Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

120Hz @ 30fps / 60Hz @ 30fps
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: 120Hz @ 30fps / 60Hz @ 30fps

Don't compare TVs with PC monitors. 120hz might be worth it with powerful graphic cards in your system, at least then the graphic cards would keep up with the monitor.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Website Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Doesn't that make the 30fps look like 60fps, since it flickers the screen four times, instead of the current two (60Hz)?

I don't know how else to explain my view, but I try:

30fps*4x = 120Hz / 2 = 60fps (FRAPS still says 30fps of course)
Even if it flickers four times instead of two, if the graphic card can't give the monitor a new frame to display, you'll simply see the same picture four times in a row instead of two.
It's like if someone is putting boxes on a conveyor belt - the speed of the belt has no effect on the speed of the guy putting stuff on it. Big Grin

now I don't know much about TVs, but here's an article that might help you with that:

Click

In a nutshell, it says that 120 Hz Screens interpolate between the pictures to create a smoother effect, but your broadcast still only gives it 60 pictures per second to work with. When you watch an old movie (24 or 30 fps) the interpolation effect can even be too extreme and look unnatural.
08-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29

Like the guy above said, if you double the refresh rate of the monitor, the monitor will have the time to display the same frame twice or more times, but when the monitor shows an image, and then decides to show the same image, you don't see any change anyway, the frames per second you see are the same.
08-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Find
GraphicsKid Offline

Threads: 34

That article implies that 120hz naturally interpolates between the frames... um... no... no not at all. That's just a stupid "feature" that some TVs have... it has nothing to do with the actual refresh rate of the machine.

I'm going to put this to bed once and for all guys... so listen up! (or don't...)

Hz, or HERTZ, is just a unit for cycles per second. That's just the number of images that get flashed up on the screen in one second. 120Hz = 120 images displayed per second. This is the MONITOR displaying the image it is given 120 times per second. Now that image can change as much or as little as it wants in that second. That's all dependent on the FRAME RATE, or FRAMES PER SECOND of whatever it's displaying (ie. Amnesia). If you have a 120Hz monitor, but you're playing an awful custom story made by a child who thinks more monsters = more scary, and as a result your computer is being bogged down by 20 grunts and is running at... oh let's say... 45 frames per second... that doesn't change the REFRESH RATE of the screen (120Hz in this case). Okay, so it's going to display 120 images in a second... but the computer is only giving it 45... so what gives? Well what that means is that the monitor is going to be flashing up an identical image multiple times because the computer just hasn't given it a new one yet... or maybe it has, it just hasn't finished delivering it yet. You ever notice how sometimes if you whip your mouse around real fast, straight, vertical lines sort of disconnect? A solid, vertical column might look like it's in two pieces! This is because the image is drawn from top to bottom, and the monitor is going to display whatever the hell it as, regardless of whether or not the image is through being delivered. So if this marble column we're all imagining in our heads is filling up the screen, and the image is only half-way finished drawing, and you're whip-panning from left to right, then the column will appear to break in two pieces, the top part further to the right. Bear in mind, this is happening very vast (45 times per second in this example) so it's not a very obvious effect. Ever wonder what V-SYNC is? No, you're thinking of N-Sync, I'm talking about V-SYNC. What that means, is it prevents the data being displayed from being changed before the monitor is done displaying it.

Hope this has helped.
08-22-2012, 04:05 AM
Find