Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[Upcoming] Kreekakon's Art Tutorial Preperation Thread (Post suggestions here!)
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
[Upcoming] Kreekakon's Art Tutorial Preperation Thread (Post suggestions here!)

Hey there all, as you can see I've started posting my artwork here on the forums. I'd say that since the reception was so positive, coupled along with the fact that from what I see not many people are that familiar with traditional art, I was thinking of starting a tutorial session for all of you in the craft of pencil art.

So in this thread I'll say what I had in mind so far, and you guys can post suggestions of anything else you might want to see.

What I was thinking was separating the tutorial in chapters each talking about a phase in the drawing with picture to go with it. Chapter 1 would start with referencing, and the basic outlines of a picture; chapter 2 would be about the primary shading stage; chapter 3 would be about final touches, and detail additions; Finally chapter 4 would be a compilation of all tips, and general rules in the process of drawing.

^That's my basic idea up there. Here are some more questions for you guys to answer for me though:

1. Would you guys like to learn from me drawing a simple object (Sphere), or something more complicated (Like the Grunt)?
2. Would you guys like each chapter to be a separate thread, or all in one? I generally support all in one thread more as it clutters up the forums much less, but if some people think that that separate threads offer more focus, and the mods are okay with it, I can roll with that.
3. Do some people think a tutorial is not needed at all, and pointless lol?
4. Do you guys want to see a tutorial with black/white pencils, or colored pencils?

Ok so those are the basic questions I want to ask you guys before I can get this started. If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to throw them up here as well!

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2012, 09:55 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: [Upcoming] Kreekakon's Art Tutorial Preperation Thread (Post suggestions here!)

Ok then, time for answers ^^:

1. Personally, I'd like something more complicated actually as I already have a bit of foundation when it comes to art. something with poses or anatomy would be nice, too... so since you already made a grunt, you could do a brute or a suitor next. Or we could come up with another piggy concept ^^

2. I think one thread would work best. Its pretty chaotic here in the Off Topic section and it would be easier for people to find if it was just one thread.

Suggestions... hm. Maybe as an additional chapter, you could color the picture and give a little lesson on color use in general? Not sure if that fits your workflow though - it looks like you do either colored or graphite drawing but don't color them afterwards...?
09-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

RE: [Upcoming] Kreekakon's Art Tutorial Preperation Thread (Post suggestions here!)

Thanks for the reply :)
(09-09-2012, 09:48 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: 1. Personally, I'd like something more complicated actually as I already have a bit of foundation when it comes to art. something with poses or anatomy would be nice, too... so since you already made a grunt, you could do a brute or a suitor next. Or we could come up with another piggy concept ^^
Hmm maybe I could do that. Although I can't really fulfill your hopes about anatomy analysis though. I'm total crap at that. I'm mainly just a reference artist which means I draw from object, or pictures. I do not have the ability to draw something so complicated off the top of my head.

The reason I put simple out there as a suggestion is that I thought it might be easier for people to follow suit, and work along me while complicated things are harder to follow.

What do you think?

Quote:Suggestions... hm. Maybe as an additional chapter, you could color the picture and give a little lesson on color use in general? Not sure if that fits your workflow though - it looks like you do either colored or graphite drawing but don't color them afterwards...?
Yeah that's right. I decide if something will be colored, or black/white from the start. I cannot convert blac/white to color though afterward.

That brings up another question:

Do you guys want to see a tutorial with black/white pencils, or colored pencils?

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2012, 10:07 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

True, drawing anatomy is horribly hard! >.< I mean with a 3D character you need to know anatomy as well, but at least you don't have to worry about all the perspective stuff....
Also I think humans tend to be a lot more unforgiving when they look at a drawing of human anatomy than say, a plant or something and spot way more mistakes.

But we could still make screenshots of the Amnesia monsters and work from there. I also think black and white would be better for a start. One needs to know about shadows n stuff before one can throw colors around, right? Wink

In terms of complicated-ness (is that a word?) - maybe you could have a little chapter with the basics first and then explain how to apply them to a more complicated shape?
09-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(09-09-2012, 10:39 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: But we could still make screenshots of the Amnesia monsters and work from there. I also think black and white would be better for a start. One needs to know about shadows n stuff before one can throw colors around, right? Wink
Not as complicated as you might think. The base principles are the same as black/white, even more so since I draw from reference. Color pencil only have a few extra points you need to watch for.

Also, I just realized. Black/white might be the best for now as most people won't have color pencils to practice with if they wanted to D:

Quote:In terms of complicated-ness (is that a word?) - maybe you could have a little chapter with the basics first and then explain how to apply them to a more complicated shape?

Hmm...yeah maybe I could do that. I could start with an introductory chapter with a simple shape severing as a table of contents, and as a preview of the steps that will follow.

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2012, 10:51 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Find