Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which Lovecraftian Monster(s) would you like to see in a game by FG?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shoggoth
14.63%
6 14.63%
Elder Thing
12.20%
5 12.20%
Flying Polyp
7.32%
3 7.32%
Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath
9.76%
4 9.76%
Shub-Niggurath
2.44%
1 2.44%
Deep One
17.07%
7 17.07%
Star Spawn of Cthulhu
4.88%
2 4.88%
Cthulhu
12.20%
5 12.20%
Chthonian
7.32%
3 7.32%
Mi-Go
12.20%
5 12.20%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What Lovecraftian Monter(s) would you like to see in a future game?
Eliphas Offline

Threads: 1
RE: What Lovecraftian Monter(s) would you like to see in a future game?

Hm. First of all I can not imagine that one can bring monsters such as Cthulhu and Shub-Niggurath in Amnesia. From a conceptual point of view it is quite possible, but by fidelity to the Lovecraftian Myth I confess to being a little reluctant to be able to see Cthulhu or a Ancient in any custom story. It's stupid, yes, but totally subjective.
Number of monsters also proposed seem a bit complex, but I think it would be definitely interesting to work on the Dark young of Shubb Nigurath. On this or on kind of human thing, such as the Innsmouth inhabitants in Dark corners of the earth.
I was working on an hummanoid but I am too noob in 3D to finish it; I can always try to seek for help arround there in order to produce something interesting by the way.
08-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Find
Gaviao Offline

Threads: 3

Star Spawn of Cthulhu reminds me of some alien dogs when i was playing halo:reach in my xbox 360 '-'

but whatever,i wonder what pewdie will say when he sees a fuckin scary mutant pig from hell when he plays amnesia:a machine for pigs,
@topic
they alredy made pigs as enemies for their next game bro,maybe next time =D
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2012, 03:19 AM by Gaviao.)
08-21-2012, 03:16 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: I once tested higher water in Amnesia, and the underwater effects are not the same as Penumbra.
Maybe you wouldn't need screen effects. I think one could create underwater atmosphere simply through a ton of particles moving like they're underwater, custom sounds (most important), changing the movement and jumping/ falling speed of the player so it feels more sluggish, having a harsh falloff for the light from the flashlight, maybe putting some sort of texture in front of the camera so it looks like you're looking through glass...
Quote: they alredy made pigs as enemies for their next game bro,maybe next time =D
Nobody knows that for sure actually...everybody just assumes it's pigs because of the title and a glimpse of skin we could see in the trailer.
Besides, A Machine for Pigs is created by thechineseroom. We don't know anything about Frictional's next project yet. Wink
08-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(08-21-2012, 10:55 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: I once tested higher water in Amnesia, and the underwater effects are not the same as Penumbra.
Maybe you wouldn't need screen effects. I think one could create underwater atmosphere simply through a ton of particles moving like they're underwater, custom sounds (most important), changing the movement and jumping/ falling speed of the player so it feels more sluggish, having a harsh falloff for the light from the flashlight, maybe putting some sort of texture in front of the camera so it looks like you're looking through glass...
True, that could work. I was thinking of importing the Penumbra Water from Black Plague/Requiem. Another problem is to few of sea monsters. Aside from the Kaernk, Frictional Games doesn't have water monsters.

Speaking of water monsters, I have a few ideas of 'Deep One' variants:

1: Angler Deep One (found artwork by Adam Bray here http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg34/scal...es=landing) Abilities/Stats: Females (who have the biological fishing lure) are bigger than the males. They use their fishing lure to (at the players very fist encounter) draw the player towards it. If he survives the first encounter, then they use the lure as a flashlight to search for him. The males, even though small, have an annoying bite and come in groups. During a chase, they tend to try to hold a player down so that the female can finish him off. Angler Deep Ones are fast but physically weak.

