Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.88 Average
The Subconscious Trials
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
The Subconscious Trials

The Subconscious Trials

Well, I figured since I haven't mentioned this thing in ages I might as well make a thread for it* to see what you guys think. Anywho, this is my project that I've been working on for a little over a year now (note, I wouldn't really say it's a full years worth of work considering there's large chunks of time where little is done due to lack of inspiration/interesting in it, plus the fact that all the stuff that was made in the first 6-7 months was pretty much scrapped due to it being absolute shit). Before you ask, I currently have no release date planned and I don't plan on making one anytime soon, cause I've gotten that wrong so many times it's not even funny anymore. It'll be done when it's done. BUT, with that said here's a little bit of background on it.

Story:

Spoiler below!

It's the year 2028. The United States is currently in a state of despair, the economy is at an all time low, and with the population growing out of control it's a struggle for people to survive day in and day out. People line the city streets, begging for money that no one has to spare.

The player takes the roll of Alan Torrence, a middle aged man trying to make enough money every week to support his family and barely getting by. It'd be obvious to anyone that a life like this could never last long, and as starvation starts to catch up to him and his family, a miracle happens. He gets a call one night, it's unknown who's on the other end but the stranger offers him a deal. He claims to have been in development of a new experimental drug called DC02 for the last few months, and it has reached a stage in its development where human trials would be necessary. Though, due to unpredictable side effects of the drug, he's willing to pay you 50,000$ for your participation. Of course, you accept immediately. Then, late one night a few days later, you get another call from the man, who gives you the address of the testing facility and tells you to come immediately.

Once you arrive, the effect of the drug is explained to you. It heightens the control of the user's subconscious mind for a few hours while they're incapacitated, while simultaneously numbing their conscious mind. The effect, the user will experience a dream state where they are in total control of what happens, not only that, but all of the users senses will be active during this time also. It basically lets people live out their ideal life in their head, letting them experience the dreams that would never be true. Not only that, but it can be used for more important uses too. Due to the drug simulating real life to a tee, experiments could be conducted that would never be possible in real life due to restrictions of the real world, people could act out decisions in their head and see how it would pan out in real life, the list goes on. It had the potential to solve the world's problems.

Tests begin, they seem normal enough at first. Simple puzzles to make sure that the brain could still function properly while under the influence of the drug. But the farther Alan gets into the tests, they seem to be getting very morbid. As the dark past behind these tests begin to unravel, he begins to realize what a mistake it had been entering them, and the only way out is forward...

That's just a quick summary I decided to type up, there's much more to it that has yet to be revealed.

Screenshots:

Spoiler below!
[Image: Screen_Shot_2012-07-07_at_7.58.35_AM.png]
Spoiler below!

[Image: Screen_Shot_2012-03-28_at_5.32.55_PM.png]
Spoiler below!

[Image: EdMFk.jpg]
Spoiler below!

[Image: Fvqd1.jpg]

Currently I'm working on this with two other people, TriadTimes and Kurton. I'm doing all the mapping and the story, while Triad is scripting the maps and Kurton is making music for them (yes it's going to have a completely original soundtrack). Here's a little sample of what you can expect from the soundtrack, this is the main theme for the mod.

Anyways, if you have any feedback or suggestions I'd be happy to hear!

*I DID make a thread for it when I originally started the project, but the OP looked so terrible that I didn't want to bump it anymore because I didn't think it accurately represented the quality of the mod, so instead I had Traggey delete that one and just decided to start a new one.

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2014, 03:58 AM by Kman.)
09-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Website Find
triadtimes Offline

Threads: 16
RE: The Subconscious Trials

I hear the voice acting is pretty gay.

Edit: Also, from what I've worked on (and I've only worked with The Subconscious Trials for a little while) it's pretty fuckin' awesome.

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2012, 01:27 AM by triadtimes.)
09-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Why you no learn scripting? On a more serious note the first screenshot looks really interesting.

Good luck & keep on working Smile

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

09-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Those little huts you put on the landings of the stairs in that library are very imaginative! Nice work. Smile

[Image: signature-2.png]
09-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Solid story, some impressive screens and that song by Kurton sounds pretty cool.

I rate it 3 memes.
09-06-2012, 02:23 AM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64

Can't wait this one pictures looks interesting and exciting. Good luck!

“Life is a game, play it”
09-06-2012, 02:58 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Holy fuck, actually, I just noticed this is being made by kman, well after I initially posted. I am actually very excited for this, now.

[Image: signature-2.png]
09-06-2012, 05:08 AM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

looks 10x better now than id did then; lookin forward to this one!

on a sidenote, have your screenshots be alittle brighter. imo, atmosphere presented through screenshots doesnt really work, but some tiny tweaking with the brightness of the boxlight/various pointlights could do a great deal when it comes to presenting what you've done. thats atleast my feedback on the matter. edit: my bad. saw those screens with a shit computer. they look fine!

good luck with this project!

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2012, 11:58 AM by Mine Turtle.)
09-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

Looks really awesome, Kman!

The soundtrack is amazing as well!!!

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2012, 09:42 AM by CorinthianMerchant.)
09-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Find
Dutton Offline

Threads: 3

Most impressive screenshots. it draws me to play the story! will get to it right after work!

EDIT: When released... didn't realise that :p

[Image: 15isy6C]
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2012, 09:58 AM by Dutton.)
09-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Find