Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[C#] Need some help setting goals
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: [C#] Need some help setting goals

Write 2d games and applications first. As you go along, you will get better and find that you will have written your own personal library of code, which you can bundle into an engine.(as opposed to writing stuff from scratch.) The thing about 3d is that you have to be good at linear algebra, trigonometry, physics, rendering, etc. All of that stuff is complicated and is not for beginners.

I took 2 years of java in highschool, and I didn't even get into graphics until late in the second year. Learn all of the basics first.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2012, 01:05 AM by Ghieri.)
10-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Well first of all I don't recommend C# if you are interested in video game programming as it is not typically used to write game engines at all. It is considered a high-level programming language which means your power over the hardware is more indirect. It is generally used professionally for making and maintaining complex databases, networking software and other things. C++ is the ideal game programming language as it lets you do literally everything you can think of with your hardware (provided it's possible).

Be warned though, you should approach it with a great deal of respect and patience. You can seriously screw things up if you do not learn correctly. C++ has what is called undefined behavior which means anything can happen. Your computer might blow up and it might not. Usually there's just a memory leak but it can get very serious. The causes of undefined behavior are fairly well documented though, so just watch out.

Good luck. If you need any help ask Your Computer, I'm pretty sure he knows C++. If not, I have a modest understanding of the language. I could at least show you the ropes. Hello World in C++ is incredibly simple.
10-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I don't recommend C++ as an introductory language. Java is easier, it gives you all of the basics, while being a high-level language.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-13-2012, 02:19 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(10-13-2012, 02:19 AM)Aldighieri Wrote: I don't recommend C++ as an introductory language. Java is easier, it gives you all of the basics, while being a high-level language.
C++ is not really a difficult language. It's what I started out with in programming (never bothered to learn anything else). You just need to be patient, willing to read books and articles online and willing to put in a lot of practice time. You will be glad you did as C++ lets you do most anything. There are also tons (more than in any other language I think) of libraries and APIs that you can use for game development which should be a plus. There's no sense in "easing into it" because Java is a different language. If you want to learn Java game design, then learn Java. If you want to learn C++ game design, which is a good idea because it's more powerful, then learn C++. You shouldn't take Java as an "introductory language". Just take time and think about what's going on. You'll get it in no time.
10-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Find