Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia - Two Years Later
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
RE: Amnesia - Two Years Later

@Gavaio the release date is confirmed for early 2013, so we'll have to wait unfortunately.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

I can't wait to see the look on people's faces when I'll show them that nothing happens on December 21st.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Website Find
KingWolf Offline

Threads: 2

(09-11-2012, 01:45 PM)Scraper Wrote: Loved the piracy part.
^

Helping "Nemet Robert " with his unofficial map.
09-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

A tiny, slightly related moment of idea here. I think you could increase sales and popularity of Penumbra by including Overture as a bonus for AMFP pre-orders. Then lots people can go out and buy Black Plague because they enjoyed Overture so much.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
09-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Website Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

Quote: At Frictional Games our main concern is our new super secret project. We do not want to say much about this project yet,but we can disclose that it will be horror and that it will be first person. One of the things I was most disappointed with in Amnesia was that it never really managed to deliver any deeper themes, but was more like a shallow fright-fest. For the new project we want to change that and really try and bring a certain theme to the front. Our hope is that this will create a very special experience, creating horror in a much more disturbing way.
I Thought rumours were pretty different about this argument. People said the next FG game won't be horror but will have "some horror elements". Great work FG, by the way Smile

listen to boards of canada
09-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Website Find
GraphicsKid Offline

Threads: 34

I love this blog, but I HATE the white on black text. Could you please change it??? I have a very hard time reading it, and I get eye-strain after a short while.
09-13-2012, 06:06 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(09-13-2012, 06:06 AM)GraphicsKid Wrote: I love this blog, but I HATE the white on black text. Could you please change it??? I have a very hard time reading it, and I get eye-strain after a short while.
Here.
Spoiler below!

Introduction
It has now passed a little more than two years since we launched Amnesia and one year since the last report, so time for another! One would think that there is perhaps not much to be said this long after release, especially for a single player game with no built-in social features. But the fact is that Amnesia is still going very strong and 2012 will probably be the best financial year here at Frictional Games, which we would never had expected two years ago.

Sales
As always, let's start with the sales and some numbers. The first thing will be to figure out how many units we have sold in total, which is actually really hard to pin down. The biggest reasons for the uncertainty is that Amnesia was part of the Humble Indie Bundle (HIB) earlier this year and Potato Bundle last year. Both of these account for quite a lot of sales. Without counting the units bought there our total lands at 710 000 units. Adding all HIB and Potato Sack sales gets us to 1 360 000 units in total, which can be called the optimistic figure. This means that, optimistically speaking, Amnesia has sold almost 1.4 million units! This reasoning is not strictly speaking invalid, but I think that one should not really count anyone that bought the bundle and already owned Amnesia as a proper unit. A slightly pessimistic guess (not far from reality I think) is that 2/3 of every bundle and pack buyer already owned Amnesia. This gives us about 920 000 units in total, pessimistically speaking. So saying that we have sold a million units seems fair. Wait... a million units! Oh shit!!

Despite that huge number of sales, what I think is more interesting is how good the monthly sales still are. Not counting any discounts, the monthly full price sales lie at over 10 000 units. This means that less then every 5th minute someone in the world is buying a copy of Amnesia. This is totally insane to me. The figures themselves are far beyond any guesses we would have made two years ago. It is also insane, because this number is actually higher than it was around three months after initial launch. That a game can still be going this good two years after is truly remarkable. This success is due to many factors, some of which are the uniqueness of the game (horror games without combat do not really exist on PC), the large modding community (more on this later) and the steady flood of YouTube clips (which is in turn is fueled by the modding community output).

Also worth noting that our Penumbra games are still going on at the same rate that they always have. They are still selling about the same numbers (a little more actually) as they did three years ago. This totals to about 900 units per month. Taking all sales together is more than enough to support the company, financing A Machine For Pigs (more on that later) and having some left over. This means that we are in a very good position and aim to use it to take more risk and try out new things (more on this later).

I think we have never disclosed how much we Amnesia cost to make, so might as well do that here. The (exactly) three years of development cost a total of 360 000 US Dollars. It has since earned more than ten times that. Take that investors we talked to in 2009!

Piracy
It has been over a year since we even thought about piracy. With sales as good as above we cannot really see this as an issue worth more than two lines in this post, so screw it.

