Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Lego Bionicle(Nostalgia within!)
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
Lego Bionicle(Nostalgia within!)

6 heroes, known as Toa descend towards an island known as Mata Nui in canisters. Once assembled, they battle the evil forces of the Rahi and the Makuta by collecting 6 powerful masks. After beating the Makuta, a new evil known as the Bohrok awaken and threaten to destroy everything...

...what follows is 10 more years of story before lego cancelled the toy line.

This thread is to nostalgia everything. So Nostalgia away.

I'll start, Rahkshi are my favorite sets. But I think the Bohrok/ Bohrak Kal is my favorite storyline.

EDIT: Also I didn't know this at the time, but the original toa were called Toa Mata, not "Olda".

Just throwing that out there.

Also, how many collectibles did you get?

A brief summary of my best:

5 or so of the original masks in various colors. Including an infected Hau.

1 of the original matoran.(Tohunga for the 1st generation)

Vahi. I think I got the Orange, gold, and the disk.

At least one set from almost every generation(except 2008-2009)

Also, Mata Nui Online game is one of the best games I played in my childhood. The craftsmanship is something to be admired.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2012, 08:58 AM by Ghieri.)
10-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Lego Bionicle(Nostalgia within!)

IMO, I don't know if I'm blinded by nostalgia, or it's really a matter of quality, but I found the Mata-Nui storyline (2001-2003) to be most appealing overall. I loved the Mask of Light movie most out of all the three movies, YES, THERE ARE ONLY THREE!!!

As for the Bohrok-Kal, I loved them also, perhaps more than the Rahkshi, because you just can't go wrong with "talking" Bohrok. Those dudes mean serious business. Another reason the Bohrok storyline is probably my favorite is because it was massively expanded with a flurry of web-animations which added an extreme amount of increased appeal to the story-arc.

EDIT:
Quote: Also, Mata Nui Online game is one of the best games I played in my childhood. The craftsmanship is something to be admired.

1, 2, or both? I loved 2 for expanding upon the gameplay more than 1, but it was buggy as hell.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2012, 09:00 AM by Kreekakon.)
10-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

(10-20-2012, 08:59 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: IMO, I don't know if I'm blinded by nostalgia, or it's really a matter of quality, but I found the Mata-Nui storyline (2001-2003) to be most appealing overall. I loved the Mask of Light movie most out of all the three movies, YES, THERE ARE ONLY THREE!!!

As for the Bohrok-Kal, I loved them also, perhaps more than the Rahkshi, because you just can't go wrong with "talking" Bohrok. Those dudes mean serious business. Another reason the Bohrok storyline is probably my favorite is because it was massively expanded with a flurry of web-animations which added an extreme amount of increased appeal to the story-arc.
I thought there literally were only 3.

As for the web animations. Holy fuck yes. That made Bionicle 10x more appealing to me because the story, atmosphere, etc was SO WELL DONE IT ALMOST MADE ME CRY.

Quote:1, 2, or both? I loved 2 for expanding upon the gameplay more than 1, but it was buggy as hell.

1. I played 2 a bit when it was online but I got tired of farming for flax and seaweed. I picked it up again last year and actually got to the final Kohli match, but not past it.

Now for my least favorite parts:

-Barakki(Sp?) Those squid launchers sucked. At least it wasn't another "Toa build".

-Constantly losing pieces. I can only assemble roughly 80% of the sets that I owned. I had to get a replacement Lewa because I broke his mask. and lost some of his limbs. But I bought my sister's Gali for dirt cheap so I have that.

-My first choice set was NEVER on store shelves. I always got stuck with second or third choice, unless I ordered online.

-Everything after Metru-nui. Actually, everything after the Morzuba(I swear I can't remember these names. XD) saga, because after that it got ridiculously complicated.

Quote:1, 2, or both? I loved 2 for expanding upon the gameplay more than 1, but it was buggy as hell.

1. I played 2 a bit when it was online but I got tired of farming for flax and seaweed. I picked it up again last year and actually got to the final Kohli match, but not past it.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2012, 09:09 AM by Ghieri.)
10-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

What? They have closed it?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

They were my favourite Sad

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2012, 10:29 AM by The chaser.)
10-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Indeed. They were replaced by Hero Factory. The sets are ok but the story is meh at best.(If there even is one)

I think it's for the best. Honestly, there are some pretty cool sets in the later years of Bionicle, but I much prefer the simple island that I fell in love with.

Oh, and...(actual spoilers for 2010)

Spoiler below!

They nuked the island of Mata Nui so the actual Mata Nui could wake up and have a giant robot battle with Makuta. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

10-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(10-20-2012, 10:38 AM)Aldighieri Wrote: Indeed. They were replaced by Hero Factory. The sets are ok but the story is meh at best.(If there even is one)
I never got into that, but from I hear it's not much to my taste.

Also I'd love to see Hero Factory top something this:

"You cannot destroy me... for I am nothing."
-Totally a harmless little Matoran who's just a little rusty

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
10-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Quote: "You cannot destroy me... for I am nothing."

-Totally a harmless little Matoran who's just a little rusty
I Nostalgulated just now.

10-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

Everything after the Toa Metru series didn't interest me much, especially when it got to the underwater theme. The arachnid series was all right, the Hordika I believe. But my favorites were the original Toa, especially before they were remade slightly. The video of Onua arriving on the island is big time nostalgia for me.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
10-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I used to be hardcore into those things when I was growing up for a good 5 years or so, still have like 3 or 4 massive tubs filled with them. I read a looooot of the books, along with the comics that would come along with Lego magazine and watched all the movies, though since that was a good 3 or 4 years ago I barely remember any of the actual story behind it...

Also fun fact, when I was in like third grade or something they had a contest in Lego magazine where you were supposed to arrange the ones from a certain set (forgot which) in a battle scene and they selected the top 10 best pictures to get like a 300$ gift code for the Lego store. I basically just arranged them in some basic battle scenario and then got my dad to Photoshop a lava background onto it so it looked like it was a volcano, and somehow that won. Unfortunately after hearing that my dad had just Photoshopped on the background to the picture, all the kids at my school thought he also just Photoshopped the certificate that came along with winning so none of them believed me. Feels bad man Sad

Posting Freak
10-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Website Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Quote: I basically just arranged them in some basic battle scenario and then
got my dad to Photoshop a lava background onto it so it looked like it
was a volcano, and somehow that won.
I vaguely remember that contest. If you could post the picture, that would help jog my memory.

Also, fun fact: The MNOG(Mata Nui Online Game) Is available for download on the internet. It's a relatively easy game to beat now that my brain is more complicated than a toaster, but still. The nostalgia. Especially here:
(Sorry, embed wouldn't work with it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEvOugPc9fk&t=1m50s

I will say that I love the original toa(And the Nuva versions) to death, but Goddamn, 8 points of articulation is frustrating as hell.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2012, 11:22 AM by Ghieri.)
10-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Find