Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make Enemies
EXAWOLT Offline

Threads: 14
RE: How to make Enemies

fishnugget, if you wanna make your own monster, download any of these 3D programs and learn them by searching in the site forums(most sites does have these) , or find anyone in this forum to make them for yah

simply nuff said

08-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

What you're asking for is a huge request. Making these things isn't as easy as you may think. I've been playing with 3d modelling tools myself for probably 6-8 months now, and I still don't have the skills to create my own enemy. You need to have artistic ability, something that I certainly don't have. Creating both of what you need would take a long, long time and much dedication.
For the time being, I would recommend you stick with the default enemies. The most "editing" you could do to the Grunt or Brute would be a re-texture, and even that would take time.

08-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

......okayyy. Now just out of curiosity let's see how long it would take me to make the Jason model in the quality I demand of myself when modeling. Big Grin
I'll assume that I have enough time to work 8 hours a day.

1. creating an anatomically correct naked human basemesh: ~2-3 days, depending on the level of detail desired. The mask makes it easier because face always takes the longest and he doesn't show any skin so I won't need to make photoprojections.

2. creating the clothes: His clothes are pretty simple pattern-wise (simple shirt, pants and jacket) but realistic folds are always a huge pain to do and his clothes have a lot of wrinkles. (I prefer doing folds by hand instead of simulating cloth to have more control). I say ... 3 days including the shoes and mask. (Mask is very easy, Shoes are pretty painful)

3. time for retopo/ lowpoly. 1 day until the geometry is nice and clean, 1/2 day for UV layout.

4. baking the normal map and ambient occlusion from high- to lowpoly. Very straightforward in theory but I've baked enough stuff to know that SOMETHING always goes wrong. Better give me a whole day for this, just to be safe.

5. Texturing. He's not super-fancy texture wise but still, all those dirt and blood stains might take a few tries until they look believable. 1 day. (including spec map and fine details for the normal map)

Let's see...that makes... 9 1/2 days for the mesh and material if I could work the whole time straight without any distractions or other stuff to do.

On to the rig. Having already written some useful MEL-scripts to make this process easier I think I could crunch the whole joint hierarchy and control rig into one day. Skinning takes 1/2 day.

Animations take about one day each, depending on how long/ complicated they are. Let's say we need a walk, idle and attack. idle is easy, attack is hard, walk is average, so 3 days.

sooo... that's at least 15 days of non-stop work I'd have to do for a complete stranger on the internet for a project I don't even know. Sorry but even if I had the time for it, it still wouldn't happen. Sad
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 11:00 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I agree with Kman. Considering you don't seem to know how to use Google or understand the difference between the HPL2 tools and 3D modeling programs, I would just suggest using the original monsters until you decide to study up.

And no offense, these "monsters" don't exactly seem serious enough to be made. I can't imagine how your "story" is going to play if you include Jason and fucking MLP with a chainsaw.

Spoiler below!
[Image: picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151]
08-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

(08-09-2012, 08:16 AM)Fishnugget Wrote: [Image: 124487 - flutterrage fluttershy hey_hey_...ED.MOV.png]
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/gvdf5n-zI14[/video]

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
08-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Invite someone over to your house, and throw a rock at them.
Look at that! You made an enemy.
08-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

Lol'ed at this whole thread.

[Image: p229xcq]
08-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Find
lolmaster Offline

Threads: 9

oboy, op must not feel like the sharpest knife in the drawer right about now

08-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(08-10-2012, 07:03 PM)lolmaster Wrote: oboy, op must not feel like the sharpest knife in the drawer right about now
Really? Because it seems that every comment he(she) makes is a painful stab in my being.
08-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Ok, here i go. I'm using blender, and i still have to know well how does it work. I tried to:
1: Import the brute
2: With edit mode, i got some edges of it's sword and i moved them, so it seems an axe, and I exported it as a .dae (with another name, of course)
Then, i went to Model editor and I tried to import the mesh. It crashed. I know that modeling is very hard, but for my CS i would like to have a bit different character.
I think that it is a texture problem, but i'm not sure.
I don't exactly know if i'm asking too much, but i want to do something for beggining. Perhaps i should begin with desks, or something, but i'm not really interested on furniture.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
08-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Find