2: Dunkleosteus Deep One {Thought I saw an image of one, but that was some time ago and hiving trouble finding it. As for Dunkleosteus, I'm uncertain as to any difference between males and females.} While not as fast as the Angler Deep Ones, they are much stronger! Their favorite tactic is to charge you head on. As their skulls are a very special tough bone, your deep sea weapons can't hurt it. Their scales are very tough, chain-mail like. A shotgun at point blank range at places other than the head, it's not recommended. They are tough enough to make a hole in the side of a NAVY Sub with one punch! (Their head bashes are stronger, and their skin is thick). As for size, female Angler Deep Ones are player sized; Dunkleosteus Deep Ones are twelve foot tall!

Not sure if they should (both Deep One variants) have regeneration. I think so, but what speed/amount? Maybe half their health at a time (as opposed to 5 for the Grunt/Brute). Because they are agile, Angler Deep Ones have lower health than the player.

If these could be put into Frictional Games, they could be a great terror to the game.
08-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote:Another problem is to few of sea monsters. Aside from the Kaernk, Frictional Games doesn't have water monsters.
What about the Rock Worm? ^^ It looks more like a sea creature anyway. And not only that, it can attack from the sea floor, too. And the Shadow is based on Tubifex, which are underwater creatures, so it can be liberately sprinkled everywhere. Big Grin
With more "normal" enemies, like Deep Ones, I think the biggest problem would be to make them actually "swim" and use the whole 3D space for their navigation, not just the ground.

Both ideas sound pretty good, I especially like the lure-flashlight thing. I found it kinda disappointing that you were so 100% safe in the dark in Amnesia - in Black Plague i shat my pants everytime one of those infected walked past my hiding spot with his light and almost saw me...

Also, since it's so extremely dark in the deep sea you would be entirely blind as soon as you turned off your flashlight - but you have to as soon as you hear an enemy approach, because it makes you stand out like a sore thumb. And if the enemies carry lights themselves, at least you have a chance to escape them. Also bioluminescent organisms would add visual interest to an otherwise pitch black scene. (Not to be overdone of course - we're not doing an avatar remake here Wink )

Another feature that would go very well with the whole deep-sea-darkness-don't use-your-flashlight-thingy would be some sort of sonar. Remember that motion sensor from the human campaign of Alien vs. Predator 2? That thing really added to the horror because it would detect motion around you, while you could neither see nor hear the alien approach.
So you would hear that beep-beep from your motion sensor, but you coudn't tell if the alien was above you or in a vent or maybe right behind you...oftentimes, nothing would happen at all but that damn device made sure to keep you on edge. (Same thing with the radio in Silent Hill)

So imagine, your motion sensor bleeps, you turn off your flashlight and are now completely in the dark. And then it beeps faster as the creature comes closer and all you can do is try and move away from it carefully - you can't really tell from where it's coming or if you're even going the right way, but you don't dare to turn your light back on either... (of course this only works with enemies who don't have a light lure, otherwise it would be pointless)

I wouldn't worry about the regeneration too much, this game could work just as well without combat I think. I mean who would go deep sea diving with weapons anyway? People do it either for science, to search for shipwrecks or maybe to repair stuff like electric lines that run underwater. Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2012, 09:28 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(08-21-2012, 09:26 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote:Another problem is to few of sea monsters. Aside from the Kaernk, Frictional Games doesn't have water monsters.
What about the Rock Worm? ^^ It looks more like a sea creature anyway. And not only that, it can attack from the sea floor, too. And the Shadow is based on Tubifex, which are underwater creatures, so it can be liberately sprinkled everywhere. Big Grin
With more "normal" enemies, like Deep Ones, I think the biggest problem would be to make them actually "swim" and use the whole 3D space for their navigation, not just the ground.

Both ideas sound pretty good, I especially like the lure-flashlight thing. I found it kinda disappointing that you were so 100% safe in the dark in Amnesia - in Black Plague i shat my pants everytime one of those infected walked past my hiding spot with his light and almost saw me...

