Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

How does the Slenderman's AI (if that) work?
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
How does the Slenderman's AI (if that) work?

I've been reading about him in threads, or YouTube so I finally decided to play the game for myself. To be completely honest it was not very scary at all. However I was wondering how the Slenderman finds the player... like how does the game determine where to place him and such?

From what I've observed he acts like this...

L1 ~ [Game] Note(s) Collected: [if 0 than revert to line 1]
L2 ~ [Game] Note(s) Collected: [if 1 or or more continue to line 3]
L3 ~ [Game / Slenderman] Appear randomly (in front of player but not directly)

10-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
RE: How does the Slenderman's AI (if that) work?

Well, only the developer knows (in my opinion), but it's complicated. A lot of programming seems to have taken place there.

If you'd play "Slender: Prison", his AI is completely redesigned there (from scratch). The way he behaves in that level... can't go past 1/8.

In the other levels, it's a bit lightened up (Elementary allowed me 7/8 before loosing, Mansion lets me 11/12 before loosing). I kept replaying, and he gets more aggressive the more pieces you get.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Probably things like:

-Constantly checking to see how much pages the player has, and determine Slenderman's actions accordingly.
-Checking if the player is looking at Slender
-There is also likely so sort of variable that keeps track of how long total you've stared at Slenderman even if he doesn't kill you. From what I've seen, I'm guessing it affects some of his behavior depending how the total amount of time you spent looking at him too long.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
10-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

I've only played the first.

However I am guessing once you look at him (or it) a timer starts to tick down. How much smarter is he in Slender: Prison?

10-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I played it once, and it seems like a simple game of cat and mouse, slender just moves closer every so often until it catches the player.

If I were writing the code, I would do it like this:

Spawn the player and slender.

if(delta x and delta y between slender and the player are not 0){
Increment Slender's x and y coordinates periodically until the player is caught or the pages are found.
Possibly make him more aggressive depending on number of pages found, whether the flashlight is on, or how long the game has been going on, etc.
Maybe make him dance to sax.
}

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(10-18-2012, 08:02 PM)darkely Wrote: I've only played the first.

However I am guessing once you look at him (or it) a timer starts to tick down. How much smarter is he in Slender: Prison?
Well, if you look away from him when the static plays in it, he'll go "weeping angels" style. And he's super-fast. It's the hardest, because no matter what strategy you use, he gets you.

In the others, he just teleports, and moves only when he's close to you (from behind) or when you have 2 pages left or less.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2012, 08:27 PM by Robby.)
10-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Website Find
JeadDovah Offline

Threads: 0

I've Played it for a few times but i've seen many vids abot and i think i know how it works

-the slenderman spawn in X-distance from you by starting the game
- slender man has a specal range in that he can spawn For example: he can once in X seconds spawn
X meters
- the Range and/or the spawnrate grow with any page you pick up
- light (flaschlight) generates a Kind of shaddow how the slenderman can see
- he follows you
-if youre Standing still he overtake you and
- he recording specal ticks of you ( For exemple: if you loocking often for him he teleports in your back)

(sorry for my bad englisch)
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2014, 05:22 PM by JeadDovah.)
06-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Find
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82

This thread is two years old..

Derp.
06-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Find