Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Model size
6346021815 Offline

Threads: 2
Model size

Hello. My friend is having a bit of a problem, and is refusing to write this on his own.
Before I start, I will say that I know nothing about models.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39/image268.png/

That actually describes the problem quite well. In 3DS Max the model is tiny, but in Amnesia level editor it is huge. Any possible causes?
09-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
RE: Model size

Have you tried opening the model in the "Model Editor"? I don't know about modelling, but at least try that.

EDIT: You may also try lowering the size of the model in the Level Editor (since it is huge there, but that wouldn't be a problem). Use numbers like 0.01, and go lower (0.001) in case the object is still unnaturally big.

Like I said, I'm not sure how this all works.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2012, 08:48 PM by Robby.)
09-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Website Find
Zjurc Offline

Threads: 8

1- It is open in model editor (need to create that .ent first anyway!)

2- of course the size gets to be brought down to normal. It works by putting it in model editor, bringing the size to normal, saving the .ent and then its all good. Works in level editor etc. I am extremely interested to SKIP those resizing steps aka changing that pesky 3DS Max grid size so I can zoom in and do my models/converting normally. it's really tricky to work with it on a microscopic level! And it is really annoying to resize it all the time as well.
09-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

To get rid of this problem in the first place, you should change your units to Meters in whatever program you're using. I use Maya, so I have no idea how Max works at all.
Otherwise, keep scaling down and exporting. Eventually you'll get it to the size you want it to be.

09-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Don't know what units HPL is using, but try playing around with the Units setup in Max. (Customize> Units setup) First, make sure the system units are the same as the display units (it just gets confusing otherwise). Then see if you can find out what units HPL is using or just experiment until it exports correctly. Try setting it to meters, centimeters or even millimeters and see what kinds of results you get...
09-10-2012, 02:08 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

This is an issue with max, it doesn't matter if you scale the size of the object after exporting either, sometimes it even screws up XYZ scaling into different sizes.

The way I work around this is by going into edit poly mode and scaling down my entire model by selecting every polygon and exporting the mesh over and over again untill it's scaled properly.
09-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Have you ever tried applying a reset X Form and then collapsing the modifier stack before exporting? I found that it often helps with all sorts of transform issues.
09-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Find
Zjurc Offline

Threads: 8

Yeah, sadly It's literally impossible for 3DS Max to export normal scales. The only way to solve this is to work on it, and WHEN you are DONE, keep exporting and resizing. I am highly disappointed on how AutoCad made this size system in the first place.
I already have it set to Meters, but as you dear gentlemen suggested, I will experiment with smaller scales like Millimetres and see what happens.
Will post results once I get round to doing it (taking a short break now, too annoyed with 3DS Max)
09-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Yeah it actually is impossible, the DAE export is borked up royaly for max users and there's simply nothing we can do about it at this point.

It pains me... *sob*
09-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Find