Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which Lovecraftian Monster(s) would you like to see in a game by FG?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shoggoth
14.63%
6 14.63%
Elder Thing
12.20%
5 12.20%
Flying Polyp
7.32%
3 7.32%
Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath
9.76%
4 9.76%
Shub-Niggurath
2.44%
1 2.44%
Deep One
17.07%
7 17.07%
Star Spawn of Cthulhu
4.88%
2 4.88%
Cthulhu
12.20%
5 12.20%
Chthonian
7.32%
3 7.32%
Mi-Go
12.20%
5 12.20%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What Lovecraftian Monter(s) would you like to see in a future game?
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: What Lovecraftian Monter(s) would you like to see in a future game?

To be honest most of them don't really look scary to me, and I'm not saying it cause I'm trying to be some big macho badass, it's because they're just so over-done it loses a lot of the fear in my opinion. The reason the monsters from Amnesia and Penumbra were so effective in my opinion is because they resembled humans, but upon further inspection they're really incredibly deformed monsters. With a lot of these it looks like they just took a blob of something and slapped as many mouths/eyes/tentacles/arms etc. on it. I'm sure in his novels they would work very well, but I don't really think they'd transfer over into Amnesia or Penumbra without sticking out like a soar thumb.

Posting Freak
08-20-2012, 06:14 AM
Website Find
Jdog8998 Offline

Threads: 2

Personally, I'm always quite satisfied with what they come up with. I rather have it stay fresh then have them copy copy something we have already seen.
08-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

I don't want to be a naysayer or hop on the bandwagon here, Rock Worm, but to be honest, the monsters in Amnesia were so successful because of their obviously human origins. FG mentioned in one of their older blog posts that they intended for monsters to be human-like in appearance because it connected to the player on a level that those supernatural and godlike beings just can't,; It's something along the lines of it being so familiar and hitting close to home of how real and dangerous they were.

I'm hoping FG's new game will stick true to many of their design philosophies, because quite frankly they do the job and they do it damn well: they provide a great playing experience.

08-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

The half-transformed Innsmouthians from Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth were pretty terrifying imo. The game started out with normal humans as enemies and then gradually introduced those who were at the various stages of transformation until the fully transformed Deep Ones finally appeared. Interestingly, I found those "inbetween" guys the most scary.

But yeah, I think most of these are too big for an Amnesia game. A Shoggoth chase scene might work, but it would just be some sort of more mobile shadow with more eyes... hm.
Quote: To be honest most of them don't really look scary to me, and I'm not saying it cause I'm trying to be some big macho badass, it's because they're just so over-done it loses a lot of the fear in my opinion.
this. But I think it should be possible to MAKE them scary. I mean just look at all that freaky stuff that really exists in the deep sea. If this, thisand this are just normal fishies, swimming around in our normal oceans, I think there's still a lot of room for improvement in terms of scaryness, while still staying true to the original idea of, let's say, a Deep One.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2012, 11:40 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

I like this thread.
08-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(08-20-2012, 12:03 PM)Deep One Wrote: I like this thread.
I'm glad that you and the others here and enjoying it! You have a great looking Deep One avatar Cool

(08-20-2012, 11:39 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: A Shoggoth chase scene might work, but it would just be some sort of more mobile shadow with more eyes... hm.

But I think it should be possible to MAKE them scary. I mean just look at all that freaky stuff that really exists in the deep sea.

That was I was thinking for the Shoggoth, but consider this: It's a protoplasmic creature. It can 'mold' itself to fit through any doorway or corridor to large for other monsters. You would only escape it by causing a cave in or hope it sees the other monsters for food.

I agree that they can be made scary. The images I found were to give people the knowledge of what they looked like based on the Lovecraft descriptions. I figured they'd be modified for Frictional Games uses. I like the idea of using deep sea fish for the fish-side of the Deep Ones. Imagine if a Deep One with its 'fishing lure' light tricked you into thinking it was a person with a lantern/flashlight.

