Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Issues Help About the CS
Vasco Offline

Threads: 4
About the CS

I'm working on my first CS at the moment, and I can say that it's not a simple "one-hour-pewdiepie-map". I've spent a lot of time on it. But I actually have some questions, and I will be happy if some skilled person (the one who had made several CS already) could answer them.
- Is it important to make voice acting If I have a complex CS with several characters, many monologues etc... And if needed - where can I find voice actors (I can't do this thing myself anyway)?
- How should I beta-test my map? Should I select several men for this or should I offer beta to everyone?
These questions may sound stupid, but answering them will really help me. Thank you.
09-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Find
Ungotter Offline

Threads: 3
RE: About the CS

I've not made a custom story, working on one in a very early stage, but in terms of voice acting I believe you either have to find something good or it's a flop. If people are playing your CS for your story, they won't mind reading so much, if they're not there for the story they don't care either way.
In my opinion, beta-testing should be left to certain individuals you trust for easy to get feedback without severe abuse. If you release a public beta, people tend to try and play it as if it were a full release and so, as you can expect, they aren't best pleased.
That'll be a huge damage to your motivation and perhaps the publicity of your mod and people who say "mod sucks bad mapping" aren't helping much in terms of what you need to fix. "0/10 i cud nt undstnd stori" < It may very well be this man can't speak English as well as you do and so believes your story to be bad but in reality your story may be fine; he's just unable to read it.

Friends/Family are the best bet for beta testers, good luck!
09-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

You could recruit members here if you want to keep the voice acting recruitment "simple". However, if you want an extra boost in voice acting quality, you could try heading to Newgrounds, watch a few animations, and e-mail some people you think would suit your role. Remember to send him/her some displays of your work, so that they'll be more willing to agree!

As for beta-testing, I'd say a closed-beta would work best as open ones are basically showing off the story in public in its non-perfect form.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Voice acting can be good and bad. If you have a talented voice actor that can blend in emotions it will certainly increase the quality of the CS and decrease it if the voice actor sound "made up" and emtionless.

You can get voice actors simply by making a thread where you tell people that you're looking for voice actors.

When I beta-tested my maps I asked on the forum. Saying that I was looking for 3 people to do some testing, but only 1 came through, but he did it very well and pointed out every flaw in the map, clipping, billboards etc.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
09-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

In my custom story, I do all the voice acting so far... I don't know if I'm good or bad at it, but nobody have complained yet, and i do my best. It shouldn't be impossible... Unless you want to voiceact somebody from the other gender

Trying is the first step to success.
09-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Find
Vasco Offline

Threads: 4

Thank you! One more question: should I use some "extra" music, that was not in the original game? And is it okay to use music from another game or a movie, for example?
09-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

If you feel like it sure. However music from games and movies are very oftenly copyrighted and I don't think they'd be very happy if you used it without their permission

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2012, 01:37 AM by i3670.)
09-26-2012, 01:37 AM
Find