Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Why does Amnesia have absolutely no idle movement?!
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
Why does Amnesia have absolutely no idle movement?!

What I mean by that is in *almost* every first person game if you hold an item (where it can be seen on screen) normally the weapon will move slowly and not stand stiff. Like you can see the item move up and down slowly. However in Amnesia Daniel is like a damn stone - the only Animation there is for it is when he pulls it out/puts it back. The Lantern rocks back and forth *only* when the play moves.

So how we add idle movement?

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2012, 01:15 PM by darkely.)
09-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Find
Clord Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Why does Amnesia have absolutely no idle movement?!

Well in case on Amnesia game. Lantern's movement on hand actually affects the surrounding light. I'm more wondering why Daniel is no corporeal for the player and light pass through him like he is nothing. It is really immersion breaker for some to see lack of any resemblance of the body expect one hand.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2012, 01:25 PM by Clord.)
09-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote:I'm more wondering why Daniel is no corporeal for the player and light pass through him like he is nothing. It is really immersion breaker for some to see lack of any resemblance of the body expect one hand.
Probably would have been simply too much work for too little benefit... I mean there's a reason there are only two visible enemies in the original game and all corpses look the same (naked and male). Character modeling takes a lot of time and effort, so modeling and animating a whole human just so the player sees two legs when he looks down probably moved to the "nice to have" list at some point during development Wink
But I would have prefered it too... maybe in the next game?
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2012, 01:56 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
09-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

This is what i would like to see when i look down ingame! Not just a floating hand holding a lantern..

[Image: MirrorsEdge-2010-12-23-12-26-37-90.png]

09-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

The work output for that is incredible. It's simply not that necessary and they would have to have done so much more scripting, modelling, and bug testing. It IS a nice touch, but it's expensive and, more or less, sprinkles on ice cream.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2012, 03:48 PM by Statyk.)
09-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

THEY'RE CALLED SPRINKLES, DAMMIT.

Posting Freak
09-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

You're right, I'm ashamed that jimmies came out of me. I need a psychiatric evaluation.
09-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

The lantern "does" move on idle. It always does, but in such increments that you really don't notice that until you look directly at it w/o moving.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

Why is having the lantern (or whatever he is holding then) moving while idle make the game so stressful?

Like in TF2 (ya I know different game but still) whenever you swap to the Scout he holds his Scattergun (a shot gun by default) when you swap to The Boston Basher (a bat with a lot of spikes on it) he holds it normally but the bat things slightly (in a small circle). I don't see how that little thing could be that stressful for devs....

[Image: gjt9Q.jpg]

Statyk Wrote:The work output for that is incredible. It's simply not that necessary
and they would have to have done so much more scripting, modelling, and
bug testing. It IS a nice touch, but it's expensive and, more or less,
sprinkles on ice cream.

So in other words the developers did not want to put in extra effort to make the game better? Undecided I don't see how being able to look at a model (like you could normally) is so stressful on the game itself.

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2012, 05:05 PM by darkely.)
09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Nobody said it was. What I said was that creating a whole body for the Main Character would be more effort than just having an arm floating in the air.

Anyway, my theory is that, since the lantern swings physically from the hand if you move around, they chose a very subtle idle animation so it wouldn't wildly swing around all the time (especially since there's a light source linked to it).

Besides - if I hold an object in front of my face with one hand, my hand isn't doing any noticeable idle movements either. Its just some veeeeery subtle muscle twitches if you look closely but nothing of this exaggerated up-down-movement...
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2012, 05:08 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
09-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Find