nearly skilled enough myself to make a proper mod.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012, 01:21 PM by GrixM.)
08-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

It simply won't happen because honestly, how many people are going to own this thing?
It would be a waste of time and money to implement support for this.
08-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Find
Jakob Rosenblatt Offline

Threads: 9

I think Frictional Games would be very interessted in HMDs (with low latency head tracking) like Oculus Rift. The Penumbra/Amnesia games are all about immersion.

The kickstarter Oculus Rift Version (the developer kit) is primarily for (indie) game developers to have their games ready when the consumer version hits the market. If Oculus gets the head tracking right it will have a hell of an impact.
08-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

(08-02-2012, 02:21 PM)Jakob Rosenblatt Wrote: I think Frictional Games would be very interessted in HMDs (with low latency head tracking) like Oculus Rift. The Penumbra/Amnesia games are all about immersion.

The kickstarter Oculus Rift Version (the developer kit) is primarily for (indie) game developers to have their games ready when the consumer version hits the market. If Oculus gets the head tracking right it will have a hell of an impact.
Precisely, it helps loads with immersion. Instead of just seeing the monitor screen and its borders and surroundings, you would just see the game and instead of dragging your mouse along you move your head etc.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012, 03:45 PM by Arvuti.)
08-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Find
GrixM Offline

(08-02-2012, 02:00 PM)Traggey Wrote: It simply won't happen because honestly, how many people are going to own this thing?

More people than you think, I'm guessing. Already 2600 people have pre-ordered the prototype, and it's only been ONE DAY since they started the kickstarter. And other developers does not seem to think it's a waste of time to integrate support, including Valve, id Software, Epic Games, Mojang, etc.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012, 04:13 PM by GrixM.)
08-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

The product isn't even out yet for the average consumer and it won't be available for developers till December. They don't even estimate a price for the average consumer and whether or not this will have any undesirable health effects. Companies bigger than FrictionalGames have less risks to worry about when investing in something like this. Even if we consider that over 3,000 people have invested in the product, compared to the over 400,000 copies that Amnesia is recorded to have sold, 3,000 no longer seems like a lot. Being excited for a product is not enough of a justification to invest in it. I understand the kickstarter just started, but that should be all the more reason to sit and wait to see if it'll be worth it for any company.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Website Find