Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Monster Despawn?
Lucifina666 Offline

Threads: 1
Random Monster Despawn?

Well, I'm currently playing through the Dark Descent, and I'm up to the Cellar Archives, with the Kaernk. I've managed to get past the first section relatively easily, but I'm now up to the part where you have to distract the Kaernk in order to spin the valve and begin the chase between you and the enormous monster. Well, I've died about five times, and around the sixth time I started that section again, there is no monster whatsoever! (Not that I'm complaining >.>) I can enter the Archive Tunnels without being chased by anything, and I don't need to use the flesh to distract anything- because the monster just isn't there.

I just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else, or whether this is a glitch of some kind. Again, not that I'm complaining! Big Grin

Thanks.
09-24-2012, 03:02 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Random Monster Despawn?

It is intentional, and if I may add, some darn good game design.

In an immersive experience like Amnesia, constantly dying and being put up against the same odds over and over can quickly change the tone of the game from horror to pure frustration. In parts you'll see later in the game, death causes monsters to randomly spawn (i.e. the one that killed you the first time will be gone for good, but in the next room/corridor there's a chance you'll encounter a new one).

These randomized encounters (in my opinion) add to the tension, and make the game feel like more than just scripted event after scripted event. It also gives dying the proper amount of punishment, instead of just: intentionally get killed by the monster then breeze through the area care free.

Such a small part of the game, but I feel it makes a difference.

I rate it 3 memes.
09-24-2012, 03:13 AM
Find
Lucifina666 Offline

Threads: 1

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up! I had no idea if my game was glitchy or whatever, but now I'm scared of what I'll find around the corner...>_<

Thanks again! Smile
(09-24-2012, 03:13 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: It is intentional, and if I may add, some darn good game design.

In an immersive experience like Amnesia, constantly dying and being put up against the same odds over and over can quickly change the tone of the game from horror to pure frustration. In parts you'll see later in the game, death causes monsters to randomly spawn (i.e. the one that killed you the first time will be gone for good, but in the next room/corridor there's a chance you'll encounter a new one).

These randomized encounters (in my opinion) add to the tension, and make the game feel like more than just scripted event after scripted event. It also gives dying the proper amount of punishment, instead of just: intentionally get killed by the monster then breeze through the area care free.

Such a small part of the game, but I feel it makes a difference.
09-24-2012, 03:23 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

I noticed that too, but I already thought it was a game mechanic, since it seemed to occur whenever a monster trekked far enough.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Website Find
peckinpah1976 Offline

Threads: 2

Not being a particularly accomplished gamer, I'd never have escaped the Kaernk without this feature.

Ditto the escape from the cells.
10-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Find
Earthykiller127 Offline

Threads: 10

did you throwed a box at it or something? this way it may have killed it

I'll make it short
I am
Spoiler below!
Black ☆ Rock Shooter
01-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Website Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

You can use the floating boxes to move around in the water without ever wetting any parts of your body, up until the door past the gate with the valve you have to spin.
01-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Necromancing again?

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
01-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(09-24-2012, 03:02 AM)Lucifina666 Wrote: Well, I'm currently playing through the Dark Descent, and I'm up to the Cellar Archives, with the Kaernk. I've managed to get past the first section relatively easily, but I'm now up to the part where you have to distract the Kaernk in order to spin the valve and begin the chase between you and the enormous monster. Well, I've died about five times, and around the sixth time I started that section again, there is no monster whatsoever! (Not that I'm complaining >.>) I can enter the Archive Tunnels without being chased by anything, and I don't need to use the flesh to distract anything- because the monster just isn't there.

I just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else, or whether this is a glitch of some kind. Again, not that I'm complaining! Big Grin

Thanks.
It's a game mechanic. NOT a glitch

OFFTOPIC:
Comic Sans MS? I SHOULD TRY THAT!

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
01-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Find
NightSshadeGaming Offline

Threads: 3

It's normal, since if everytime you die the monster didn't despawn, imagine you are just not good with the controls - you will end up dying every time. Or think of that - you passed some places and 3 monsters have spawned already, what will happen if you die? You go back and those three monsters are lurking around the map, making it impossible for the player to progress...

Second Scary/Funny montage :P Even better than the first one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3a89LPxvBk
01-19-2013, 12:28 AM
Find