Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

It Would Work
sid Offline

Threads: 1
RE: It Would Work

Lol just don't say it twice or Uwe Boll will come and make another shitty movie inspired by games! Smile
03-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Threads: 4

sid Wrote:Lol just don't say it twice or Uwe Boll will come and make another shitty movie inspired by games! Smile
Penumbra by Uwe Boll? Please... not... why do you even mention it? Sad

The people who made Andromeda (The movie about that alien lifeform which turns blood to dust) could pull it off I guess, at least they got a pretty good atmosphere in Andromeda.

Megatron - proving that guns DO kill people since 1984
03-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

What's Uwe Boll done? Never heard the name. I would have remembered it. Boll is ball in Swedish, making Uwe Boll sound quuuite ridicolous.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
03-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Kedjane Wrote:What's Uwe Boll done? Never heard the name. I would have remembered it. Boll is ball in Swedish, making Uwe Boll sound quuuite ridicolous.
He's a German producer/director/idiot who makes bad movies about good games.
He did Alone In The Dark, Bloodrayne, some Dungeon Siege movie, and according to imdb he is now about to ruin Far Cry (Never really liked the game, but the movie looks FAR worse, judging from the trailer), and give poor old Rayne a third bad appearance.

03-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

Thaliur Wrote:
Kedjane Wrote:What's Uwe Boll done? Never heard the name. I would have remembered it. Boll is ball in Swedish, making Uwe Boll sound quuuite ridicolous.
He's a German producer/director/idiot who makes bad movies about good games.
He did Alone In The Dark, Bloodrayne, some Dungeon Siege movie, and according to imdb he is now about to ruin Far Cry (Never really liked the game, but the movie looks FAR worse, judging from the trailer), and give poor old Rayne a third bad appearance.
Haha. German producer/director/idiot. Nice title.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
03-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

Too bad Ingmar Bergman isn't alive and doing films. He and maybe Stanley Kubrick and really the only two directors I'd trust in making Penumbra. Almost any hollywood director would turn it into something sour.

For fun, I had thought about how Penumbra would be if it was a movie.
My own opinion (very rough draft; sort of quick. short version)

At the funeral where his mother is being buried. At the house, he talks with some relatives; maybe some about his father. His fiancee comes in late; apologizes for it. they may talk some and then another scene comes. possibly getting the package/letter from his so called dead father.
this sets both Philip and his fiancee (whom I call Anna) out to Greenland. Once they find the hatch and crawl down, the ladder breaks.
From this very moment to the end of the entire story, there is no more video of the outside world. ONLY the caves/shelter. this gives us the ultimate feeling of being trapped.
First (or couple) night, they head off to bed; only to find out that Anna is missing when he wakes up.
Again, vital; we no longer hear from her or see her. We don't see what her status is, where she is, NOTHING.
It's now Philip, no one else; until at some point, Red comes into the picture (audio actually); when Philips picks up the walkie talkier/com radio.
some hallucinations occur. Philip is obviously trapped, reading some letters, hearing Red talk about whatever, trying to find Anna.

I'd figure the start (before hitting the caves) could last maybe 30 or so minutes into it. Obviously, I haven't thought too much of it; being it's only for fun; but if you could imagine an Ingmar Bergman film; it may be a great film.
03-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Your script doesn't sound too bad, but Philip never mentioned a fiancé (though this is no reason to believe there is none), and since he's already looking for his father, there is really no need to make it a "rescue the helpless and dependent woman" story.
I have nothing against women in movies, but the same thing happened to The First Men In The Moon, The War Of The Worlds, and - in the remade version - to The Time Machine. I think altering a plot like this takes a lot of the attention away from the actual plot.

03-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

some things have to be added or changed to make it into a movie. that's my belief anyway. Look at Stephen Kings "Shining". The 4 or 5 hour movie that he did, to me anyway, was horrible. It was done by the book, literally.
I understand what you mean about having girls in some movies. maybe you see it differently, but I get tired of these romantic/sensual/love making stuff in action/suspense movies. It's suppose to be some guy flick sort of film, and all that romance takes it away.
this story I had just written out in the post doesn't really have that; and she isn't in the story throughout.

It would be hard to make it as a movie, but if it were done; something like what I said; about making you feel trapped in there; you can't see the outside world at all; unless it may be some hallucination.
03-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Find
Sepai Offline

Threads: 10

The way i see it you could do the story in few ways

1 The start of the game Howard's story
2 the game with modification to make watchable
3 Following after the game finish

Spoiler below!
would be OK to do but we know the ending Howard killing him self or leaving the audience thinking he made know one else come down to the mine etc.

2 can be done to a good movie but changes will have to be made and most likely leave a bad taste in my mouth for the movie for having to make some changes

Spoiler below!
well this one will be better since Hollywood can have their action flick exterminating the hive based on co-ordnance sent by Philip that will have the audience discovering what happened. While us players having a nostalgic feel hearing when they discover what happened similar to the game (especially if they find Philip) You can have some one in the sect with his own mission different to the assault team that leads them to disaster make it a a survival gun running horror to the hive mind

any way that is the way I look at how any move based on it can go
number 3 feels the best to me
03-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Find
Petike Offline

Threads: 35

Thaliur Wrote:I'd definitely watch a Penumbra movie if there was one. But I think there is too little dialogue in the game to just transfer it on the "big screen". A lot of the story details would have to be changed.
Also, games live from interactivity, and what feels awesome in a game might be just boring in a movie, but I think if the storyline was adapted for movie use, it would work.

Hm, good point on that... But how about the technique of inner monologues ? You know : The camera catches the protagonist, he usualy doesn't speak aloud at all, but there is a voiceover of his, which unfolds his immediate thoughts to the viewers... What do you think ? Would that work (if it wouldn't be overused) ?

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
04-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Find