Modding
I mentioned it a bit in last years summary, but feel it was not given enough focus. When we created the possibility of custom stories, it was something we thought of very late and I think Luis implemented it in less than a day. We put a few days on adding documentation ourwikias well, but all in all, it was a tiny effort compared to the rest of the game. Despite that, this aspect as been immensely important for the game and while it is hard to give any exact features in terms of sales, the influence on our community is easily seen. Before modding started, we had one or two daily post on our message boards. But as the modding community has grown, it is now up in over 40! (Remember this on the boards of a 2 year old a single player game.) There is even a long meme thread regarding the custom story community. What is interesting is that there are even internal expressions used, like "poofer", that we at Frictional did not know about and that was specific to Amnesia modding.

The output of modding community has been quite big as well. Amnesia is as of writing the 2nd most popular game at ModDBand sports 176 finished mods. Not only do this amount of user content lengthen the life of the game, it has also increased the amount of YouTube movies made with an Amnesia theme. There are lots of popular Let's Play channels that have devoted quite a bit of time with just playing various user-made custom stories. As mentioned earlier this have probably played a large role in keeping our monthly sales up.

It is quite clear that allowing users to create content is a feature worth putting time into. I also think that we managed to have a pretty good balance between having simple tools and still allowing a lot of possibilities. It is far from perfect though and for our new engine (which AMFP is not using) will have lots of improvements. It will still be possible to use the simple scripting as before, but now you can pretty much remake whatever you like and do not have to use a complicated total conversion to do so.

Future
The next big thing for us will be the release of Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs, which is a follow-up developed by thechineseroom and produced by us. This release will be very interesting in many ways. First of all it is a big experiment for us to do this sort of collaboration, so from the start we had no idea how it would turn out. Judging from the latest build we have nothing to worry about though, and so far it looks great. Another interesting aspect is how well it will sell compared to the initial Amnesia launch. Not only is the market a lot bigger now than two years ago, Amnesia is more known. The result will be very important to how we plan our future. Release for AMFP is expected early 2013.

At Frictional Games our main concern is our new super secret project. We do not want to say much about this project yet,but we can disclose that it will be horror and that it will be first person. One of the things I was most disappointed with in Amnesia was that it never really managed to deliver any deeper themes, but was more like a shallow fright-fest. For the new project we want to change that and really try and bring a certain theme to the front. Our hope is that this will create a very special experience, creating horror in a much more disturbing way. For the curious, some information on the path we are taking can be found in this paper. The game's current status is that we have pretty much all tech working, and have started to playtest the first parts. Still, a lot is up in the air and the current design is bound to change. While we do not want the project to go on forever, we want to use our good financial situation the best we can and make sure we do not just rush something out (which we did with Amnesia actually). Release will probably be some time in 2014.

Frictional Games have also grown over the last year and we now employ 11 people, which feels very close to the maximum. At least the way we run the company right now. We also do not want to lose the small underdog spirit that has fueled us in the past. When you have such financially different situation compared to when you started I think it is easy to get caught up in expansion, wild ideas and basically do not get much done. So, we do our best to keep our feet firmly on the ground, to be strict on deadlines and to always remember our humble pasts. At the same time we will not take any easy solutions and play it safe. After the successes we have had, I think it is our responsibility to use our money and independence the best way possible.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2012, 09:47 AM by Robby.)
09-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Website Find
Xss Offline

Threads: 4

Great, the paper posted looks very interesting, I need to find some time to read it! Smile

Did voice acting for:
- My Love.
- Painful Shadows.
09-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Awesome work you guys. For an indie dev team, I must say, you guys really make this whole relationship feel a lot closer than, say, playing Halo. It feels more "personal" the way you love the fans and I couldn't have found a better place to start what I've always wanted to do. I look up to what you guys do here and I can say I've learned quite a bit of stuff! Keep up the good work, You guys deserve every cent of it. =]

P.S, I think Sexbad has a good idea.
Spoiler below!
the cliffhanger you left on Overture might just be great enough to get people interested in Black Plague.
09-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Find
Gaviao Offline

Threads: 3

hmmm look i have a better idea... why don't you guys give a ragdoll of the new monster of AAMFP for who pre-order it?

Projects i'm working on
The Dream:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dream
Amnesia:Fear in Hands
http://www.moddb.com/mods/amnesia-fear-in-hands
09-14-2012, 02:03 AM
Find