As for their size, as I said Frictional Games could make its own variation of these monsters, they could make them smaller (or the are massive).
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2012, 03:03 PM by The Rock Worm.)
08-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: As for their size, as I said Frictional Games could make its own variation of these monsters, they could make them smaller (or the are massive)
Or, y' know, as I may have already mentioned in some other thread, just have the whole game play underwater! I think those horrors would be much more horrifying if you had to face them on their own turf.

Imagine, you're a deep sea diver, armed with nothing but a flashlight and wearing a heavy suit that makes you walk on the ocean floor. (like those sections in bioshock 2 - but WAY darker) Around you is nothing but pitch black darkness and every step you make stirs up clouds of sediment, further impeding our vision. Every now and then you hear something huge move somwhere near you, strange bone cracking sounds (whenever it eats an unfortunate fish), deep whale like moaning - and when you finally manage to shine your flashlight at the thing you realise it's so friggin' huge you can't even fathom what it looks like as a whole because your small light cone can only reveal a small part of the thing at a time.

Did you ever play the flash game Fisher Diver ? It manages to create exactly that kind of horror and it uses extremely minimalistic graphics. Now imagine what it would be like if Frictional created something like that game o.O
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2012, 04:59 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(08-20-2012, 04:59 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: As for their size, as I said Frictional Games could make its own variation of these monsters, they could make them smaller (or the are massive)
Or, y' know, as I may have already mentioned in some other thread, just have the whole game play underwater! I think those horrors would be much more horrifying if you had to face them on their own turf.

Imagine, you're a deep sea diver, armed with nothing but a flashlight and wearing a heavy suit that makes you walk on the ocean floor. (like those sections in bioshock 2 - but WAY darker) Around you is nothing but pitch black darkness and every step you make stirs up clouds of sediment, further impeding our vision. Every now and then you hear something huge move somwhere near you, strange bone cracking sounds (whenever it eats an unfortunate fish), deep whale like moaning - and when you finally manage to shine your flashlight at the thing you realise it's so friggin' huge you can't even fathom what it looks like as a whole because your small light cone can only reveal a small part of the thing at a time.

Did you ever play the flash game Fisher Diver ? It manages to create exactly that kind of horror and it uses extremely minimalistic graphics. Now imagine what it would be like if Frictional created something like that game o.O
Considering I love deep sea critters and deep sea exploration, that has a LOT of appeal to me! I think this is a great idea! We as humans, while we can swim, are not very good in the water in comparison to the native life.

I've just tried day 1 of the Fisher Diver game. It's a fun game, and I can see the scares and horrors created when Frictional Games makes a full underwater adventure!
08-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

We could always make an underwater Custom Story... Wink

Did you also get to the first nightmare that comes after day 1? Big Grin What I find so facinating about that simple little game is that you KNOW it's a bad idea to dive deep down, but nevertheless I could find myself buying equipment and upgrades that would let me dive a little bit deeper every day... until one day I suddenly realised I had passed the point of no return, where my air wouldn't last for the way back up. Surprisingly strong emotions for a flash game, I must say.

Edit: I first thought, the Elder things looked a bit ridiculous, but I just found a way scarier depiction of one: Elder Thing
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2012, 11:00 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(08-20-2012, 10:48 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: We could always make an underwater Custom Story... Wink

Did you also get to the first nightmare that comes after day 1? Big Grin What I find so facinating about that simple little game is that you KNOW it's a bad idea to dive deep down, but nevertheless I could find myself buying equipment and upgrades that would let me dive a little bit deeper every day... until one day I suddenly realised I had passed the point of no return, where my air wouldn't last for the way back up. Surprisingly strong emotions for a flash game, I must say.

Edit: I first thought, the Elder things looked a bit ridiculous, but I just found a way scarier depiction of one: Elder Thing
I did get the nightmare after day 1! I'm doing the same thing, trying to dive deeper and deeper down! So far I finished Day 6, I wonder if/when I see the monster in real life and not a nightmare? Still, a form of this simple game would be great for Frictional Games! I once tested higher water in Amnesia, and the underwater effects are not the same as Penumbra.

That is a scary look to the Elder Thing, thanks for the find Big Grin . I found on deviantart.com the person who made it http://skullbeast.deviantart.com/
08-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Find