Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light leaking through walls
JPiiONEFOURONE Offline

Threads: 4
Light leaking through walls

Hey guys,

I was just wondering, is there a way I can stop light from leaking through walls (and floors)?

I have a well lit room, and the room next door is supposed to be really dark, but the light is coming through the wall and making it too bright.

Thanks,

JPiiONEFOURONE
09-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Light leaking through walls

I'd recommend you play around with the lights, and their settings, as with most lights you are able to adjust their size, and how far they go. Also take care when putting light sources to make sure that it won't cause a leak.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2012, 09:17 AM by Kreekakon.)
09-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10

Yeah - make sure spherical lights don't cross to the other room; rearrange them and/or increase their number slightly if the first room ends up being too dark. You can also try using a box light to control the overall illumination level and light tone of the first room, if it's possible to place it in a way that doesn't affect the other room. Also, you can create some ambient light effects by moving a large spherical light up (even above the ceiling), so that it affects a smaller area, with relatively smooth illumination, or use smaller, similarly colored, but a lot darker lights as fill lights for corners and such.

Alternatively, I think you could (at least in theory) turn on shadow casting for the lights close to the wall near the dark room, but it is possible that this could have some performance penalty, so try to avoid that approach.
09-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Find
JPiiONEFOURONE Offline

Threads: 4

Thanks everyone, I have replaced my lighting with ambient box lights that fill the room, with small point lights illuminating the ceiling and floor above and below the lamps for a realistic effect, I have also added a box light with a very low brightness (0.01F) that covers the entire building, so it isn't too dark in some rooms.
09-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Also a very good way to make realistic lighting is:
1: To have a source of lighting which is lighting up around it, but not the whole room.
2: Have darker point lights (in the same color, say lightsource = yellow. Dark pointlights = dark red or brown)... This makes it feel like the light is fading out.

In some custom stories, people just place a light-entity (like a candle) and then does nothing to it... It looks very unrealistic that the light is just stopping in a sphere around the candle..

Trying is the first step to success.
09-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Find
EXAWOLT Offline

Threads: 14

or you can set a FOG area at the dark room and turn it black and set to almost full "darkness"

simply nuff said

09-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(09-06-2012, 06:43 PM)EXAWOLT Wrote: or you can set a FOG area at the dark room and turn it black and set to almost full "darkness"
I don't think that might work. If you'd go to the wall where the light is "leaking" through, you'd still see the light, but only if you'd be close to the wall. From a distance that wouldn't be visible.

I dunno, but that is kind of how it would come out (would need to test it to be certain).

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Website Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Never place a pointlight close to a wall unless:
1. There is nothing behind it.
2. The light on the other side of the wall is the same, and it looks realistic
3. if it is intended

Trying is the first step to success.
09-06-2012, 06:48 PM