Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What new features would you add in a non-Amnesia Frictional Games Adventure?
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
RE: What new features would you add in a non-Amnesia Frictional Games Adventure?

(09-09-2012, 09:49 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 09:45 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: I thought the same thing with White Night.
Maybe, but the voice acting in White Night just isn't that great at all. It's actually quite bad. Bad voice acting can actually work backwards sometimes for a feature like this in my opinion.
Good point. While I haven't played White Night Mod, a bad voice would upset the mood of the gameplay.
09-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
RE: What new features would you add in a non-Amnesia Frictional Games Adventure?

Feature 1 is already in Amnesia TDD. You don't have to hit tab and look at the meter - you can easily tell by the following...
  • If the sanity is low Daniel will begin to hear voices (of people in pain/agony)
  • Paintings will appear differently
  • Screen effects will make your vision much less clear than normal

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2012, 10:06 PM by darkely.)
09-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-09-2012, 10:02 PM)darkely Wrote: Feature 1 is already in Amnesia TDD. You don't have to hit tab and look at the meter - you can easily tell by the following...
  • If the sanity is low Daniel will begin to here voices (of people in pain/agony)
That's not what he meant. What he meant was for varied sanity drops, meaning more disturbing happening/enemies would cause sanity to drop faster than the more tame ones.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2012, 10:05 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-09-2012, 10:02 PM)darkely Wrote: Feature 1 is already in Amnesia TDD. You don't have to hit tab and look at the meter - you can easily tell by the following...
  • If the sanity is low Daniel will begin to here voices (of people in pain/agony)
That's more of having a sanity meter, Feature 1 was how much your sanity dropped based on the monster/event you saw.
09-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

Any way the one thing I want to see in the new game is more motion blur.

09-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

Feature 13(?): Have things that psyche you out, i.e. you think you see something in a dark corner but it turns out to be something ordinary, like a fan.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-09-2012, 10:08 PM)darkely Wrote: Any way the one thing I want to see in the new game is more motion blur.
That would be good. It can be for both when you are moving/falling fast and when you get more and more insane.

(09-09-2012, 10:10 PM)Zaffre Wrote: Feature 13(?): Have things that psyche you out, i.e. you think you see something in a dark corner but it turns out to be something ordinary, like a fan.
That would be very good to have! It would certainly freak people out and keep them on their toes.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2012, 10:11 PM by The Rock Worm.)
09-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote:Feature 4--Smarter Monsters: You as the player can outsmart/outrun monsters you encounter. Even the Brutes/Grunts, while physically tough, are a bit stupid. Now imagine a few monsters smart enough to set traps for you! Even mimicking a person's voice to draw you in! You moving objects to hide you or barricade a door is a smart move for you, so imagine if a monster could lock you in where it wanted you! Now not all of them would be very smart, only a few. We don't want you to expect a trap coming.
[Image: Raisins_Face.jpg]

Seriously...that would haunt my nightmares forever due to the sheer paranoia and nightmare fuel that would provide...good god, you sir are of the devil for such a TERRIFYINGLY GOOD IDEA...you deserve a cookie
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2012, 06:51 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
09-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Website Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Ah if only AI wasn't so hard to do... I mean c'mon, graphics and physics and whatnot have been improving like crazy the whole time but most enemies in games haven't gotten past the point of see player > attack player yet. If an NPC soldier ducks into cover or tries to flank you, that's already the best you'll get in most games nowadays...
So yeah, I'm all for AI innovation.

Also as for a feature I'd like to see a more open world. This has to be treated carefully of course, because the more open the world is, the harder it gets to "stage" cool stuff (like monster encounters) and get a proper dramatic pacing into the game.
On the other hand it would make for a more organic experience and it would work well with that whole thing of making the player come up with his own motivations that I like so much. If we take Rockworms setting from the first post for example, let's say you could explore the whole university. Now it is up to you - do you try to find a way out? (Smash a window, look for keys, try to find a phone and call for help maybe?) Or do you want to find out what happened? (Look for evidence, follow the trail of blood into the cellar?)
The thing is, I wouldn't want this to play out like a choose your path adventure, it should more feel like a world you can interact with. So maybe this setting wouldn't be optimal for that, as it seems very plot-driven.
09-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-11-2012, 12:29 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Ah if only AI wasn't so hard to do... I mean c'mon, graphics and physics and whatnot have been improving like crazy the whole time but most enemies in games haven't gotten past the point of see player > attack player yet. If an NPC soldier ducks into cover or tries to flank you, that's already the best you'll get in most games nowadays...
So yeah, I'm all for AI innovation.

Also as for a feature I'd like to see a more open world. This has to be treated carefully of course, because the more open the world is, the harder it gets to "stage" cool stuff (like monster encounters) and get a proper dramatic pacing into the game.
On the other hand it would make for a more organic experience and it would work well with that whole thing of making the player come up with his own motivations that I like so much. If we take Rockworms setting from the first post for example, let's say you could explore the whole university. Now it is up to you - do you try to find a way out? (Smash a window, look for keys, try to find a phone and call for help maybe?) Or do you want to find out what happened? (Look for evidence, follow the trail of blood into the cellar?)
The thing is, I wouldn't want this to play out like a choose your path adventure, it should more feel like a world you can interact with. So maybe this setting wouldn't be optimal for that, as it seems very plot-driven.
A choose-your-own-adventure style, I like the idea! You can choose to explore the university or leave to get some help. Those are great ideas Big Grin.

(09-11-2012, 06:50 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: Seriously...that would haunt my nightmares forever due to the sheer paranoia and nightmare fuel that would provide...good god, you sir are of the devil for such a TERRIFYINGLY GOOD IDEA...you deserve a cookie

Thank you for the positive feedback Smile. I like taking (or at least thinking) of what's been done and 'upping the anti'. *You reach to give me a cookie, when all of a sudden it grows spider-like legs and scurry off!*
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2012, 02:51 PM by The Rock Worm.)
09-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Find