Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

"The Legend" (A horror game like Slender)
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: "The Legend" (A horror game like Slender)

(09-09-2012, 05:39 PM)andyrockin123 Wrote: I see what you're saying, but why would anyone openly choose a version that's clearly inferior? Even if it's nothing new/original, improvements are improvements. You have to take it at face-value, it's nothing more than a Slender v2.0. Based on what I've seen, I'd much rather play this one than the original.

Nintendo's Mario franchise does a similar thing. There is no new content, just improved graphics and smoother game play, and Nintendo still gets everyone to buy their "new" game and turns a massive profit. Even though all of the games are pretty much the same, any gamer (not influenced by Nostalgia) would pick the newest game because it is the most polished, and most likely the definitive version of its franchise.
You make some excellent points, this game looks better and looks as if it has more potential. But I don't think it's fair that these developers should make a game more popular than Slender when they are simply copying their original idea. (Although I have seen this concept before in "Hide", without slenderman though)

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
09-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Something I actually find sad about creative ideas is that if someone does it first, and does it poorly, or mediocre, even if someone else was to make a better version of the idea many people would regard the newer better product as copying.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(09-09-2012, 05:44 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: You make some excellent points, this game looks better and looks as if it has more potential. But I don't think it's fair that these developers should make a game more popular than Slender when they are simply copying their original idea. (Although I have seen this concept before in "Hide", without slenderman though)
I definitely agree that they shouldn't just rip off the original game, but then again, no one can own Slender Man; he's just a meme. With that said though, they should of at least come up with a new element to center the whole game around instead of picking up notes (which I felt didn't even turn out good for the original game).

The idea of a creepy humanoid forest dweller with no face could be turned into a marvelous horror game, but the Slender devs decided to turn it into a 2d platformer without platforms, and those sons of bitches even added an extra dimension. I honestly don't see why anyone would actually copy that as a plot/primary mechanic for their horror game. Originality - How does it work?

I rate it 3 memes.
09-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Ok I get what you're saying about improving it Andy, but do we seriously need another goddamn forest trash man simulator?! Sure one or two are fine, but I just want you to go to YouTube and do some searching around. As it is now I've seen about 10 or so (probably more) games with the exact same gameplay mechanic that look just as crappy as the original. My question is, why can't someone make an actual full length game with him? Why do they all have to be little 2-20 minute mini games? Slenderman has a looooot of potential to work vey well in a game (I actually started working on a custom story that involved him ages ago that I never finished), but instead everyone has to just be all "LOLOL NOTES".

Posting Freak
09-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Well, they did say that they did have a "take" on their slender they're not revealing yet. It could very well simply be a purely visual enhancement, but if it isn't just that I'm interested to see what they do with him, and if it alters the gameplay in any way.

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2012, 08:36 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(09-09-2012, 08:28 PM)Kman Wrote: My question is, why can't someone make an actual full length game with him? Why do they all have to be little 2-20 minute mini games?
There's not much story to Slender. Until some genuinely creative/not lazy people take interest in making a story for it, there's no much more devs can do than make mini-games/forest simulators. I honestly thinks it works based on the little information there is, but if someone made a bad back story for it, it could really ruin everything.

I agree on how bad the game mechanics for Slendy games are; it's like Banjo Kazooie without a bear, bird, or any fun/interesting elements. You collect pointless objects and are rewarded with static on your screen and a super low res/poly model of Slenderman. At the very least, the devs could have made an intro cinematic or something to justify the actions of the player. A goal without any proper justification is just confusing and pointless.

I rate it 3 memes.
09-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

Too many god damn Slender games. Ever since Slender was successful like eighty more have been made. And by idiots at times. There was one where it's set in the 1800s, and you have an iPhone as a flashlight >_>

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(09-09-2012, 05:47 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Something I actually find sad about creative ideas is that if someone does it first, and does it poorly, or mediocre, even if someone else was to make a better version of the idea many people would regard the newer better product as copying.
All that is evident in this game is that the graphics have been improved, if someone actually does try to improve the actual game in any way I'd welcome that. But this has no originality.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
09-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(09-09-2012, 09:44 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: All that is evident in this game is that the graphics have been improved, if someone actually does try to improve the actual game in any way I'd welcome that. But this has no originality.
That post by me was actually talking more in general than about this new game.

Also, like I said earlier I'll be suspending my disbelief for this game's credibility at least until they reveal what exactly that "take" on Slender is. If it's just visuals, I'd be very disappointed.

Image by BandyGrass
09-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Find
Araqui Offline

Threads: 0

Here's a compilation of all the slender games so far, and a couple clones, 18 in all.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/91702568/Slenderman.torrent

Coming soon:

Slender:Arrival December,31,2012
Slender:Source 1st Quarter 2013
The Legend May not come out has ceased developement
SlenderMan's Shadow Says coming soon, I'm hoping within the month
The Huntsman:Orphanage Unknown date.
Faceless Sometime in the 1st half of next year.

Cool Hope this helps
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2012, 04:13 AM by Araqui.)
12-12-2012, 04:05 AM
Website Find