Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Graphics upgrade?
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
Graphics upgrade?

I was wondering is it possible to go and replace the graphics (models & etc.) with more detailed ones. I would like to do this but I am not sure if it is possible or legal...

The main reason I want to do this is to get some practice in the graphics department.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM by darkely.)
10-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
RE: Graphics upgrade?

Well, with models, I think you'll need to watch out for the "polygon" count or something. If it is too high, you can't use that model in-game.

About legal or not, I have got no clue on that one.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Website Find
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10

There is nothing wrong replacing models...
10-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12

You can always do a full conversion mod with new models Smile

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
10-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

You can always replace models easily as long as you've got them. However, if you're looking to improve engine related graphics processing effects, like how the game deals with lighting etc, you can't do anything about it as far as I know unless you go do some very thorough scripting.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM by Kreekakon.)
10-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

Just do higher quality textures. At the moment, if I recall, they are 256x256. If you want HD perfection, make 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 textures. Normal maps won't change unless you scrap them and redo them, but the diffuse and spec and be updated. Try it! Big Grin

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
10-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Hi, I already did the job.
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/15503-penu...n-the-way/
Watch the pictures below...

But I stopped working since having problems with objects (chairs, tables, barrels, etc.) because I can't replace any form of geometric textures and it looks muddy, if I wouldn't change them also.
I also created a texture patch for "Gothic 3 ", and actually I wanted to finalize this project.
10-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Find
wabo Offline

Threads: 1

Well, actually somebody is doing it.

... Angel

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-16075.html

As I said in the last post, no ETA but I hope I'll be posting more about it soon. And yes, as Googolplex noted, some models are a bitch. Extremely lowpoly (despite that you wouldn't believe how much better a model can look with a hi-def tex on it) and reusing the wrapper in "not the best place" (FUCKING BED in the boat, I hate that model).

The main problem I faced was not adjusting new texture to the model but making it look "dirty". It's extremely tempting to make a HD tex mod and go the clean route for "crispness" and forget the original ambient of the game. Even one of the best texture packs out there, Maldo's, has this problem (fixed fortunately in 4.0 version).

This is mainly why I'll restart the mod (its not like I'm throwing to the bin that many textures, after all).
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2012, 01:30 AM by wabo.)
10-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Find
Jdog8998 Offline

Threads: 2

(10-02-2012, 07:10 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Hi, I already did the job.
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/15503-penu...n-the-way/
Watch the pictures below...

But I stopped working since having problems with objects (chairs, tables, barrels, etc.) because I can't replace any form of geometric textures and it looks muddy, if I wouldn't change them also.
I also created a texture patch for "Gothic 3 ", and actually I wanted to finalize this project.
Id be really happy about this, but I have never seen hi res mods ever done right. Don't take offense to this because its all a matter of opinion in the long run, but I think you should try and preserve the texture design as best as you can and just try to make a sharper version of the originals, not create a whole new ones so you can maintain the atmospheric design of the game as best as you can. So far it looks like the actual art design isn't really being preserved. When you compare the color schemes of the floor boards on the ship and the cave walls, your not really keeping the cold colors that were often used in penumbra. I see these kind of mistakes all the time with high res mods. I have seen few to none actually preserve these things when making a mod like this. It would in the long run be a lot harder, but I think its really important to making sure Penumbras game play doesn't get changed at all. With Penumbra being pretty much all atmosphere, I think that makes it even more important because you are playing with the qualities that the game uses for game play.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2012, 04:31 AM by Jdog8998.)
10-12-2012, 02:28 AM
Find
Earthykiller127 Offline

Threads: 10

(10-02-2012, 03:48 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: if you're looking to improve engine related graphics processing effects, like how the game deals with lighting etc, you can't do anything about it as far as I know unless you go do some very thorough scripting.
uh. it would also require an update of the engine.
(except if it is strong enough already, cause, not sure about that HPL engine)

I'll make it short
I am
Spoiler below!
Black ☆ Rock Shooter
12-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Website Find