Also, since it's so extremely dark in the deep sea you would be entirely blind as soon as you turned off your flashlight - but you have to as soon as you hear an enemy approach, because it makes you stand out like a sore thumb. And if the enemies carry lights themselves, at least you have a chance to escape them. Also bioluminescent organisms would add visual interest to an otherwise pitch black scene. (Not to be overdone of course - we're not doing an avatar remake here Wink )

Another feature that would go very well with the whole deep-sea-darkness-don't use-your-flashlight-thingy would be some sort of sonar. Remember that motion sensor from the human campaign of Alien vs. Predator 2? That thing really added to the horror because it would detect motion around you, while you could neither see nor hear the alien approach.
So you would hear that beep-beep from your motion sensor, but you coudn't tell if the alien was above you or in a vent or maybe right behind you...oftentimes, nothing would happen at all but that damn device made sure to keep you on edge. (Same thing with the radio in Silent Hill)

So imagine, your motion sensor bleeps, you turn off your flashlight and are now completely in the dark. And then it beeps faster as the creature comes closer and all you can do is try and move away from it carefully - you can't really tell from where it's coming or if you're even going the right way, but you don't dare to turn your light back on either... (of course this only works with enemies who don't have a light lure, otherwise it would be pointless)

I wouldn't worry about the regeneration too much, this game could work just as well without combat I think. I mean who would go deep sea diving with weapons anyway? People do it either for science, to search for shipwrecks or maybe to repair stuff like electric lines that run underwater. Big Grin
I agree that you who goes on a scientific expedition wouldn't carry a weapon. Now while you don't carry weapons in Penumbra: Black Plague, I've seen videos of players who killed an Infected using a box and hitting it repeatedly. Tough Skin/Regeneration would help versus situations like this.

Yes, I have played some of the Alien vs Predator games, so I know how it feels when multiple aliens appear on the radar. You did give me an idea when you mentioned it. As for added scare, What if the Deep Ones were sonar proof? You pick up, let's say, a Dwarf Lantern Shark on sonar when all of a sudden a Deep One lunges for you! Let's say Anglers are completely invisible to sonar, but while the Dunkleosteus ones are as well they can choose to appear as a tiny fish to fool you!

I like the idea of the Rock Worm. I'm surprised I didn't think of it myself. I've heard and seen videos of large deep sea worms that prey on fish (Okay, so these worms aren't monsterous like the Penumbra one and prey on small fish, but that style/template could work for a gigantic Deep Sea Worm).

As for the player himself, we would need something to act as the scuba mask and air tanks. Now finding the wreck of a NAVY Sub, or an unfortunate diver in a Deep One City in the wall of a Deep Sea Trench, could offer 'batteries' for your light and extra air tanks.
08-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

(08-21-2012, 03:16 AM)Gaviao Wrote: Star Spawn of Cthulhu reminds me of some alien dogs when i was playing halo:reach in my xbox 360 '-'

but whatever,i wonder what pewdie will say when he sees a fuckin scary mutant pig from hell when he plays amnesia:a machine for pigs,
@topic

Do you have to talk about PewDie in EVERY. GODDAMN. THREAD!!?

On-topic: Lovecraft's creatures are fascinating, but I don't think that they fit into Amnesia...

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
08-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(08-21-2012, 10:58 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 03:16 AM)Gaviao Wrote: Star Spawn of Cthulhu reminds me of some alien dogs when i was playing halo:reach in my xbox 360 '-'

@topic

Do you have to talk about PewDie in EVERY. GODDAMN. THREAD!!?

On-topic: Lovecraft's creatures are fascinating, but I don't think that they fit into Amnesia...
These games (Penumbra and Amnesia) are inspired from Lovecraft's world. The Rock Worm from Penumbra is Frictional Games version of the Dhole from the Lovecratian universe. The Infected, being zombie-like, also fits in this world. Even the Grunts/Brutes would fit perfectly in his creation.

