Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing story production to do the inspired one
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Changing story production to do the inspired one

Since my upcoming story "Beneath the Ice--Chapter 1: The Ruins" is similar/inspired from Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness", I've decided to shelve my story in favor of doing "At the Mountains of Madness". Or at least another side to it. I really love the story and have a neat idea on doing it.

Considering Dyer didn't have much action or puzzles for an Amnesia Custom Story, this one would follow Gedney. Gedney and a dog were missing from the camp that the Elder Things attacked early in the story. However, we don't truly know what Gedney did in that city. I purpose following him would give room for an exciting adventure.

Now a few things would have to be done to make this, if anyone wants to aid me please speak up or give advice. Below are key points for this story to be successful.

1: Now the textures for the city/pictographs are one that is a must.

2: At a minimum, we need a Shoggoth. Considering it's a protoplasmic creature not sure how this scary monster would be made. Depending on the story, not sure about the giant Albino Penguins. Elder Things would be good, as they are also after Gedney.

3: Considering the Shoggoth went after Penguins, Elder Things, and Humans, the typical enemy status wouldn't work. Penguins could be neutral, Elder Things as Enemy Grunts, and the Shoggoth a new enemy type; one that goes after everybody.

4: I'm still working on story, but it should be filled with puzzles; same/similar alien history seen by Dyer; and a chance for Gedney to find a way out/get help (in case people read the story).

Now I know the above would be tricky/difficult to make, but would result in a really great adventure set in one of Lovecraft's most well known stories.

Any thoughts in how to do this or who will help?
09-19-2012, 01:04 AM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10
RE: Changing story production to do the inspired one

Get a 3d modelling program. Learn it. Get good at it. Get to work.
Get Gimp/Photoshop, and learn to use it mixed in with getting good photographs.

Not going to let you down easy here. Nobody is going to make that Shoggoth thing for you. If it's so vital, you'll have to make it yourself. Unless, of course, you contract a freelance artist and pay him. But that would be silly as the custom story would be free.

Good luck on it, though.

09-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-19-2012, 01:13 AM)Obliviator27 Wrote: Get a 3d modelling program. Learn it. Get good at it. Get to work.
Get Gimp/Photoshop, and learn to use it mixed in with getting good photographs.

Not going to let you down easy here. Nobody is going to make that Shoggoth thing for you. If it's so vital, you'll have to make it yourself. Unless, of course, you contract a freelance artist and pay him. But that would be silly as the custom story would be free.

Good luck on it, though.
I know the Shoggoth would be difficult. One idea is 're-skin' and /or 're-model' the worm from Penumbra enough to be a Shoggoth.

If I did make a texture(s), how do I add it as a readable one for Amnesia? Haven't tried so not sure.

What about the coding to make it attack even other monsters?
09-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

You really won't give up on this Lovecraft thing, while you?
*Sigh* Well, I wish you the best of luck.
09-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

Attacking other monsters is only possible through faking it with animations or something.

Textures need to be in .dds format. They need to have dimensions such as 256x256, 512x512, 512x256, 1024x1024, you get the idea. Then you make the .mat file in the material editor.

09-19-2012, 01:25 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(09-19-2012, 01:22 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: You really won't give up on this Lovecraft thing, while you?
*Sigh* Well, I wish you the best of luck.
I can't help it, I want a good first impression as my first custom story. Doing something like this would be it. At a minimum would be new textures and a Shoggoth.

For the Shoggoth, I could reskin the Penumbra Worm to be the Shoggoth. Or... I could make a particle to be the 'body' of the Shoggoth and use a Kaernk-style monster.

(09-19-2012, 01:25 AM)Obliviator27 Wrote: Attacking other monsters is only possible through faking it with animations or something.

Textures need to be in .dds format. They need to have dimensions such as 256x256, 512x512, 512x256, 1024x1024, you get the idea. Then you make the .mat file in the material editor.

Thanks for the textures info. I will have to get/use a program to save .dds formats.

As for the attacking other mosnters, I could 'leave corpses' with evidence to indicate the Shoggoth did it. After all, the story describes the method of attack for the Shoggoth.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012, 01:29 AM by The Rock Worm.)
09-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(09-19-2012, 01:26 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I can't help it, I want a good first impression as my first custom story.
Or you could just focus on good mapping and creating an immersive atmosphere with a decent story backing it up.

I rate it 3 memes.
09-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(09-19-2012, 01:30 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote:
(09-19-2012, 01:26 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I can't help it, I want a good first impression as my first custom story.
Or you could just focus on good mapping and creating an immersive atmosphere with a decent story backing it up.
This.

Posting Freak
09-19-2012, 01:32 AM
Website Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

I agree with all the people above saying you should focus on things that are less monster based. Though the animation problems are solved, if you don't know how to model & animate, it's best you get someone to do it for you.

Good luck! Lovecraftian sounds like it might be a tad bit difficult to put into Amnesia.

P.s.- Environmental fear is the simplest way to add fear to someone, without having to add too many more models. If you invoke fear by the sounds and effects provided inside or outside the game, you might be able to get the same effect as if you had the creature models in there! You could also make stiff characters (non-animated, to the effect of a chair, wardrobe or book) and make it just appear out the corner of the screen. You could frighten the gamer by having it appear and disappear (and you won't have to animate anything! Just model a simple monster or draw one and import the drawing onto a face/plane!) Big Grin

i hope this wasn't too long winded (but sure enough, it probably is... ).

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012, 02:01 AM by crisosphinx.)
09-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(09-19-2012, 01:49 AM)crisosphinx Wrote: If I had more time, I'd be willing to put my all into it with you; however, Damascus stole me. Perhaps you could get Traggey to help or maybe even Hirnwirbel?
I think I speak for both of them, as well as myself, to not refer to anyone when someone needs help. If we can help, we'll come and help. Traggey is quite busy as he hardly has time for the Timorem team, so I don't think he will be able to help. As for Hirnwirbel (crazy name by the way, haha), I think she has schooling or some other projects to take care of. If they are willing to help, they will come ask, but I've caught referrals a few times on the forums and it will just get members' hopes up, then let down when we tell them we can't.

Just a heads up, nothing personal.
09-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Find