Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question of textures
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
A question of textures

Hello everyone. Sincerely, I don't know where this should go, but I hope putting it in here will be right. If I've made a mistake, I'm sorry.

So... my CS will have a lot of new textures (and models). I was wondering, there is a map in my CS where there is lava. In the material editor if I put the texture as water, it is almost unseekable and if I put it translucid, it doesn't move (the lava should move).
My question is this one: Can I import a gif to the material editor? In another case, can a .dds be a gif?
PD: Where is the spoiler button? Huh

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
09-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: A question of textures

For lava you're going to need to put it as water. You can place local fog under the plane to make it more visible.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Website Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

I mean, the lava is a .dae. I've made an specifical shape for the lava river. The fog isn't a bad idea, though. I suppose that the fog should have a color.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
09-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

You can not import GIF.

You can however using the material editor animate normal diffuse materials, so go ahead and do that instead.
09-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Maybe you could also simply create a nice effect with the uv animation in the material editor? Lava isn't exactly translucent anyway and it doesn't really have waves and ripples like water either as it's much thicker and viscuous. So just make a cool glow, diffuse and normal map and have it scroll so it looks like its slowly flowing in the direction of the river. Of course the uv coordinates of your river mesh need to be laid out correctly in the direction of the scrolling or it will look weird. You could also make things like lavafalls with this kind of material....

Not sure, maybe it would look crappy but I'd at least try it out. Smile

Edit: Damn, ninja'd by Traggey. -.-
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2012, 02:31 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
09-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Well, it doesn't matter if you got ninja'd. Thanks everyone-by the moment i'll do what my computer says, but i will see if I can animate my dear lava.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
09-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Find