Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Picture going white where it's light, but in the dark everything looks good
larsjorgen Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago Picture going white where it's light, but in the dark everything looks good

I've reinstalled Black Death and I use the same graphic settings as before, but I have a problem: I had to turn off post effects to get a picture at all, or else it was all white. Now I see what I'm doing, but it's a lot of white in the picture. When walking around in the dark with the gamma turned up, it all looks great, but as soon as I pull out my good ol' flashlight it all turns white. I've tried all kinds of combinations with the graphics, bloom and noise filter on/off etc etc.

I btw have the same problem with Requiem.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2012, 05:28 PM by larsjorgen.)
09-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Picture going white where it's light, but in the dark everything looks good

What type of graphics card do you have? Sounds like it is running on an IntelHD which is not supported. Maybe you have two graphics card and it used to run on the other card, if so you can probably fix this by using the control panel for the graphics card and specifying it as the card to be used.
09-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Website Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Picture going white where it's light, but in the dark everything looks good

If that's the case, switch to a better GPU. Intel cards are pretty bad.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Website Find
larsjorgen Offline

I play on an Asus X53sv with a Geforce Gt540M - more than good enough, and I did have this problem before but I got it fixed. Cant remember how, though. When it worked before I could put everything on max and it still ran great.

Edit: And how do you reckon that the video card is the problem if all the other graphics are working just fine and only light is the problem?
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2012, 08:16 PM by larsjorgen.)
09-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Intel Cards are not good for OpenGL games, they may play Penumbra, but not really with Amnesia. You can still play, but graphics will have problems. An Nvidia GPU should fit well (for me at least).

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2012, 08:21 PM by Robby.)
09-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Website Find
larsjorgen Offline

I do have Nvidia.. What do you mean, "fit well"? I have a laptop, it's not like I can change the hardware or anything.. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2012, 08:32 PM by larsjorgen.)
09-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Well, you have an Nvidia card. I got confused a second ago.

Have you tried updating GPU drivers?

09-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

If you have an nvidia card then you might have Optimus witch is basicaly Intel HD & Nvidia. Make sure you have the latest Intel HD drivers using the have disk method as said in the Amnesia AMD+Intel HD guide. Also, the latest Nvidia drivers. If you play the game with the Intel HD card then you need to disable Post Effects to remove the white thing(or similar at least, try disabling everything if I don't recall correctly).

Well, to test what gpu you are using for OpenGL applications download the Amnesia demo, run it and then attach the file HPL.log found under Documents\Amnesia\Main folder.
09-25-2012, 01:34 AM
Find
larsjorgen Offline

I have now tried new drivers and installed directx 11. Still the same. Post effects is off.

How can this be a driver problem if my last installation worked just fine? Even there I had this light problem, but after a lot of trying and failing I finally found out what settings worked, and I took a picture of it with my phone so that I wouldn't forget when installing the game over again. Now, when I use the same settings as last time, I still get the light problem. More than anything else, it looks like the game is full of bugs.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2012, 12:19 AM by larsjorgen.)
09-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

First off, this is an OpenGL game so DirectX update does not make a difference. Secondly, the game is not full of bugs. It works just fine with the hardware that can support it. Run the Amnesia demo to see what graphics card is being used. If it is the Intel one, then it is known that Intel cards do not suppot Penumbra.
09-26-2012, 01:21 AM
Find