Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Living Memories - Total Conversion
Wapez Offline

Threads: 37
Living Memories - Total Conversion

Well, it's me again. The "Frunken Productions - RECRUITING" thread gave us a lot of luck. We are now about ten people instead of two, that will participate in this project. We are still looking for more people, especially model artists (link further below). However, I thought I might just post the main story in the early stages, and see what the community thinks. I will also give some information about the project.

The year is 1956. You are Andy Thompson, and you just quit your job as a VD on the insurance company. You want to spend more time with your family, as you just bought a house out on the country. The house is very old and big, but as your wife is waiting your third child, that's exactly what you need. You say goodbye to your colleauges, and take the train down to your family, which is waiting for you in the new house.
You're almost all alone on the train. You can't sight anyone except a man in a black coat and a hat. He seems to be peaking at you now and then, but quickly looks away as you look back on him.
The trip is long, and when you finally arrive it's become dark outside. The house isn't located far from the station so you start walking. The road gets darker and darker, and the trees drag closer and closer for each step. When you finally arrive after ten minutes of walking, you take a big breath, and enter the house.
Suddenly an incredible headache hits you. Your palms reaches your head faster than you could think, and you lean your head back and scream. As the pain is increasing, the house starts to change. New walls and paths emerge, and the complete structure changes, disobeying the laws of physics. You collapse, and just before you faint, you can see how the reality is starting to take form again. Or at least what you think is reality.

This is pretty much what I can give you guys as a story. This mod will be very much focused on the player being "inside" the game, and finding interest in what is going to happen to Andy. I can ensure you that the story of him will be most impressive.

Leave feedback in the comments!

I have now developed a "Testing Platform" that we will use to test the maps we have created. It's basically a custom story, without the story. You can simply put the map into the folder, make the platform read that map, and boom. Much more simple than having to send everyone the whole Total Conversion.
HERE IS THE DOWNLOAD LINK. IT INVOLVES THE PLATFORM AND A MAP, JUST TO SHOW HOW IT WORKS. SIMPLY PUT IT IN THE CUSTOM STORIES FOLDER AND RUN IT AS A NORMAL CUSTOM STORY.
http://www.mediafire.com/?efrhizf8ww3d1ba

One of the people we have started to co-operate with is the creator of Gary - Dark Secrets, sebastianmrm. I'm really excited by this, since I thought that he made a great job in his mod.

There will also be custom music, designed by SgtYayap. I have great expectations!

Frunken Productions is creating a webpage. I'm working on it right now, but I'm unsure when I will publish it. Keep updated on this forum during the progress!

I'll update this as often as possible with news. Thanks for leaving a comment and sharing your opinion.

[Image: Amnesia2012-10-0216-09-37-66_zps50e9c4b4.jpg]

[Image: Amnesia2012-10-0216-02-11-60_zps7ef9eac6.jpg]

[Image: Amnesia2012-10-0215-55-42-70_zpsf5d78eef.jpg]

These are some screenshots at VERY early stages. The huts on the stairs is an idea I got from Kman.

Founder & Legally Accountable Publisher of Red Line Games.
Environment & Gameplay Designer and Scripter.
http://moddb.com/mods/in-lucys-eyes
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2012, 09:27 AM by Wapez.)
10-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Living Memories - Total Conversion

Heeeell yea. This seems cool. Can I make the lantern for you? I've always wanted to do one Angel tell me the details by P.M

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2012, 10:19 PM by The chaser.)
10-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Find
Wapez Offline

(10-12-2012, 10:15 PM)The chaser Wrote: Heeeell yea. This seems cool. Can I make the lantern for you? I've always wanted to do one Angel
I'm a bit unsure regarding if were using a lantern or a flashlight. Some kind of new model is needed though, so stay tuned bro.

10-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

I'd really suggest working on lighting and detailing. The point/spot lights don't even appear to be colored and the rooms seem rather empty (using billboards never hurts either). Using the original game's maps as a reference for these things is a great way to improve your mapping quality.

Also, 10 people seems like an awful lot for a mod team, considering the original game had less than 15 developers (and is much higher quality than this based on what I've seen). The more people you get, the more likely it will far apart before you can publish a finalized version.

Good luck though....

I rate it 3 memes.
10-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Find
Shambles Offline

Threads: 4

The screenshots are to give a very basic, conceptual idea. They aren't meant to be "quality", but thank you. Hopefully this'll go good!
10-13-2012, 03:13 AM
Find
Wapez Offline

As I said, these screenshots are from maps that are FAR away from done. The lighting is something that I did not have time to experiment with before releasing these. But I will update this with better shots as soon as possible.

10-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Think I know where you got the idea behind that third screenshot ^^

Can't really make an accurate judgement of this in its current state since like you said they're WIP screenshots, but the first thing that jumps out to me is that you don't seem to have lowered the tile count on your planes. That's a very crucial step in mapping that a lot of people skip over just because they don't know how to or that they even can, but if you don't you can very clearly see the texture repeat (plus it looks unnaturally small). You also don't seem to be using any decals or particles, which can add a looooot of character to your maps. Other than that, I'd just say work on the issues Andy brought up.

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2012, 10:08 AM by Kman.)
10-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Website Find
Wapez Offline

(10-13-2012, 10:07 AM)Kman Wrote: Think I know where you got the idea behind that third screenshot ^^

Can't really make an accurate judgement of this in its current state since like you said they're WIP screenshots, but the first thing that jumps out to me is that you don't seem to have lowered the tile count on your planes. That's a very crucial step in mapping that a lot of people skip over just because they don't know how to or that they even can, but if you don't you can very clearly see the texture repeat (plus it looks unnaturally small). You also don't seem to be using any decals or particles, which can add a looooot of character to your maps. Other than that, I'd just say work on the issues Andy brought up.
Yep, all of those things are coming.

10-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Find
Wapez Offline

We now have new models for the sanity potion and laudanum, created by The Chaser. Man, he's awesome. One map is also close to done. Screenshots coming soon!

10-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(10-19-2012, 05:27 PM)Wapez Wrote: We now have new models for the sanity potion and laudanum, created by The Chaser. Man, he's awesome. One map is also close to done. Screenshots coming soon!
Blush Thanks, just practising Big Grin

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Find