Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

HL2 EP2: Grey Mod.
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: HL2 EP2: Grey Mod.

Quote: what you need to do is do what Monolith Did with the First NOLF, and
balance the 2, first your create your Plotline , who is whom, were they
go and why, and what happens to them. then you create the gameplay to
fit inside that plotline, then you create the story, you flush out who
those people are, what happened in there childhoods that makes them who
they are today, how what happens in the game, to them and the world in
general, Affects them Emotionally, what personality "quirks" they may
have, etc, and then, and ONLY then do you work on creating all the
spectacular effects and graphical eye candy. that is the correct way,
IMO, to make a game.
I can attest to this. Currently working on a project that revolves around story and the environment and it's a LOT easier if you do it this way. An Addendum would be that you could try to create a dynamic between the player and another character. Not just on a superficial level. Have the character be involved in the gameplay and the world, reinforce the idea that each of them have their backs and work through everything. If done properly, the player could create an emotional attachment. That's when you could have something truly memorable. At least, that's the theory that I'm working under, so I hope I'm right!

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2012, 02:32 AM by Ghieri.)
09-04-2012, 02:32 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Developers underestimate the power of the heartstring-tugger. They focus an aawwwful lot on tugging on your nerves instead.

[Image: signature-2.png]
09-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-04-2012, 02:32 AM)Aldighieri Wrote: I can attest to this. Currently working on a project that revolves around story and the environment and it's a LOT easier if you do it this way. An Addendum would be that you could try to create a dynamic between the player and another character. Not just on a superficial level. Have the character be involved in the gameplay and the world, reinforce the idea that each of them have their backs and work through everything. If done properly, the player could create an emotional attachment. That's when you could have something truly memorable. At least, that's the theory that I'm working under, so I hope I'm right!
Something similar has been done before in IB with Gary, and it works SPLENDID! Good luck with what you're trying to do too Smile

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-04-2012, 06:28 AM
Find
kalasrobin Offline

Threads: 0

To everyone who is complaining about the story:

Have you tried playing on Hard? Because it gives you a completely different story and ending, as well as alternative map design. The so called "good ending".
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2012, 06:32 PM by kalasrobin.)
09-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(09-30-2012, 06:31 PM)kalasrobin Wrote: Have you tried playing on Hard?
I did that. Yup, hardcore mode! Totally different scenario. Mentioned in dev blog.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-30-2012, 06:31 PM)kalasrobin Wrote: Have you tried playing on Hard? Because it gives you a completely different story and ending, as well as alternative map design. The so called "good ending".
I commented on this earlier:

Kreekakon Wrote:I felt like the ending was especially anti-climatic. That's my least favorite part of the mod. I'm not sure if the alternate ending would change my mind, but I think that's irrelevant. I think a good game should be able to draw a satisfactory point at the end of your first play-through, much like how you should feel after you've watch a movie for the first time at the theater. In here, the game just cuts off at the end. No nothing. it just leaves me with a blank feeling, and that's not a good thing.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Find