Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Black Mesa Source - Red Letter Day
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Black Mesa Source - Red Letter Day

About damn time they finish this XD It's been in development for like six years now!
09-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Find
Kazakarumariou Away
An angry man.

Threads: 8

There's an annotation that says "my balls smell like pickles" in that video O.o
09-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

have they kept the gameplay the same?, or have they modernised it?,

ive always wanted to see the original Half Life redone on a more potent engine, even in its time, GLDSRC was sadly less than spectacular owing to its Quake 1 origins.

ive been looking forward to black mesa, the best game of all time, redone with modern day graphics, so you can really appreciate its iconic art direction, but,. as none of its videos have shown a HUD, ive been getting more than a little panicky that they might have "call of duty- ised" the gameplay, especially seeing the Holo-site on the MP5 (hmm, shouldnt they have kept the M16 A3 from the HD pack? the Mp5 A3 is way to small to fit an M203, so the one in Half Life felt like a real misnomer!) .... so, is black mesa still using the right gameplay for half life? or have they gone and messed it up with modern mechanics?
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012, 07:51 PM by the dark side.)
09-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

What is this?

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
09-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Thanks Robosprog. i quess i should have put "the best FPS of all time in my opinion" , sorry about that.

The Crosshairs Are still Fixed i hope,? or can be set to fixed? the addition of ADS normally means expanding hairs, and if the game has got them, i am going to have to stick to the classic version (like i said, expanding ones make me sick). sorry to be a pain in the A**e here, but ive really been looking forward to Black Mesa, i would be devestated to find i wont be able to play it because the developers got stupid after 3 years of waiting.

we need more games like the original Half Life again, the gameplay that made games like DOOM and Quake so great, mixed in with a Proper Story and some pretty complex puzzles, so simple, yet sheer genious.

Hmm, perhaps if this mod gets a good amount of download it may show the industry the "classic" FPS is still viable. or at least convince valve to start making Half Life 3!
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012, 08:26 PM by the dark side.)
09-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

So this is basically a Half-Life remake?

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
09-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

yes, it is a total remake of The original Half Life on the Latest Build of Valves Source Engine. its a FREE remake as well, its been made for the Love of the original half life, rather than as a cynical excersise in ripping of peoples nostalgia (effin nu-goldeneye... terrible game!.) been in development goodness knows how long now.
09-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

I didnt know that, i thaught they had decided to just settle down to continually remaking Counter Strike and launching the odd puzzler. well, i dont mind if they keep restarting, Half Life 3 cant really come out now anyway, as it, being valve, will doubtless be very old fashioned, so the people at IGN and co wouls probably massacre it, perhaps its better if it stays "black" for a few more years, let tastes change back. i must admit, i do agree its better to keep working, even restarting, until youve got something perfect that is true to the Half Life Name.

fixed hairs? thank heavens for that!, thanks robosprog, i can go back to looking forward to Black Mesa Now Smile. be great to see Half Life as Valve probably originally imagined it.
09-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

dont worry, i dont listen to IGN, i call them the "ignorant gamers network", i only use "The Cynical Brit", ArsTechnica and Wired for reviews, and sometimes i use The Escapist when i want a laugh ("zero punctuation" often has me in stitches), as they have similar "old fashioned" tastes to me, Especially Cynicals "TotalBiscuit" and "TotalHalibut" (they of the "W-T-F is.." Reviews), so i know im probably going to enjoy the games they enjoy and give good reviews to, instead of wondering "how the fuji did THIS get a good review! its just clone of "insert modern AAA casual game here" ported from console!" wich is what i often feel with more "mainstream" sites like Gamespot, IGN, 4 gamers, etc, why i stopped using them ages ago.

Sadly, it seems Most players, especially younger and casual players, do listen to Ignorant, it also seems the megapublishers seem to care more about there IGN and metacritic scores than they do about making good games, probably because they want the causal/young, Audience, depsite the flagging sales numbers of casual AAA titles lately. we know EA for example loves IGN reviews, why else post up the 90%% they gave to the excreable Hot Pursuit 2010 on Every...single...Not-NFS...Trailer.

indeed, thats what i like about valve, they know most PC players and there legions of fans (Myself included, i got my Half life 1 on its UK Launch Day! it still works too, wich is awesome, in HD pack form though, as i got the Gearbox addons as well when they came out) like a proper "old school" game, (probably why counter strike: global ops didnt get modernised), in fact, i seem to remember Newell writing an artical on "why AAA games are bad for gamers and the games industry" at some point.. have to see if i can find it.

ill just have to keep waiting for HL3 then, safe in the knowledge it will be perfectly made, beautifully plotted with a great storyline (HL2 EP2 is "one of the five"), old fashioned in style, and everything i love in a game.

Black Mesa should help tide me over...

thats another great thing about valve, not only do they Like to have people mod there games, they even Host the mods on steam! great guys!

only 11 days. feels like 11 centuries doesnt it? -
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012, 09:21 PM by the dark side.)
09-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Find