Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title Intro
TheIcyPickle Offline

Threads: 16
Title Intro

Would this be even possible? Adding text to the center of the screen saying like

"Frictional Games Fourms..."

"Presents..."

"Super Awesome Custom Story" (this would be the main title)

I think you guys know what I mean. I just want to make my CS more cinematic. Having a text intro would be cool!

But how would you do it? In the level editor? Is there a script? Something in the .lang?

I'm sure its possible. I've seen it before.. Unless it requires you convert it into a full conversion mod..

Anywho, thanks for reading and helping in advance!
08-15-2012, 05:17 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Title Intro

You can use setmessage and some timers

Trying is the first step to success.
08-15-2012, 05:31 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

If you haven't already, read the following page from top to bottom and you will have instantaneous knowledge of roughly 90% of all functions for this engine:

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn..._functions

The most basic way to display text is through set message, the function looks like this:

SetMessage(string& asTextCategory, string& asTextEntry, float afTime);
asTextCategory = Name of the category in the lang file
asTextEntry = Name of the entry in the lang file
afTime = float of time in seconds; if 0 is used, the game will perform an algorithm based on the number of characters and generate it's own ideal time for the message to be displayed, not particularly useful for cinematic scenes though

A crash course in the extra_english.lang:

-Use the xml language (in notepad++, I'm not sure about geany, never used it)
-Everything is organized like so Language > Category > Entry/Entry < /Category < /Language
-You should probably look at the original game's lang file to better understand the previous point

If you're feeling a little more fancy/flashy and have access to Photoshop, you can make a custom billboard, saying anything your heart desires in any font! Hell, it doesn't even have to be a font, you can hand draw it.*

Get an image of whatever it is you'd like (preferably saved in the .PNG file format), open it in Photoshop then re-size it to have dimensions that are a power of 2 (i.e. 2 to the power of 10, or 2^10 is 1024, so you could use 1024x1024), once that's done, export it as a .DDS file (the 2d texture kind). Open up an existing billboard in the HPL2 material editor, replace the texture with the one you made, and (making sure to hit "save as...') save it as whatever you want. You can now use these billboards in the level editor to create cool cinematic events.

*The following is the method I've done in the past that works, I'm sure there is more than one way to accomplish this

Hope that helped!

I rate it 3 memes.
08-15-2012, 05:32 AM
Find
TheIcyPickle Offline

Threads: 16

Oh yeah, thanks, I tried searchin and stuff. Couldn't find anything. Thanks for the link. Andy, you are da boss!
You have helped me so much!
Your name along w/ all the other helpers are going in the credits of my CS!
08-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Find