Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scripting beginner
kittyzilla90 Offline

Threads: 2
Scripting beginner

Hey guys, I'm new to create custom games, and scripting here. And I'm trying to learn the scripting part a bit better. I would like to know where a good place to start would be for me to learn scripts for the engine. I don't want to just copy and paste from the wiki, I want to actually learn the whole scripting thing from the beginning, and I want a good place to start. I know that the wiki said to try java, but after studying it for a bit, it didn't seem like it would help, as java was only teaching me how to script paragraphs, ect., and game scripting seems very different. Is java really the best place to start, have I just not gotten far enough in? But anyways, I would just like to know where to start learning. Thank you. Smile
08-06-2012, 04:48 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
RE: Scripting beginner

I learn by example, and found much of the wiki to be useless in actually teaching me how to script well.

Download a few well-known maps such as Abduction or La Caza, those are usually made by proficient scripters. Open up their map files in Notepad++, explore the different functions they use to create events and puzzles, learn.

Alternative, youtube tutorials help as well.

[Image: p229xcq]
08-06-2012, 05:03 AM
Find
The Shanus Offline

Threads: 15

Going through this http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/lesson1.html will develop your programming skills, and teach you stuff that's similar to what's used in the hpl engine, I believe. I was doing what you said before, although I understood it when I looked at it, but this explains everything.

[Image: theshanusyoutube.jpg]
08-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Find
kittyzilla90 Offline

Threads: 2

Alright, thanks guys. I plan to try both of these ideas. Thank you. (:
08-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Find
lolmaster Offline

Threads: 9

Also, use Amnesia's scripts as an example. It's how I learned to make levers activate vertical doors.

08-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Find