Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Rant Thread
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: Rant Thread

(09-17-2013, 04:32 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 04:29 PM)Ye Olde Aldi Wrote: Actually a bigger part of that is that most of Hollywood's money comes from Foreign markets, so they make their movies as generic as possible so it can make sense to the most people.

My money shall be the fuel that fuels mediocrity :3

Damned Foreigners! : P

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 04:34 PM by Ghieri.)
09-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

The way Hollywood actually works is pretty interesting. Hollywood will throw out a lot of films in a year. They will sometimes spend a lot of money on a film that does poorly and will probably never profit. This happens to the majority of films they make in the term year. The way that Hollywood profits though is by relying on 3 or 4 HUGE blockbusters. For example the other year there was Avengers Assemble, The Dark Knight Rises etc. Those films profited so much that they were able to make back the money they lost on the other films.

As for predictability and mediocrity... That's just how producers operate with genre. Producers rely a lot on genre, it not only helps them market their film but it also helps audiences know what they're in for. Mass audiences are scared by change or something different. It's mostly a small amount of individual film enthusiasts that complain about the system, much like ourselves. However we're not wrong to complain, but the current genre system has worked very well for a long time and is not likely to change.

Brief example is super hero films. In the past 5 or so years super hero films have become more successful than ever. Have you noticed how Hollywood are just throwing them out as fast as possible because of the wave of success they've been getting?

If you're still reading then thanks, but i'll digress some more for those interested (its good practice for me anyway Big Grin)

Hybrids in genre are a common thing to try and restore some public interest. Take a look at Cowboys Vs Aliens. A recent hybrid of Sci-Fi and a Western. The film did poorly at box office and overall it wasn't such a success. Hollywood took a risk trying to reboot the Western genre, at least they tried haha. They got a lot more luck recently with Django Unchained thanks to some Tarantino as usual though.

Currently popular is Romantic Horrors. Under this hybrid is Let the Right One In (later the American remake), Twilight franchise, Warm Bodies to name just a few. Look forward to some more RomZomCom's guys! Big Grin

[Image: luv.gif]
09-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

(09-17-2013, 02:14 PM)droog Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 01:41 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 01:35 PM)Deep One Wrote: Big boys refused to product At the Mountains of Madness because it doesn't have a love story and happy ending. My face when I heard this:

It's unfortunate reality though. Stuff like that just sells better...

Wasn't the reason, that he wants an R rating for the movie, but the studio only wants to pay when he make it PG-13?

He wanted a hard R rating I think, and the execs went LOLNOPE.
And I think the execs were also pushing for LOL3D.

But yeah...maybe someday we'll have him doing a Lovecraft ANYTHING.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2013, 04:17 AM by Cuyir.)
09-18-2013, 04:13 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

To be completely frank though...if I ever got to an executive position where money mattered alot to the company...now that I think about it I would very likely go for propositions that have tendencies to earn more as much as I hate to admit it.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-18-2013, 04:32 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

(09-18-2013, 04:32 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: To be completely frank though...if I ever got to an executive position where money mattered alot to the company...now that I think about it I would very likely go for propositions that have tendencies to earn more as much as I hate to admit it.

Of course, that's normal but...in an industry where remakes rule and you can have any franchise you want and you won't take a single risk?

Come on....

Those execs should take a risk every time they greenlight 5 remakes.
09-18-2013, 05:48 AM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

(09-18-2013, 05:48 AM)Nuits Grace Wrote:
(09-18-2013, 04:32 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: To be completely frank though...if I ever got to an executive position where money mattered alot to the company...now that I think about it I would very likely go for propositions that have tendencies to earn more as much as I hate to admit it.

Of course, that's normal but...in an industry where remakes rule and you can have any franchise you want and you won't take a single risk?

Come on....

As long as they don't remake any of Stephen Spielberg's classic films and franchises from the 70's, 80's, and 90's I'll stay happy.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
09-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(09-18-2013, 11:39 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote:

Come on....

As long as they don't remake any of Stephen Spielberg's classic films and franchises from the 70's, 80's, and 90's I'll stay happy.

It's already happened.

Super 8 is a remake of E.T.

[Image: luv.gif]
09-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Find
DavidS Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 4

My gym needs a "no wisecrackers allowed" sign... I am the only guy in my gym doing oly lifting and strength oriented training wich seems completely alien to most of the "beautilifters"... shut up and squat, chicken legs!

/////////////////////////////////////
09-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Website Find
Cuyir Offline

(09-18-2013, 11:44 PM)Wooderson Wrote:

Come on....

It's already happened.

BURRRRRRRRRRRRN.
09-19-2013, 03:40 AM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

(09-18-2013, 11:44 PM)Wooderson Wrote:

Come on....

It's already happened.

I barely remember watching E.T, and even though the two might contain similar ideas, I don't believe they are related.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
09-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Find