Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.Lang File Help Use of apostrophe
benjatheavenger Offline

Threads: 2
Use of apostrophe

Hi there - I've had this problem for a while but since it's minor and I'm only about 25% of the way through completing my custom story I have left it for now, but it's time to get it sorted!

In the ".lang" file I am writing in things like Diary Entries and Loading Text as both are integral to the understanding of my story, but... when I use an apostrophe, for example when saying "Joseph's" - implying that something belongs to Joseph, it doesn't show in the loading text and it takes away the "s" character, making the message nonsensical.

Can anyone help me and tell me how to make an apostrophe which doesn't mess up the message in game?

I know in html you can write something like &_#38; and it makes an apostrophe, but I just tried that and it doesn't work. Is there an hpl2 scripting equivalent??

Thank you!
Ben
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2012, 02:19 PM by benjatheavenger.)
09-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Find
Chap Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Use of apostrophe

I remember having a problem like this, I think all you need to do is something like /'s

If I remember right, that's how I did it and it displays the apostrophe correctly then. Hope that works for you!

[Image: 20643.png]
09-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

I never used apostrophes in my custom story (in the text itself, not in the name of the entry). So I can't really help here.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Website Find
benjatheavenger Offline

Threads: 2

Thanks guys - I've figured it out now and I think it's a font issue. What happened was that the loading text captions were the first thing that I did on my custom story and I wrote them in word, which automatically exchanges apostrophes for "smart quotes", for which the default font in amnesia has no characters. I realised this as I was playing around with the /'s idea above and suddenly they started displaying! So... I re-wrote all of the apostrophes in notepad and now it all works fine! :-) thanks for your help anyways! If you need anything proofreading, I'm very good with language and story development.
09-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

FYI, i believe the proper HTML entity for use with the engine for the apostrophe is '

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Website Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 26

What I've learnt from my php programming class is that when atleast writing in php the escape sequences is written with a / before the sign for example when writing " you need to write /" for it to show up as text, but I'm not certain how html works for this engine

09-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

SilentStriker is correct. / is often used as an escape sequence for characters that cannot normally be displayed in text. (Like an " would be /" because " normally ends the string sequence.)

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Forward slash is not the backslash. The backslash is what is used to "escape" characters.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Website Find