Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to rename .dae?
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
How to rename .dae?

For some reason, every time I rename my .dae to something else different than the same name as the .dds, .mat and .msh files of that exact same entity, the entity disappears in the model editor. I've tried it the other way around - renaming the .dae last, basically, and the mesh still disappears in the model editor.

Anyone know how to fix?

[Image: p229xcq]
08-29-2012, 02:40 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: How to rename .dae?

Disappears how? When you try to open the ENT file?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-29-2012, 03:58 AM
Website Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Opening up the .ent in the model editor, the model isn't there. Blank space. Completely missing.

08-29-2012, 04:41 AM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

The .ent file is looking for the previous .dae file. Re-import your .dae, and save your .ent.

08-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Exactly what I did. Still blank space.

It's like the .dae file became nothingness when it got renamed.

08-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

If you draw a selection over the grid, does it select the mesh but it is invisible? Or is the mesh completely missing?
08-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

I think the reason all this is happening is because I'm using a create-your-own-painting toolkit and actually have little knowledge of the connection between the .dae, .dds, .msh. and .mat. Is there a tutorial on frictional games wiki? I can't seem to find it....

Originally my .ent file used the file "CustomPainting.dae". After renaming all of the "CustomPainting"s to something else and switching the .dae file to the renamed .dae, I get the message "WARNING: Could not load mesh for this .dae" upon starting up the .ent in the model editor

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012, 07:17 PM by Froge.)
08-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Quick tips:

.dae = The model. Includes mesh and bones/joints.

.ent = Contains a model, but creates variables for said model so that it may be a working object within the world. With out a .ent, a model becomes static. (which is what you find in static_objects, obviously). Variables include animations, physics, weight, if it is an item, a leveldoor, a swingdoor, moveobject, lamp, etc. Also holds lights, billboards, and particle systems.

.dds = (Direct Draw Surface) An image filetype good for games as it supports cubemaps (skyboxes for example), and mipmaps, which are used to optimize draw distance of the image. The further you are away from the model/surface, the lower quality the image gets for performance.

.mat = Material. It holds the directory of all images to make a desired surface on a model. If the .mat is not the same name as the .dds/texture, it will cause issues. It CAN however, be a different name than the model. Material files usually hold things such as the diffuse, specular, and normal textures, and more.

.msh = Not sure what exactly this stupid thing does, but it creates automatically when a model is loaded in ModelView (MAYBE ModelEditor as well. Not sure) which leads me to believe that it is a file used to make a .dae USEABLE in HPL.

As for your issue, do these steps if you want to keep a new name:

-- After renaming everything --
1) Delete the .mat (this will save you time later).
2) Open the .dae in Notepad(++ if you have it)
3) Press Ctrl+F and search "library_images" - no quotations
4) In the directory underneath, at the end, change the name of the .dds to what you changed it to.
5) Save and overwrite the new one.
6) Open the .dae (NOT THE .ent) in ModelView. It will generate a .mat for you automatically and it should load up.
7) Close ModelView and open ModelEditor.
8) Open the renamed .ent and go to file>import mesh.
9) Locate your renamed .dae and attach the body to the mesh.
10) Save and you're good to go!
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012, 07:56 PM by Statyk.)
08-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

It totally worked. Awesome and thank you.

08-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(08-29-2012, 07:49 PM)Statyk Wrote: .msh = Not sure what exactly this stupid thing does, but it creates automatically when a model is loaded in ModelView (MAYBE ModelEditor as well. Not sure) which leads me to believe that it is a file used to make a .dae USEABLE in HPL.

MSH files are to DAE files as MAP_CACHE files are to MAP files.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-30-2012, 01:16 AM
Website Find