Let's pick the Shoggoth, for example, and think up an Amnesia story. You were and investigator who, despite Dyer's warnings, went to Antarctica. The trip there was so traumatic that you got amnesia upon the return trip home to study various artifacts...however the monster that hitchhiked unexpectedly with you (the Shoggoth) had other plans for your future!
08-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: I've seen videos of players who killed an Infected using a box and hitting it repeatedly. Tough Skin/Regeneration would help versus situations like this.
Ok that makes sense I guess. Tongue
Quote: As for added scare, What if the Deep Ones were sonar proof? You pick up, let's say, a Dwarf Lantern Shark on sonar when all of a sudden a Deep One lunges for you! Let's say Anglers are completely invisible to sonar, but while the Dunkleosteus ones are as well they can choose to appear as a tiny fish to fool you!
...that could work...but the player needs to learn the connection "sonar bleep = enemy" first, before you can play evil tricks on him, I think... it's like the experiment with Pavlovs dog : First, teach the player to expect danger after the bleep. Then, the bleep alone becomes a tool to scare and confuse him, even when nothing is happening.

The idea that you can pick up fishes with it too is really good, it makes for uncertainty. I also like the idea that you can get an estimate of the size of the object you're picking up. So your sonar shows you fish, maybe one or two human sized enemies and then, just when you've learned what the dot sizes on the screen represent in the real world, all of a sudden you see this really huge dot...like ten times the size of the others. And it's moving FAST!
Quote: As for the player himself, we would need something to act as the scuba mask and air tanks. Now finding the wreck of a NAVY Sub, or an unfortunate diver in a Deep One City in the wall of a Deep Sea Trench, could offer 'batteries' for your light and extra air tanks.
Oh yes, Deep One City is a must-have. But...how do you change a battery underwater? Tongue
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2012, 01:50 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-22-2012, 01:47 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(08-22-2012, 01:47 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: I've seen videos of players who killed an Infected using a box and hitting it repeatedly. Tough Skin/Regeneration would help versus situations like this.
Ok that makes sense I guess. Tongue
Quote: As for added scare, What if the Deep Ones were sonar proof? You pick up, let's say, a Dwarf Lantern Shark on sonar when all of a sudden a Deep One lunges for you! Let's say Anglers are completely invisible to sonar, but while the Dunkleosteus ones are as well they can choose to appear as a tiny fish to fool you!
...that could work...but the player needs to learn the connection "sonar bleep = enemy" first, before you can play evil tricks on him, I think... it's like the experiment with Pavlovs dog : First, teach the player to expect danger after the bleep. Then, the bleep alone becomes a tool to scare and confuse him, even when nothing is happening.

The idea that you can pick up fishes with it too is really good, it makes for uncertainty. I also like the idea that you can get an estimate of the size of the object you're picking up. So your sonar shows you fish, maybe one or two human sized enemies and then, just when you've learned what the dot sizes on the screen represent in the real world, all of a sudden you see this really huge dot...like ten times the size of the others. And it's moving FAST!
Quote: As for the player himself, we would need something to act as the scuba mask and air tanks. Now finding the wreck of a NAVY Sub, or an unfortunate diver in a Deep One City in the wall of a Deep Sea Trench, could offer 'batteries' for your light and extra air tanks.
Oh yes, Deep One City is a must-have. But...how do you change a battery underwater? Tongue
I agree that we should have "sonar bleep = enemy" before introducing the trick. Since large squids (such as the ones in the Sea of Cortez) have been known to attack people, why not have a deep sea squid go after you? Nothing too big, but enough to be a concern.

Good question, how does one change a battery underwater? For that matter, getting a new air tank. Aside from having a pocket of air to use (say the wreck of that NAVY Sub), you might have a special 'water proof' battery that stays on good and is easy to change, but takes time (which means you can't change it if on the 'run'). New Air Tanks, you have to have air to change them... or start changing into a Deep One.
08-22-2012, 02:34 AM
Find