Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

should i get penumbra if amnesia scared the sh*t out of me?
Gimgamink Offline

Threads: 1
should i get penumbra if amnesia scared the sh*t out of me?

I recently finished amnesia, and it scared the sh*t out of me, specifically the torture rooms near the end of the game, and i want to get penumbra overture. But i just wanna know, does penumbra overture have anything scary or disturbing as the torture rooms in amnesiaHuh
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2012, 07:06 PM by Gimgamink.)
08-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5
RE: should i get penumbra if amnesia scared the sh*t out of me?

Trust me, Penumbra will also scare the shit out of you. And for 5$ on Steam, you won't do anything wrong.

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
08-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Find
Gimgamink Offline

Threads: 1

(08-30-2012, 07:09 PM)johnbox Wrote: Trust me, Penumbra will also scare the shit out of you. And for 5$ on Steam, you won't do anything wrong.
Sweet, all i needed to know. thanks bro
08-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Overture then Black Plague. Get Requiem if you like puzzles and feel like you need closure for the trilogy's story.

I rate it 3 memes.
08-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

Nah, buy Duke Nukem Forever instead.

Kidding.

Buy all three of them, you won't be dissapointed.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2012, 07:15 PM by CorinthianMerchant.)
08-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

disappointed.* Also yes, after I finished Amnesia I beat penumbra and 'twas excellent.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2012, 07:56 PM by Damascus Rose.)
08-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I still shudder when I think of Penumbra. Amnesia may have been more atmospherically scary and perhaps more focused in its horror but my mind goes to a dark place when I even think of doing some of the sections in Penumbra again. It's difficult to explain. I didn't die all that often in Penumbra (just as often as in Amnesia I guess) but the majority of the game is just so stressful and succeeding felt more luck-based than skill-based.

Spoiler below!
Examples:

Distracting the Tuurngait in the lever room. Makes my blood curdle just thinking about it.

Running past all the infected at the end of the game when Clarence makes your head cave in on itself (or whatever). Also after you put all the chemicals into the machine and Clarence is resurrected and you have to flee.

Spiders - Need I say more?

Killing the infected/Amabel

Dr. Eminiss

I have tons of other examples but these are ones that stick in my mind. I just get a profound feeling of anxiety and stress when I think about these parts. Not that Amnesia is totally devoid of parts like these but after you've played it and know where all the enemies are going to be avoiding them is fairly easy. Penumbra on the other hand often places you uncomfortably close to the enemies.
08-31-2012, 12:33 AM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

(08-31-2012, 12:33 AM)Bridge Wrote: I still shudder when I think of Penumbra. Amnesia may have been more atmospherically scary and perhaps more focused in its horror but my mind goes to a dark place when I even think of doing some of the sections in Penumbra again. It's difficult to explain. I didn't die all that often in Penumbra (just as often as in Amnesia I guess) but the majority of the game is just so stressful and succeeding felt more luck-based than skill-based.

Spoiler below!
Examples:

Distracting the Tuurngait in the lever room. Makes my blood curdle just thinking about it.

Running past all the infected at the end of the game when Clarence makes your head cave in on itself (or whatever). Also after you put all the chemicals into the machine and Clarence is resurrected and you have to flee.

Spiders - Need I say more?

Killing the infected/Amabel

Dr. Eminiss

I have tons of other examples but these are ones that stick in my mind. I just get a profound feeling of anxiety and stress when I think about these parts. Not that Amnesia is totally devoid of parts like these but after you've played it and know where all the enemies are going to be avoiding them is fairly easy. Penumbra on the other hand often places you uncomfortably close to the enemies.
Doctor.
Fucking.
Eminess.

God, that guy creeped me out.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
08-31-2012, 12:42 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(08-31-2012, 12:42 AM)Zaffre Wrote: Doctor.
F*cking.
Eminess.

God, that guy creeped me out.
He sounded like a nice guy. That is, until he said "bring me a saw". That part made me think he wasn't himself.
And when he said something about "dinosaur extinction", I cracked up. Not even 2 minutes passed, and I didn't even know where that phrase came from.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Website Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Should you get it: Yes.
Does it have disturbing stuff: Not really.

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2012, 12:45 PM by Yuhaney.)
09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Website Find