Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

When is the first major scary part?
windbrand Offline

Threads: 4
When is the first major scary part?

I'm at the part where you have to find the 4 chemicals in the wine cellar, and I have to say so far I haven't experienced much scary stuff. Yeah the game is dark, but it's not even as dark as some levels in Thief 3. The sudden gusts of wind or objects falling? Come on I hope those are not the "scary parts" of this game, they're not even remotely scary. As for the faint shadow of a tall monster that you see when you get the first chemical... well unfortunately that didn't really scare me either as it was kind of predictable.
The graphics, voice acting, and music are all great so far, but I'm just not scared. Amnesia feels like just a re-skin of Thief, but without the combat and collecting loot, and the annoyance of having to stay in the light all the time, while ironically you need to be in the shadows to avoid monsters, conflicting interests? I wasn't really scared from Penumbra 1/2 either, but I did get scared from just a gameplay video of Slender and The House. I guess it takes more than a dark atmosphere + strange sounds + objects moving by themselves to scare me.
So am I close to a really scary part? Or is the whole game going to be roughly the same? What I really find scary are disturbing images (ie, mysterious figures in photos, weird mirror reflections, sudden silhouettes, etc) and chase sequences where you can't see the monster chasing you (Slender).
No spoilers please.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2012, 02:07 AM by windbrand.)
09-13-2012, 02:04 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: When is the first major scary part?

That would be the atmosphere, it's supposed to get you warmed up for the scares. Sorry, but there are no cheap jumpscares. There are monsters, but they are supposed to make you feel tense, not just get a quick reaction out of you.

If you are going into this game expecting lots of jumpscares, be prepared to be disappointed.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-13-2012, 02:21 AM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

Yep. It seems like you're one of the crowd who prefers the type of game that scares you suddenly, and not through atmosphere buildup. I think the first major scare part is either the Storage or after the Refinery. I won't spoil it, but I'll let you figure it out. Smile

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-13-2012, 02:35 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: (...)but without the combat and collecting loot, and the annoyance of having to stay in the light all the time, while ironically you need to be in the shadows to avoid monsters, conflicting interests?(...)
Well not being able to fight the monsters is kinda the point... it would be less scary/ another type of horror otherwise. And the conflicting interests are intentional too, they're there to make the game more interesting...
Quote: chase sequences where you can't see the monster chasing you
Without spoiling too much - you will get what you wished for. But all in all I'd say that Amnesia just might not be the right game for you, sorry Sad People have different tastes in everything and it seems like another horror game might be better suited for yours. I'd suggest you keep playing until you've finished the level called "Storage" and if you still find it boring by that point there's no real point in playing any further.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2012, 12:21 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
09-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

Judging by how you view all the events, you play the game just to win in it. You are approaching it with the " you're not going to scare me attitude". Which is wrong.

Just try to immerse yourself in the game, just by thinking "oh thats so cliche or thats not scary at all" already means you are doing it wrong.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
09-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

Yep. He sounds like a person who I once knew, who kept going "Oooh so scary" at events, and then literally screamed when he saw the first monster.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

ಠ_ಠ

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
09-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Find
windbrand Offline

Threads: 4

(09-13-2012, 03:18 PM)Zaffre Wrote: Yep. He sounds like a person who I once knew, who kept going "Oooh so scary" at events, and then literally screamed when he saw the first monster.
I'm going to have to disappoint your completely nonsense assumption by saying I didn't even flinch at the first monster. Ever thought of the fact that maybe I just have a high fear tolerance from watching lots of J-horror? And maybe I'm used to the dark atmosphere from playing Silent Hill series + Penumbra series?
Since when were horror newbies the only type who were allowed to play this game.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2012, 11:47 PM by windbrand.)
09-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(09-13-2012, 11:45 PM)windbrand Wrote: Since when were horror newbies the only type who were allowed to play this game.
So if you are scared of horror games... you are considered a "horror-newbie"?

The thing is, that this is a psychological thrill ride, it will only go as far as you are willing to let it. Meaning you have to play the game the way it's intended or you won't be scared. If that sounds like a cheap gimmick, it isn't. That's just the way the human mind works.

I swear, it's like no one reads the game's instructions. There were like 3 of them. It's not hard.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Find
Gaviao Offline

Threads: 3

hahaha cry of fear you have guns and melee weapons and it's still scary, stop saying that.

Projects i'm working on
The Dream:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dream
Amnesia:Fear in Hands
http://www.moddb.com/mods/amnesia-fear-in-hands
09-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Find